Country
US
State
NJ
City
Dover
I am fully paralyzed, in bed 24 / 7

just got a condom catheter, so i dont drive my wife crazy

for those experienced with these, how did it work out for u? and did it ever cause a Urinary Track Infection?

Thanks,

Pat

Cleaning is so important when changing them...and making sure it is draining and not staying by your penis.

They gave us these wipes....they worked to make the penis sticky....so the condom cath stayed in place. You must use warm water to get them off.

thank u Queen, how long did u leave them on?

Steve used them only a couple of times. He wore them for outings mostly. No real set thing.

just make sure you trim the hedges first, if you know what i mean!

just make sure you trim the hedges first, if you know what i mean!

Word.

How long do yall leave'em on?

a pals told me he leaves it on 24 / 7, for 2 years

My husband uses a product made by Advantage Urinal Systems called the Male Comfort Fit. It's a urinal that has a tube that drains into a bag. We have to insure we have a downward tilt to get it to drain in bed but otherwise we both love it. Were all set to get the condom catheter but so glad we got this instead.

second on the need for a trim! that glue is nothing to play around with.
ive been using these regularly for months with minimal problems. once i could no longer get to the toilet or hold a urinal, these solved the problem and made everyones life easier.
i wear one from late evening until mid morning. no one ever told me to limit use to a certain number of hours so i wore the thing more than 24 hours a few times. dont do that. between the humidity and semi vacuum that can happen when you urinate in a closed system, bad things happen down there. it took a few days to heal up.
other than that i have nothing but positive to say about them.

Thanks Kate. I looked the Advantage Urinal Systems up on Amazon and it had great reviews. When the time comes I will order one for Steve.

in an adjustable bed, with legs raised all the way up, and head raised, will that Advantage System work?

Pat, I could not sleep tonight due to having Steve's clinic so I looked it up on Amazon. One guy on there says he uses it sitting up and others use it in a hospital bed. Some even use it when in a car so I cant find a reason you could not use it. Amazon has a lot of reviews, questions and answers. Most of the reviews are good. Some have said the tubing is short but I think the bag cant be hung from the hospital bed rails.

I know if I post the link it will go to mod so letting you know that you can check it out of Amazon. There is a section for questions and answers so maybe you can find out more there.

One more update after further reading. Several questions about position on Amazon and all say it can be used in multiple positions.
See one below.

Do I have to sit up on the side of the bed?
Answer:
Not at all. You can be completely on your back in bed or in any position you like.
By The Howards on February 3, 2015

Unfortunately Pat, we have not figured out a way to get the urinal to drain with the bed's feet raised. We like it so much that we lower the feet portion of the bed, position the urinal and run the tubing down and off the bed, then use egg crate foam and a pillow to raise Job's lower legs and feet. I'm in the process of looking for a wedge that might be more simple to use. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back