Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
I've been having symptoms that are scaring me very badly for a few weeks. It started with a tight feeling in my left forearm and shoulder, which has persisted. The onset of the tightness was soon followed cold feeling at the top and outside of both thighs that slowly moved around over a period of several days to my calves and sometimes arms, although it has stayed mostly in the legs. It is most noticeable when sitting. After a couple days, the cold feeling concentrated more heavily on my left side than right.

Soon after the onset of the cold sensations, I developed twitching in both legs. Although the twitching is mostly concentrated in thighs and calves, it has occurred elsewhere, also, namely feet, back, thumbs, hands. It subdued for a couple days, then recently came back - and notably. It is most troubling at night (when I sometimes notice other sensations, primarily in my feet) and when sitting down. I have noticed that my legs are noticeably shaky, especially when standing still. The tight feeling in my left forearm/bicep/shoulder has maintained, though I think it could be possible that it has been more noticable at some times than others.

I'm posting because I am having trouble understanding the onset of ALS and am seeking your opinion on my symptoms as they relate. I guess my difficulty understanding could be attributed to 1. things I'm reading are conflicting, which scares me and makes me feel out of control, and 2. the scared feeling itself. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sounding anything even remotely like ALS.
This is our official position and worth reading through twice as there is a lot of information here:

Please go see a doctor so you can be examined and your fears discussed carefully :)

(1) No, this doesn't sound like ALS.
(2) To feel less scared, visit a primary care doc and be reassured that your strength is normal, and s/he may want some lab work to make sure there is no systemic cause that should be addressed.

Sleep, nutrition, hydration and stretching/bodywork, even therapeutic massage, are all worth considering. In particular, cold feelings can relate to circulation, which suggests swimming, walking, staying active. Stop reading about ALS, get out of your chair, and take a nice walk through the arboretum or a park.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back