Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
MIDDLESBROUGH
Hi, I saw neurologist at end of January 2020 and nerve tests done 14th February. My symptoms were weakness and mispronunciations of some words. Feel like I have to concentrate to speak properly although some words came out wrong examples, bin instead of bean,
the nerve tests only did my four quadrants. Nothing involving my tongue /chin/jaw etc... Was told no sign of MND. Since February my speech has got much worse. Hoarse voice sometimes. Lips not as strong as normal. My palate feels smooth or that maybe issues with tongue. I can talk “normal” as long as it’s one sentence but words sometimes with M at beginning are mispronounced. I couldn’t do a speech without problems . I sometimes struggle to actually get my words out as if my jaw has seized up. When I chew or talk my teeth clatter together as if my jaw has moved or is loose. I also have an indent just above my lip (puckered) and one on my chin . I’ve had only a few issues with drinking/eating... The other strange thing is my tongue sometimes is very sore, tingles especially after I have spoken. I am extremely worried and maybe should go back for further tests but might take a while due to current situation therefore I am asking for your advice. Huge thanks in advance . Px

Soreness and tingling point away from ALS. Normal EMG in the limbs still makes bulbar very unlikely.

So I agree this is not likely to be a MND. See your neurologist if you’re still concerned about your speech.

Must be scary, but it isn't anything like ALS, so you might want to get in to see a speech pathologist to follow this up and let your doctors figure it out.

Thank you so much for replying.

I appreciate yours comments.

Hi again, apologies for asking another question.
Your comments settled my concerns so thought right let’s get back to normal play. Sadly things are no better in fact worse. I seem to have a lisp, my jaws are certainly not right and feel like they are too big for my mouth And are stiff sometimes. I do slur a couple of words a day but generally get by. Your thoughts ?? Huge thanks 🙏

You are repeating the same symptoms as you did in your first post. As mentioned by members here and your neuro,you do not have anything that is indicative of ALS. Please do not go looking for what is not there. You do not have ALS and that is a wonderful thing.

Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Ask your dentist if a night guard would help your jaw and find a better lip balm. Hydration and/or a mouth/throat spray can help your tongue. Also think about whether your sleep is all it should be and if not make it better.

Best,
Laurie

Cookie, as you wrote....

"And are stiff sometimes...."

Key word: Sometimes. There is no "Sometimes" with ALS.

"I do slur a couple of words a day but generally get by."

Same.

Finally, you wrote... "Your thoughts ?? "

Move on from possibly having ALS... and here.

Huge thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back