00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Independence
Hello,

Can someone please shed some light on these symptoms for me? The background is that I wasn't having any problems until 8 weeks ago when I severely herniated my L5S1 disc, left lateral extrusion, compressing the S1 nerve and severe stenosis on the left, and mild stenosis on the right. I am 8 weeks into healing with conservative methods, and have been having massive amounts of anxiety about the sensations I've been experiencing since the herniation. I have had a brain MRI in the last week, which came back normal.

Due to the incredible amounts of anxiety, my Dr. upped my Lexapro does from 10mg to 20mg, which I started about 10 days ago. 3 days ago, I began feeling very shaky in my hands, arms and legs, and have been having muscle twitches all over my body. My quadriceps are feeling very heavy and tired, and I am very dizzy as well.

Does anyone recognize these as early ALS symptoms?

No, I don't, and I think you knew that going in.

Any SSRI can cause twitching and weird feelings. In addition, they can change your sleep architecture (e.g. reducing your deep sleep) and this in turn contributes to how you feel during the day. This Lexapro dosage might not be right for you. I would notify the prescriber who can discuss whether you should consider backing off on the dose, another SSRI or another class entirely.

If you are having massive anxiety just about the herniation, counseling might be more on point than drugs. It is only normal to be scared when you injure your spine, but treatment has advanced quite a bit and if you diligently follow recommendations for PT, home exercise, NSAIDs, etc. the odds are very much in your favor for a good outcome whether you have to advance to more interventional treatment or not.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your kindness. I backed off the dosage of the Lexapro, so I'm hoping that will calm things down a bit.

The nerve issues are what I think scares me about the back problem- first it was numbness and tingling. That went away, then, I started getting the twitching everywhere and my legs and arms started feeling heavy and shaky, I turned to Google...and ended up here.

I guess I am just looking for reassurance that these symptoms don't add up to ALS- I spent all weekend Googling and panicking.

Thanks very much for your reply again, I appreciate it immensely.

Hello All,

I hate to bother you and return to this forum, but hoping for some guidance. I saw my GP for my concerns and he said he has no concerns whatsoever that my symptoms are related to ALS, rather he thinks they are caused by anxiety. My quads are no longer heavy, but I am still twitching throughout my body, my hands are shaky and my left hand feels stiff. I am trying to reassure myself that the twitching is benign, but what about the stiff hand symptom? I am having repeated panic attacks over this and cannot get it under control. Thanks in advance.

Hello-

It's pretty tough for people here to disagree with a doctor who has examined you and provided you feedback about their observations in person. You also report sensory issues (which, if you'll read the Read Before Posting link, you will find points away from a motor control issue). Laurie also gave you some excellent advice. While we can't speak to what may be the foundation of your twitching issues, ALS is not the problem, based on your other reported symptoms.

If you are unable to control your panic attacks, you must address this with someone who can work with you directly- you deserve the support while you look for answers. This forum really can not help you with that though- we are not qualified to provide health anxiety support, and it is not the focus of what we do here.

Please take care as you continue to work with your doctor.

Thank you so much for your kind reply, I appreciate it. It all started when I Googled tremors and twitches and ALS was the first thing that popped up. Every little sensation I feel in my body, I convince myself it is the ALS presenting itself, and I am obsessing about it. It's literally making me crazy. I am working with a doctor who has prescribed me anxiety medicine and I'm hoping it kicks in soon. I am deeply sorry for everyone in this forum who has received, or loves someone who has received an ALS diagnosis. You all are stronger and braver than I could ever imagine being. Thank you again for the kind reply and God bless.

Besides counseling/meds, some ways to get out of the crazies are to double down on things you enjoy, see people (safely; take advantage of the weather), and help the less fortunate in some way.

Hello All,

I know you relayed above that sensory sensations point away from ALS, but can they occur at the same time? For instance, if I have tingling in my hands, or a finger, does that mean ALS cannot co-exist at the same time?

Of course anyone can have two things wrong with them at once but nothing you have said would make one think ALS and your doctor told you that too

Please continue to work with your doctor and be honest about your fears and panic attacks

I think we have answered as much as we can. Please address further questions to your doctor

Closing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back