Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella- Your EMG is clean. If you have persistent symptoms- keep looking for answers, but I don't think it's ALS. Why not plan a trip to Toronto and have it checked- it may ease your worries and get some answers. I hear Sunnybrook is a great place. Maybe your GP can set it up for you. Clearly, you have to do something, or you'll drive yourself nuts with worry.

FYI I have no pain in my wrist when I pick up something heavy because I CANNOT pick it up. Try as I might.
(heavy is a coffee mug or my pants!)

Bella

There is a vast difference between the feelings of weakness you describe and the reality of Elaine's experience where picking up, say, a heavy book is completely beyond her ability.

That's obvious but it's equally obvious that you are profoundly anxious about this and you are not going to stop being anxious without getting medical help. So I'll second Elaine's advice; I've never been to Toronto, and would infinitely prefer to be in the Carribean in winter, but it sounds like the place you need to be at the moment.

With any luck it will help you get through this and back to enjoying your life again...

Thanks Ottawa Girl and Grateful. I have been putting off going back to Toronto for this because a trip home from here is just so expensive. This forum has been so helpful to me I can't even tell you. Not only information wise but just to say "out loud" how I am feeling. My folks are too old now to be able to take care of me if I ended up with something and I am not married. THIS is where my sanity just goes out the window. If I go back to Toronto I would also have to tell them why and I really don't want to give them reason to worry about me. I'm 26! They should not have to worry about me anymore!

So this is why I just cannot help but put my questions to you fine folks in hopes of making some sense of what's going on. Believe me if there was a neuromuscular doc here I would have seen them already. Sorry for the rant but just trying to explain why people like myself keep coming back with more questions. At this moment I cannot think if anywhere else to go.

Grateful I know I don't have the weakness that I read about on this forum. But of course my mind says "not yet". The twitching doesn't give me a chance to forget about this and now thinning muscles pretty much bodywide that has become obvious. My thighs were so sore and one twitched incessantly before I noticed the dent in the exact spot it twitched. Now they are both equally thinned with identical dents. I cannot even wrap my head around how this happened in much less than 2 months.

Bella- I don't know what else to tell you that may help. You are making yourself with worry. You acknowledge the right doc tors are not available where you live and you can't go to Toronto (where you likely have health coverage?).

I wish you well- but you should know that we parents are far more resilient than children think. I speak from first hand experience- my parents are 92- and are handling my diagnosis far far better than I had ever imagined. Life hurts sometimes. Parents know this.

It's your choice- do something- or not. It's your life. Do you want a happy one? or not.

What you're seeing in those pics is what EVERYONE sees when they look at a pic of their knees. Weakness ALWAYS comes before atrophy. It's what CAUSES the atrophy--the weakness, because weakness is the muscle DYING--and it won't atrophy in ALS until it's DEAD.

The only time weakness gets BETTER is in people with other issues such as trapped nerves, etc. ALS doesn't come and go--and it doesn't have a neg EMG, either. There is a dirty EMG OR very abnormal clinical exam.

Why can't you let this go and enjoy your life? Those here would have loved to see the clear EMG on their loved ones or themselves. ALS just isn't your problem, dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back