Not open for further replies.

Ben41

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello. I'm sorry to bug you guys but I've been experiencing a somewhat troubling symptom and wanted the opinions of people who have more experience in this area. I recently began experiencing unexplained twitching in my left bicep, particularly when in bed and resting on my elbows (I'm a stomach-sleeper). I read the stickies and I recognize that I am in a low risk demographic (early 20s) for an already rare disease. Still, the fact that the twitching is confined to one muscle that I hadn't injured scares me, particularly since I have heard that ALS often starts in one limb before gradually spreading to the rest of the body. If I had just a general twitchiness all over I'd be more likely to attribute it to caffeine or fatigue. I stopped drinking coffee and tried to get more sleep. So far, it hasn't made a difference. I haven't noticed any changes in my left hand. So far, it's all in the bicep. I haven't noticed substantial weakness, although it's possible other muscles could be compensating for that. There seems to be so much variation in how this disease starts and progresses that the uncertainty is really getting to me. The fact that I'm already an anxious person doesn't help. I guess what I want to know is does any of this sound like it could be early ALS? Is it possible for twitches to precede serious weakness?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I know I'm just one of many people nervously posting about symptoms that could be nothing, but I really appreciate the kindness.

Hey Ben if you read that sticky again it is clear that twitching means nothing, it is not spreading twitching that is a concern at all. What did your doctor say? Please start by being examined, then join an anxiety forum if you need peer support. Please go deal with this rather than googling and posting on forums. All the best sorting this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back