US
State
NJ
City
Morristown
Previous thread #1
Previous thread #2

So I’m kind of concerned with some things that have been arising lately, for
The past month or so I have noticed that I have been tripping over words often and have noticed that I’m not able to imitate voices that I used to. The jaw on my right side feels achy and I have this right feeling in my chin and weird feeling I’m my tongue like it’s exhausted. Does this sound like bulbar onset?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RR you never posted your EMG results from last year, how did that go?
What you are reporting as your new symptoms are not linked to ALS - you might need to go be examined by a doctor rather than asking a forum (even a televisit exam will decide if you need to see an ENT or dentist maybe).

I have an appointment with my neuro in a few weeks, I just recently went to the dentist last week but didn’t ask her about it. Once I figure out how to upload it I’ll post it. The mouth symptoms just were a bit concerning to me

Most often, getting more sleep and maybe a new pillow will help what you described. If it persists, certainly look into dentistry/ENT options.

I went to the ENT and he said physically everything looks fine but couldn’t give me a reason. He told me if it persists to follow up with the neuro. My question is they did and emg and ncs on my upper body in October, the needle emg was just in my shoulder, idk why he did it there since most of my issues are with my right arm from elbow to wrist. Would it still detect it only doing that area, also my right arm feels tight and dexterity feels off. Does that sound anything like als?

The hallmark of ALS is certain abnormal EMG findings in most or all muscles tested. So a normal EMG is always good news.

As we've said before, nothing you've reported sounds like ALS.

Thank you for the reply! Just wanted to double check, the neuro that did the emg didn’t really explain anything or go over it with me. I was having twitches in my ankle and shortly after my leg aches the whole day from that spot out, any ideas what would cause something like that

So many things I could fill pages.
The best bet is to keep in touch with your internist, who can help you track any changes or issues that are really serious. S/he can also refer you for physical therapy if there is reason to believe that it could help.

I have an appointment with a new neuro to go over the old emg and he wants to do one on my legs just to double check. I’ve been having issues with my tongue feeling off like tired and can’t do funny voices for my daughter like i used to does that sound like bulbar onset

It still doesn't sound like ALS - please let us know after your neuro appointment, until then everyone would only be making guesses.
I hope the new doctor finds something that you can both work with.

I hope so to, how fast does als progress if I’ve have the weak feeling for a year and a half with the changes in ability and the mouth issues for a month could bulbar progress that fast?

my husband was dead within 11 months.
There is no cure for ALS so just wait and see the new doctor, whatever is going on is highly likely to have a cure. Please don't post again until you have results from the new neurologist as we can't contribute anything more until then.

Hey all went to the neuro today who did an emg on my legs, said everything looked good. I asked about my mouth issues and he said als would cause tongue twitching which I don’t have. Thank you all for your support and knowledge. One question before I end this thread, even though my worry was bulbar als would still show up even if just my legs were done correct

Yes, it would have. Therefore, you do not have it so you can go live a long, healthy life.

Best of luck to you and take good care.

Hey all, I went to an orthopedic to get to
The bottom of the issues with my arm, he did an emg and told me I have severe cubital tunnel syndrome but I don’t have any of the hallmark traits like constant numbness and tingling and clawing of the pinky. I do get periodic numbness and weakness during sleep but not constant. We were both pretty confused at the outcome of the emg, he told me to wait six weeks and see how I feel. This doesn’t sound like als being confused for cubital tunnel syndrome does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back