Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IE
State
IE
City
Dublin
Good morning. I have had slightly noticeable reduction in mass in my thumb and forefinger on my left hand (Not dominant hand). I also have a dragging sensation down the thumb and forefinger. I was trying to ignore and telling myself that my thumb and finger were probably always smaller than the other hand but a week ago the muscle jumping started and has not stopped (although not constantly). At this stage I started my Dr Google search and as a result here I am. I hope you don’t mind asking the following. Can ALS start with slight atrophy and muscle jumping before weakness or failure? Or does atrophy only happen after weakness. Thanks for your time

Atrophy generally follows weakness in ALS since the weakness is caused by dead nerves. It is most likely an overuse or pressure injury -- being your nondominant hand doesn't rule this out -- or nothing. Your doc can baseline your strength, even on video, and suggest any tests needed.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks. My wife thinks I am daft, and that no two hands would be the same. I suppose I am a bit embarrassed to go to my GP during a pandemic and ask of “he thinks my fingers look different”. I would not have even noticed myself until I got the dragging sensation on them and that prompted me to examine them. I have been doing all types of “strength tests” on them and I don’t seem to have any weakness at all. But the onset of intermittent muscle jumps on the hands freaked me out.

I am sorry that I am joining someone else’s thread, I think it’s against the rules, but I joined to learn more about ALS. With regard to the previous reply can I ask why you cannot hear yourself slurring your words, but others can. Is there a medical reason you can’t hear it yourself? Sorry, maybe a silly question but I am confused. Surely you would hear it yourself.

I moved your post please ask all questions here.

with true bulbar slurring it is virtually always true someone else hears it first eventually the person hears it too of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back