Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
HI
Hello, I had an emg done recently, and it was clean. However, I'm a little concerned about the process. The nerve conduction with electrodes was done throughly but when it came to the needle part it was over and done in less than 2 minutes. 3 needles each arm, all in the muscle for less than a minute. Is this normally how it's done? Also, I have symptoms in my legs, not my arms. Shohkd I get another emg?

Hi Magnolia- you can definitely ask the neurologist about why they did not check your legs. They would be the person who can provide you the answers about their decision to just test your arms. They would also be the person to ask about next steps with regards to your reported symptoms.

( Past thread here for reference: Strange symptom presentation )

Thank you! I absolutely will contact my neuro tomorrow. Have you ever heard of the needle portions taking thst short of time for en emg? I'm trying to be armed with much information as possible before I request more info from him.

In your last thread you were asking if you should push for an EMG.
I'm wondering, did you do that? Did you specifically ask for this test or did a neurologist examine you and feel it was necessary?
The great news is that when an EMG is just done very quickly in a small amount of muscles it is because the clinical exam and the EMG is indicating no issue.

As advised, you need to discuss this with your doctor, they know what is going on. All the very best.

It is very common to test unaffected areas. In ALS, most areas tested will show specific damage, and even areas that seem fine to you will have damage.

It's not how long the test is, but how accurately it measures the way your muscles, sensory, and motor nerves work. An experienced examiner can do a test that seems short but does what it's supposed to.

That said, of course you have the right to follow up with any questions you have, to the examiner. You can also post it here (de-identified) for comment if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back