Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PL
State
WW
Hello All,
First of all I would like to thank you all for reading and answearing to my thread. I was hasitating for a year to write anything, was just reading other threaths and seeking advices from docs. Didnt want to bother anyone before but after a year I dont know what to do. Just to be accurate I will write down everything.I know that not everything matches ALS but I wanted to be fully honest.
About two years ago I felt down from the stairs and hit my right side of the neck and face .

Time past and I felt that my right hand is heavy. Neurologist didnt notice anything and ordered the ct scan of my head and neck. Everything was ok.

About a year ago I had a very strestful period at my job and I started having dizziness, nauseas and the feeling that my legs and right arm is heavy. As docs thought I may have MS they ordered MRI of neck and head. They came up ok . My blood test and usg only showed that I have Thyroiditis with normal hormon levels.

Time past and all of the symptoms went away except of my right hand. It is heavy everyday for the past year and now I have less strength in it. I can do everything but it cost me more strength to pick up anything even smth light or cut smth. I dont have enough strength to pick up smth heavy with it but I can with my left hand. My hand muscles are ok just the right shoulder . I went to few neurologists, my neuro exams went fine. Reflexes ok, didnt have any pathological reflexes. They tested my nerves in ncs and were ok and also few muscles of my shoulder: deltoid, trapezius and biceps. Everything went ok just the technician during emg exam kept asking me to contract with less force my muscles but I was doing it with very little force as I can. Dont know what was wrong for him.

But the end results were described as ok, no spontaneous activity and the rest of parameters ok such amplitude, duration and area. I just dont know what to do know. Went to couple of neurologists, some of them said that this is neurosis so i was taking antidepresaints for a half of year, im suplementing vitamins. Some of them said it is my thyroidits but other denied as i have proper hormone levels.

If I would have als would it be shown in those few muscles of my right shoulder? Its harder for me to pick up light staff such as a pan but I still can. After I cut smth for a while I have to sit down and rest my arm as it feel tired as I was cleaning windows for an hour. Just to add one more thing I also noticed fasciculations on my whole body, legs, belly, shoulders. I really appreciate any advice and opinions.

You have been cleared of ALS. The EMG would have picked up widespread active and chronic activity.

My suggestion is to go back to your primary care doctor with your concerns. He/she might refer you to an orthopedic doctor and physical therapy but ALS has been ruled out.

Im very happy, thank you. The ncs and emg was performed to check only if brachial plexus nerves and muscles ( deltoid, trapezius, biceps)wasnt damaged after the accident. But as I understand emg is universal and even though it wasnt performed for ALS it still checks those few muscles holisticly ? Just this one hand muscles were checked.

Yes, that is correct. An EMG checks for any abnormalities whether caused by ALS or something else. I agree with Kim that you might seek an orthopedic opinion and physical therapy.

Best,
Laurie

Hi again,
I was sent to the psysical therapy and there were performed tests of my muscle strength . The physical therapeutist noticed that few of my muscles are weaker such as serratus interior. She didnt knew what could cause it. Is it possible that my muscles can be weaker without any nerve damaged as I had an emg dedicated for brachial plexus ( checked 5 nerves and three muscles)? Had tested only three muscle in emg ( bicpes, deltoid and trapezius) is it enough to rule out the ALS? Thank you once again.

Yes, muscles can be weak for many reasons, hardly ever ALS. So I would continue with the therapy and see how the weak muscles respond. If they do not respond as they should, that would be the time to revisit the orthopedist.

Yes but I had already mri of my head and neck and blood tests, cant think of anything else. My symptoms last for at least a year.

You also had a normal emg. . Work with pt if it doesn’t get better follow up with your doctor as you were already told There are lots of things that don’t show up on the tests you had. A lot of them will get better with pt.

Please follow your treatment plan and see where it takes you.

Pt? Patience? Dont understand

PT= physical therapy

Hi,
I was working with PT and in fact I have more strength in my right arm now. However she noticed that my muscles in right arm are stiffed, the muscle tone is increased. My right arm is ok but feels heavy however not weak. What is odd after my right arm stoped being weak my right leg started to limp while walking and the muscles are stiffed also in right leg. I still have fasciculations but on my whole body. I know that it sounds now a lot less like ALS. Im feeling im starting to loose my mind. Cant function normally. Can it be smth else? I signed up myself to a psychiatrist, i consider it to be health anxiety but I just wanted to be sure that Im mentaly sick not physically. I have to wait two weaks for my visit.

Please read though this thread again. You’ve been cleared of ALS. The improvement in right arm strength further speaks to the fact you don’t have ALS.

It’s possible you have some other underlying physical issue. But that’s for your doctor to diagnose, not us. This is an ALS forum, not a general health or anxiety forum, and fortunately you don’t need to be here.

Best of luck with the psychiatrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back