Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
colorado
City
aurora
I am posting for a friend who.is having unusual symptoms and is afraid it might be early ALS, she does havens family history, I think her.aunt passes.away in her late thirties from it. The problems started with tingling and aching in her hands and arms that essentially just.come and go, will last.for.hours or will not present for hours. At times the way she describes the.hand pain it sounds similar to Carper tunnel.but isn't limited(.to.just those areas. The day after.experiencing that.she started.getting tingling and similar dull pains in her feet/ankle areas. She hasn't complained of.any weakness or loss of strength. These symptoms having been going on for a few days.now.off and.on and I know she's having a lot of anxiety due to it aswell. I finally convinced her to set up an appointment with her Doctor over it. Do any of these symptoms point to ALS as a possibility? Sorry I am sure You guys are tired of questions like this but I am just trying to get any insight to possibly calm her nerves until she gets seen. Thank you.

Tingling and pain are not symptoms of early ALS, as I'm sure your friend's doctor will tell her.

Like trfogey said, tingling and pain are not a symptom of ALS. She could be dealing with a slightly pinched nerve, or since it has only been a couple days, her viatmin balance in her body might be a little off. Make sure she is taking daily vitamin...and if she sits a lot to change positions frequently to prevent pinched nerve. Of course a visit to the dr. is a good plan, but you can be sure that ALS is NOT the problem. Good luck to you and her.

Has your friend been to a Dr? As Trfogey stated tingling and pain are not signs of ALS onset.

Thank out guys for some responses. I think she is super paranoid because of her Aunt and I guess her pcm told her it was possible but I who knows. One more question though, with ALS are the symptoms constant or do they come and go?

True ALS symptoms (muscle weakness, paralysis, changes in muscle tone, changes in reflexes, etc.) do not come and go. Once you have them, they stay with you for life.

Thankfully, those are not ALS symptoms. Pins and needles, numbness and tingling and pain are much more likely to be Vitamin B12 or peripheral neuraphy I'd they are in hands and feet both.

Confined to just hands, my guess would be carpal tunnel or a pinched nerve somewhere.

Only 10% of ALS is the family type, and there is a test for the gene. You don't mention her age or history, but unless she has the gene for ALS, her chances of having it are about 1 in 200k. Perhaps even less as she has an aunt with it. I'd suggest reading the sticky posts.

Early symptoms are weakness followed quickly by loss of function and paralysis. Tell her to see the GP, and to put ALS out of her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back