Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
New Jersey
City
UB
Hello everyone. I have been driving myself crazy the last few weeks. It seems like over the last couple months I was experiencing some pain in my right knee. Not all the time, nothing major. Fast forward til about 2 weeks ago. I started having some rib pain on my left side, then knee pain on my left side, elbow pain on my left side and left arm fatigue. Also have had some on and off pain in my knee and right elbow. Seems like now I have some tightness from my left elbow to my hand and fingers. As of today, same thing on my right elbow to my hand and fingers, especially in the thumbs. Also, a few days ago I started feeling like my calves were tight and my legs feel weak when I walk. Walking up and down stairs don’t really give me a problem except the fact that my thighs feel like they are burning sometimes. Like I just got done with a workout. I haven’t noticed any tripping or any problems with my hands yet. I have an appt with my dr tomorrow just to be safe.

Can ALS symptoms start and come on that quick?

Should I be worried?

Thank You

No, this isn't how ALS works. See your doctor and let her figure out what is going on.

Sounds like a poor attempt at making fun of us.

I promise I am not making fun of anybody. I would never do that. I’ve been researching symptoms and driving myself crazy. I thought I would come on here and ask a couple questions. I’m very sorry if I came off that way. Please accept my apology.

Firefighter, it is very easy (unfortunately) to come up with ALS while Googling all kinds of symptoms. Though we are visited by trolls on occasion, the vast majority of new posters in this section are genuinely concerned, even if we can see they have no reason to be. It is real to them.

Ljr, you're in that fortunate group that Google or some other resource has led astray. If the burning continues, it's a good time to get checked out by your primary care physician who can reassure you or advise if you should take things further for some other reason -- not ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. I saw my GP this morning. Explained to him my concerns. He took blood work and did a physical examination. He did a physical test of all my muscles. He said all seemed ok. Said no need to see a neurologist. Still kind of worried. All this stuff started happening roughly 2 weeks ago. The muscle fatigue only over the last 4-5 days. My legs just feel heavy and feel a little stiff. He didn’t seem to concerned. Thank you for your response

Seems like over the last 2 days both calves, both thighs/hips, down by my ankles and sporadically by my shoulders have been twitching. My legs still feel fatigued/heavy. I can do everything that i normally can do. Starting to freak out. My GP took my blood yesterday and said he will call with results on Thursday. I had a colonoscopy about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it seems like all this started around then. The muscles feeling tight/fatigued and twitching about 3-4 days ago. Dr thinks possibly the prep of the colonoscopy may have cleaned out my electrolytes. He’s not sure. I called 15 different neurologist today and found one that had an appt for me tomorrow. So I’m headed there tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I’m jumping the gun and I should have waited until Thursday for my blood to come back but the anxiety is making me crazy.

Yes you should wait for lab results. You should also have listened to your physician’s assessment.

Whether there is anything wrong with you physically ( you have already heard your pcp’s opinion and ours about whether there is an ALS concern) you clearly are behaving in an anxious manner. Not waiting 3 days for lab resukts and calling 15 neuros shows that. Whatever comes of the blood work and the appointment you need to address the anxiety.

At this stage your best bet is to address the severe anxiety you have let consume your life. You called 15 neuros; that shows you are not in control right now and that your anxiety is. To date, you've described not a thing that constitutes what ALS onset is. I hope when the neuro tells you the same thing tomorrow that you will believe him or her.

Be grateful for your good physical health, don't go chasing a disease you don't have.

Good luck to you and take good care.

I have read your posts twice.

First, after calling 15 Neurologists then finding one that will see you
tomorrow, I’d sure question that… and him/her.

Time to be blunt… (I’ve been branded with at times.)

You need to address moderate to severe anxiety.

You need to address the debilitating effects of hypochondria.

Very knowledgeable members have given their opinion.

That’s mine.

Research the Neuro who was available to see you in just one
day’s notice. Hundreds of posters here have lamented about
waiting weeks to see a Neuro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back