Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Loganville
Hi guys! Long time lurker here! I am having some real concerns with my health, and was hoping you could share your opinions on my symptoms. I have read the sticky, and greatly appreciate you taking time to look over this. I have listed all symptoms I have been having, and am scheduled to see a neurologist later this week, but after reading so many of your responses I figured it wouldn't hurt to post here either! Thanks in advance!

Symptoms
-December 25th, woke up with a severe headache that persisted for 3 weeks. Unresponsive to NSAIDS, caffeine, increased water intake substantial rest. At this time I was working erratic hours (night shift, then day shift, then night shift again) in a high stress environment.

-December 30th, went to urgent care, prescribed Doxycycline (100mg q12) and Prednisone (50mg q24) for acute sinusitis. Discontinued Prednisone after 3 days due to inability to sleep and hyper excitability.

-Initially felt better for 2-3 days, but by January 6th I was back to feeling bad. I was having dizzy spells, extreme fatigue, and also started having trouble with blurry vision, especially when driving at night, along with the persistent headache.

-Went to GP on Friday, was given a Toradol injection IM for pain, and put on Augmentin in the event the acute sinusitis was still causing a problem. Also had full labs drawn and sent out. PA advised me to seek attention at ER for imaging over the weekend if headache got worse.

-Went to ER on January 7th with severe headache and extreme blurred vision. Lab work and CT scan done, all WNL. I was given an entire bag of fluids, as well as Benadryl and Dexamethasone IV. Prescribed Acetaminophen/Butalbital/Caffeine pills to take when headache got worse. Felt slightly better after returning home from the ER, but still concerned about something like MS/ALS. ER Physician advised me to see an Ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

-Mid January saw ophthalmologist. Had visual field test done, WNL. Also had eyes dilated and thoroughly examined. No signs of optic neuritis, and everything else looked ok. Eyeglasses prescription still good. Ophthalmologist suggested I may be suffering from dry eye and inflammation. Prescribed Tobramycin/Dexamethasone 0.3-1% drops. Instilled drops in both eyes every 4 hours for 4 days, then tapered down as prescribed. Rechecked with ophthalmologist the next week, and she advised me to see a neurologist since the headache was still present but vision was improving.

-Called GP and went back in for additional thyroid lab work to make sure my symptoms were not from being hypothyroid. All lab work came back WNL.

-Started a new job working normal hours on January 17th, and started to feel better with a more normal schedule. Less headaches and blurred vision. However, I still felt “off” but could not put my finger on what it was. Called GP and requested a neurology referral.

-January 24th I started to notice my left arm felt like I was constantly hitting my funny bone. When I tapped the underside of my tricep muscle right above my elbow, it would send a tingling “shock” feeling down the outside of my arm to my pinky and ring fingers. Initially it was not bad, but over the past 3-4 weeks I have lost most of the feeling in my left pinky finger and half of my ring finger. My left forearm also twitches regularly, and my pinky and ring finger on left arm feel much colder. Google tells me my symptoms match Cubital Tunnel Syndrome? However, I have had random muscle twitching on my right arm (dominant arm) as well as my legs. I do sleep with my arms bent, and my left arm twitches more when it is bent.

-In late January I rolled my right ankle walking, and since then it seems much weaker. (This may be totally unrelated I just wanted to mention it)

-Early February I started noticing the back of my head feeling very heavy. I constantly feel the need to rest it on my hand or lean back on a head rest, especially when I am seated. Also feels better when I put my chin to my chest and stretch neck out. It’s almost like my neck muscles aren’t strong enough to support my head in proper posture. I have also had drainage (potentially from allergies) so I’m not sure if the head and neck issue is related to the drainage.

-I usually wake up feeling very stiff around my shoulders and neck, and I have noticed when I am holding the phone, or doing my makeup, doing things around the house etc. my arms and shoulders (trap muscles) are getting more tired than usual. (Started 2/10-current)

-I had once instance where I felt like I had to really focus on swallowing. Unsure if that is related to allergies and drainage. No choking when eating, but a little more mucus than usual (possibly related to drainage from allergies?)

-Shortness of breath when talking on the phone, walking around, more so than usual. Started (2/10-current)

-Constantly feel like my throat is very tight, and it is harder to swallow than usual. Like someone has their hands around my throat, and there is a lump. But not the kind of trouble swallowing you would have with a sore throat, more like a Globus sensation. Feels worse after eating and drinking caffeine, or if I am stressed. I have taken Omeprazole regularly and that does not seem to help. (2/7-current)
-Increased cramping in both feet. Improved by stretching. (2/14-current)

-Tongue and inside of mouth randomly start tingling, and sometimes my tongue feels numb for a little while. Usually numbness goes away within 30 minutes to an hour, but happens very randomly. (2/7-current)

-All symptoms are made worse by stress and anxiety.

-Still very fearful of MS/ALS/debilitating nerve/muscle disorder. No family history on mother’s side, but have no medical knowledge on father’s side due to adoption.

-Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder several years ago, and regularly struggle with health anxiety. Well aware these “symptoms” could all be manifestations of my anxiety, but I will not be able to relax until MS/ALS/debilitating
nerve/muscle disorder are ruled out if at all possible.

-Previous MRI in 2013 for abnormal vision changes was WNL.

You can rest easy. Nothing you say points to ALS. However, you still have a life altering disease. Anxiety can rob you of not only your health but also your life. Its not fatal but it might as well be for those who do not seek help. You should stay off this forum, quit lurking and get some help for anxiety.

Thanks for the reply, scaredwifetx. Already in the process of finding a therapist that specializes in health anxiety!

I went to the neurologist on 2/23, and he put me back on Zoloft and seems to think many of my symptoms are anxiety related. He also thinks I'm suffering from ulnar nerve entrapment on my left arm, so I am going back in for an EMG on Saturday. However, the muscle twitching continues on my arms and legs, and things feel much heavier and harder to hold with my right arm. Even holding my water bottle starts to make my arm tired. Do you think I should still be concerned with ALS with so much twitching and fatigue in my arms? Thank you all for your help.

Just re-read the sticky and I feel a little better. Also, I apologize for posting outside of my thread. I didn't realize that was a no-'o until just now. If I have the EMG for ulnar nerve entrapment and it comes back dirty, is there a way the doctor can tell the difference between that and something more serious like ALS?

Yes, the numbers and waves are completely different in something that is basically a trauma to one particular nerve. In ALS, the EMG shows that basically all the voluntary motor neurons (nerve cells) are under attack. In your case, if you have ulnar entrapment, it will show that the cells that make up the ulnar nerve aren't conducting impulses normally.

As an aside, you've had several issues where the rx thrown at them seems disproportionate to me. It's important to keep in mind that every drug powerful enough to do something good, minus an antihistamine or two, is also capable of doing harm, and some of your symptoms could relate to your treatments as well as disease.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. I feel better knowing that there would distinct differences on the EMGs. I hate how quickly practitioners are so hand out medications, and I really wasn't thrilled about going back on Zoloft. However, given how stressed I have been and my past history with health anxiety, it's definitely time to get
it under control.

I had my EMG test done Friday, and sense then my forearms have seemed even weaker than usual. It feels like I've slept on them for several hours and all I want to do is let them go limp. I also seem to be dropping things more frequently. Has anyone else experienced this after an EMG test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back