Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
South Carolina
City
Goose Creek
For all my CALS who have knowledge (nurses) or have put on one of these cussed things, I need help. It is becoming harder -not a good choice of words - more difficult to put on Joe's condom cath. I've been using them for the last couple of months and all of a sudden, I'm having trouble not only putting it on but keeping it on. He has a horrible bed sore and that's all I need is to have urine get into the dressing.

First of all I don't think woman know exactly how to handle a condom. I said the the doctor "don't you have to have an erection for these things." He started laughing and said -well that would make it a lot easier. Ok Max, BigMark, Dalvin and all the rest of you guys stop laughing.

His doctor is coming over in the morning and we will probably go to a regular cath. Our oldest son, Michael, came over and I was telling him that I can bag him and suction out mucus plugs easier that putting on the cath. He responded by saying - well don't look at me. I'm serious Michael and he says so am I. Yep, nursing home is where I will be.

I told Joe the other day, ok buddy, we have 2 choices here. Duct tape or crazy glue. I got a little smile out of that. I do have some super prep that I apply.

Debbie

At this point (pun not intended) you should go to the indwelling catheter. It can be secured to his leg so that it doesn't get pulled, and there are silicone catheters that don't breakdown as quickly as the latex catheters. They are far less likely to leak, and that is the priority right now. To be honest an erection only helps when it is put on, but the minute it goes away, whoops there goes the condom. Thankfully I rarely had to deal with that type of situation.

Thanks Paulette. I had to look up indwelling catheter. I know it as Foley catheter. Knowing that it will probably cause infection, I don't think I have any other options. The stupid thing just came off again and urine everywhere. I have towels and a chux underneath him. Waiting on my sister to get here from church. If you just heard something - that's me screaming. Lol. Another hurdle I have to overcome. I can do it!

Debbie

Hi Deb,
the only other option is out for Jo now which is the suprapubic catheter which has far less, nearly no issues with infection once it heals in place. But it requires anaesthetic and hospital.

The indwelling catheter will do the job, but you are right, infections are too common with them and Jo already is compromised. These are such hard choices!

As you are aware, the issue of getting urine in that bed sore now is an important one to avoid. Is he still laying on his side most of the time? At least that helps prevent the urine getting onto the sore.

Those condom caths are great, but they do come off too easily, and my visions of the duct tape or crazy glue made my head spin!

Get all the information you can from your doctor on taking the catheter, all you can do is make an informed decision, we can't really know what will happen from one day to the next.

hugs girl, you can do it!

I have been able to get him on his side some. Yesterday 2 hours on each side. Nothing today.... At least it's a start.

Debbie

:oops::oops:ok...a real man needs to chime in here.....try using a smaller size condom catheter, you will have to measure the length and circumference of Santa Joes willy. Agreed the internal cath would be less of a POA, but another infection could be catastrophic.
:oops::oops:

>you will have to measure the length and circumference of Santa Joes willy.

ok, I'm outta here!

My DH used one a few time, and what a leaky mess! in theory they are awesome, but not fully functional. We had some kind of a tape to put on it but that did not always hold (except to pubic hair...)

Have you looked into the medical tape that you attach gauze to wounds? what about hair ties? the small one that have covers on them. If he is laying on his side you can also put a urinal up to him and just leave it there or If he has bladder control, you could place it there regularly when he needs to go and it would give you another excuse to turn him on his side as well. We have used one at night for years and no mess at all. The only trouble we have ever had is when I was half asleep and pulled it off and dumped it by accident all over the bed. :oops:

Mark I don't remember condom caths coming in sizes though...but if Joe is like most men he will claim he needs the extra large

BigMark I appreciate your answer. I have asked for a smaller one but I don't know if that will help. Barbie he has no bladder control now. Doesn't know when he has to go. What a time. From poop patrol to pee patrol. Geez........we have to position him in such a way (with the trach) I don't think the urinal will work either. I still say duct tape with Wd-40 to remove the tape. Trying to laugh instead of cry...his doctor is coming in the morning so I have a lot of things to discuss.

Still in a lot of pain with the bed sore. When he's not crying,he's moaning and groaning. I'm going to insist his comfort - lack of pain - be top priority. So what if he's sleeping all day. At least he won't be crying.

Debbie

BStill in a lot of pain with the bed sore. When he's not crying,he's moaning and groaning. I'm going to insist his comfort - lack of pain - be top priority. So what if he's sleeping all day. At least he won't be crying.

Debbie

That's the key Deb, insist on this being a palliative situation only when you are alone with the doctor and work out a pain control regime that is going to work. With a good regime, yes he will sleep more, but when he is awake he should be crying a lot less. You wake him to give the meds if you have to, don't let the pain build. This is critical to pain management and is so often the thing missed. If pain is allowed to build, then it takes more pain meds to get over the level, and longer, and then doesn't last as long. If the pain is controlled and not allowed to build, well then he will actually need a little less and will stay on a more even level.

hugs

Thanks Tillie. As usual you are so full of knowledge. Doctor came over and received an emergency call from the hospital and had to leave. Did get to discuss pain management and also decided on regular catheter. Nurse came over and cath in. Thanks everyone for the input. Hopefully being in a home setting will cut down chances of infection. Another day - another challenge.

Debbie

Great Deb. I agree, just you looking after that cath there will reduce infection chances. Now that it is in that is hopefully one less thing to worry about constantly.

So you have put a pain med regime in place? Pity the doctor got called away just when you wait for them and think you are going to get a full session to ask all you want.

It may take a couple of days to really get the cycle of being pain free with regular meds going well, persist, it doesn't happen just with the first dose or 2.

The pain med regime they worked out for Chris was brilliant and the doses were small but regular. Pity that as soon as he came home after 5 days in palliative care to get this right he then refused to take any of them again ... *sigh* So you now have to be Jo's advocate and just give them.

That's what I plan to do. I told his nurse I would rather have him pain free for 5 days than in pain for 10. Quality vs quantity is where I'm at now.

Debbie

I am a caregiver full time for my husband. He recently became incontinent and deceided to try the external leg Catheter. The first few ties the condom went on fine but now after two weeks it does not stay on. After many nights of bedwetting changing sheets and going crazy I tried medical tape and a jock strap which I cut a small hole in to keep the penis in place. It is some what helpful overnight but yes the sore skin is now a problem. Does anyone have solutions on keeping the oondom on especially overnight and during the daytime. I thought the leg catheter would give us freedom but alas it is very frustrating. HELP...:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back