Confusing Symptoms. Looking for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousGuy97

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello Everyone,
I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read and respond to my thread.
A bit of background I am a 24-year-old male.
Starting at the end of 2020 early 2021 I began experiencing some sleep and balance issues as well as brain fog that cannot be attributed to anything specific. Other than that everything was fine.

Jump forward to April I consulted a sleeping doctor about getting some medication to help getting and staying asleep at night. I was prescribed hydroxyzine and then Trazadone. The trazodone did help me sleep, quite significantly however after only taking the Trazadone for a few days I woke up and my hands were incredibly weak, to the point where I could not hold a bag of mulch. As well as somewhat severe shaking/tremor of my hands and fingers especially when I move my fingers against gravity, for example picking them up to type. Around this time I also started having fasciculations, which if I am remembering correctly started in my legs but quickly moved to my entire body, including the trunk, limbs, face, etc. My balance got worse and my hands seemed to get weaker over the following couple of months.

I went to a neurologist where I was located who immediately without really any sort of work up told me I have benign essential tremor and sent me on my way (which in retrospect I believe he was trying to see as many people as possible.) A few weeks later I relocated to a much bigger city and decided to get a second opinion.

I was able to get an appointment with a smaller neurological office, where I had an MRI, EMG, and spinal tap was done. The way the practice was set up is a bit shady and actual neurologists themselves would never speak to patients for more than 5 minutes or so. The tech who did my EMG told me it was fine and that I was good to go. I was never given any sort of report and I have never received it even after calling and asking several times. The Neurologist told me there was nothing that was wrong and that I should try Lexapro, even though I have never had any sort of problem with anxiety.

Over the next few months leading up to now, I developed what I can only describe as extremely stiff muscles. Moving my neck up and down when sitting it feels as if it is on a rusty hinge, accompanied by lots of shaking throughout my body. For example, sitting up to get out of bed from my torso to my neck I shake uncontrollably as well as if I am sitting down and I lift my calf up with my foot on the floor, my whole leg shakes uncontrollably. It is very noticeable, my GP said it was extremely unusual. I have also had problems with shortness of breath and my voice changing/cracking which I find to be very unusual as it has not happened in years.

Thinking it may be a muscle issue I then went to my GP who referred me to a Rheumatologist, who referred me to a Neuromuscular doctor. My hand weakness and balance have gotten somewhat better but not significantly, and the fasciculations and tremors have remained. I saw the neuromuscular doctor last week who did a neuro exam and said my reflexes were quite brisk, a +3 everywhere I believe. She wanted to do another EMG this week which I have scheduled for Friday.

While I know this would be atypical, as would having the disease this young I am wondering if any of these symptoms sound familiar. While I am surely overthinking it I am curious why she would want to do another EMG and if anyone has any sort of input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there-

Please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting

Much of what you list does not have any association with ALS. Also, weakness with ALS does not improve. It sounds like you are currently under the care of a gp who is guiding your care and the neurologist next week should be able to provide further feedback. If you read the link above you will see a whole (incomplete) list of issues that are not ALS but cause weakness, sensory issues, twitching, etc.

I wish you well with your EMG next week. Hopefully it will help your neuro provide you some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back