Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
Ind
State
MP
City
Bhopal
My father has diagnosed 4 days back with MND-ALS but I am confused after meeting with two doctors, I am writing down two set of reports from other neuro surgeon. please have a look and advised me weather this is MND-ALS or not. I am attaching EMG and MRi reports as well. please help me, i am in a very bad situation... my father is everything for me....
There are two set of reports.

--1st Dr. has diagnosed my father with CK, CK MB increased value, which caused muscle pain and not being able to walk. Muscle pain only in thighs and calves no where else. due to this pain he is not being able to walk. He was talking cholesterol lowering tablet since 8 years(usually this cased ck-ck mblevel increased).
My father took the tablet to lower down ck- ck mb for 1 month, but no benefit. still my father is not able to walk, or else he walk only 6-7 steps. bcoz severe pain in calves. and if he want to go further pain increased and his legs going weak and he fell down. then we ask the doctor and he recommend for another doctor who is senior to him.

--2nd doctor took emg and MRi test(attached) and he said my father is having MND-ALS. but i am not sure due to some conflicts in symptoms. my father is having severe pain in thighs and when he walk on calves & thighs both. usually MND does not shows any pain in muscles. ck-ck mb . symptoms are mostly matched with my father illness.

please tell me whom i can consult, I am living in India and very much worried. Or is there any other test i am missing.

Attachments

• Dr. Khadelkar bombay hospital report.pdf
    990.9 KB · Views: 536
HM,
Without the actual EMG report (there is just a one-phrase summary), it is more difficult to speculate, and I cannot decipher all the notes. Because the NCS shows reduced velocity in the areas where he has pain, a second opinion is certainly called for (which we would always anyway). Spinal cord lesions sufficient to cause the sx seem to be ruled out. CK can be high due to the cholesterol tablet, which can cause myopathy -- muscle damage. But it can also suggest another disease or nothing at all. It could be worth tapering off or over to another drug in the class -- that would entail consulting with his cardiologist as well, given his cardiovascular history.

I do not usually talk about stem cells, but for a consult, I note a neuro practice, led by Dr. Alok Sharma, who seems to have a decent international reputation, is in Mumbai.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply...
I want to know, weather ALS is painless desease or painful desease. My father is suffering from severe pain in thighs. He took pain releiving tablet yesterday night. He have only thigh and calves pain issue. No other als symptoms.

Please read the sticky at the top of this section.

Pain is not a presenting symptom of ALS. There can be a lot of pain later in the disease usually due to frozen joints, inability to move or pulling on joints from totally paralyzed limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back