Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Costa Mesa
I had left knee replacement two and half years ago. After surgery still not walking great and knee was still a little swollen. May, 2011 I noticed my back became very stiff and had trouble walking, had what was a burning feeling in my left thigh, and some toes on both feet feel alittle numb - had a gait and went to ortho - he took MRI and show significant lumbar spinal stenosis. At that appt. I had difficulty walking on toes and heel to toe. He was concerned and sent me to neurologist in July - the neurologist was a different kind of guy that did not really explain anything. At neurologist app. some of the same symptoms were present and he noticed wasting in my right hand. I told him that I had noticed this over the past five years. I had an EMG that showed issues with my lumbar stenosis and expressed concern about MND.

Since then my back has improved and I walk much better and can now heel/toe and walk on my toes, but my hand looks like symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome - I have read that pinched nerves in the shoulder can help cause this but the neuro never asked any questions about it. I have always had some fasciculations and when I am nervous thinking about MND they come and then I go days without any. I am a big guy and my weight has stayed constant. I am going to see an ortho on my hand next week.

Thoughts?

Glad that your gait has improved. Good luck with the Ortho. Let us know how it goes.

1) If the wasting in your hand has been there for five years and hasn't spread into the rest of your arm, it's unlikely that the wasting is caused by ALS, especially if there is no accompanying loss of functionality.

2) The issues in your legs appear to be caused by the lumbar stenosis. Take care of it and hopefully the leg issues are behind you.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused locally, at the wrist. It can be determined quite simply, by having a nerve conduction test, whether or nor CTS is causing the atrophy in your hand.

It is easily fixed by an orthopedic surgeon, under a local anesthetic or arm block. If it is CTS and you have atrophy from it, then it's important to get it fixed before weakness affects your day to day living. The damage is not always reversible after surgery if you leave it too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back