Not open for further replies.

Worri

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello. I am a dad of five boys 41yo and have concerning signs lately. Three weeks ago I suddenly feel twitching in my whole body and my feet were tingling twitching so bad and feel my right arm specifically the biceps stiff. (Still is today). I immediately panicked since I have lost my mom by als 12byears ago. I was taking care of her and I have since those days trauma and fear in the back of my mind of it...it never completely left me.

Knowing this facts and noticing the tingling fasciculations non stoping.for a day and half.I I totally panicked . my aorta was pumping /jerking visible on my belly/abs and while laying down I feelt like from my spine terrible electric shocks pulses... unbearable...and chronic crazy unberable back pain...(not injured or carried heavy stuff)also lost any desire for food..aversion... and not even music i cant hear to soothe things out.

went after 2 day to the Er saying I suspect the worse the doc checked my blood test Said nothing abnormal didnt even lift my shirt to see me and prescribed lorezapam to relax and referred back to my general practioner. General practioner did same thing ..blood checks and didn't even check me physically...but after insisting he referred me to an neurologist. At neurologist appointment (public govt health insurance) he didn't stand up or touched me or physically analyzed nothing I just started mention to him my tremor fasciculations he said go do the emg and bring me regular results and send me on.my way. 2 minutes consultation....

This just fueled my fear...made it way worse... meanwhile my dad lives overseas in Brazil saw my deterioration and bought me home to get checked by local docs. I met an neurologist whom checked me physically and said I don't believe you have als and you dont need emg as you are now..whoever he prescribed me zoloft...25mg now I am taking 50mg ..to treat extreme panic anxiety disorder....whoever I am afraid he didn't carefully checked me...he used his tools but things changed in the last 15 days...

I lost 8kg in 10 days ...I notice extreme fatigue ...my right arm lower biceps is still stiff and sore..[3weeks] when I hold the cellphone it shakes trembles.. fasciculations on hand after holding forva while. just tried the one leg exercises as someone posted and I wobble immediately..did air bycyle exercise on the floor forv1inutes and got extremely sore...my belly was shaking for minutes never had this happened...meaning it is way more difficult to-do same basic essential exercise...I have tingling on foot and fasciculations on right arm and legs feel them also when lying down... paing the abs still pulsing somewaht better but pulsing(zoloft effect after 12vday?,)but now I notice when I smile for more than 3 seconds my cheeks /lips on tleft are trembling /twitching..and also started like a weakness in the troath like its closing on me...shutting down/falling. Alsongetting terible back pain...never had it. .and i still can only fall sleep with lorezapan...

I am panicked to take the emg... for me I feel like playing Russian roulette and reminds my mom emg terrible results.. ...I notice atrophy lost muscle(weight). please help me. Advise... are these common issues? Should i listen to israeli doc or the Brazilian saying testing just gonna make u more panic...anyways the insurance here thevwait list is 3 moth for the test..... any advise on my symptoms? Go for the emg...sorry for my rambling...simply teribly worried about my family.... God bless u all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the long post. I wish i could have delete it and rewrite it short and concise. English is not my first language. I am really losing muscle strength quickly..my legs tights muscle are sore just by lifting them and i feel vibrations light shaking on my body... i move the arms or thights and popcorn twitches come over right away. Twitching on calf. Thank you again and sorry for the outburst...I have none to listen to me. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Sounds like you are convinced, yet are not showing the true signs of ALS.
I would listen to you doctors and get help for this extreme anxiety, then see what symptoms persist as anxiety could explain much of what is happening so relieving that will really help show what is what.
All the best, so sorry you lost your mum.

I'm sorry about your mom. I'm sure you were a great help to her.

Zoloft and lorazepam can both have effects as you described -- they act on the brain. And benzodiazepines like lorazepam are dangerous to use as a sleep aid long-term.

If you have long-term depression and anxiety an SSRI may be appropriate, but not everyone tolerates every one. Losing weight because you are anxious is not atrophy. I don't see any resemblance between your issues and ALS, but I would discuss your medications with the prescriber and seek counseling for the anxiety. When you are in a better place mentally, it will be easier to see what might be wrong physically.

Thank u very much for your replies. Thanks for hearing.

I am confused is how to tackle both fronts anxiety with the physical....what is causing what first...it's kind of entagled. What goes first? I am paying out opocket .......
As per lggelb [thank u] !my meds need also perhaps to be reevaluated since it may cause fatigues stifness muscles correct? (Btw I just can fall sleep taking lorezapam...and I feel after 26 days of it getting less sleep efficacy light sleep....I guess it also stay in body system during daytime... zoloft also cause same symptoms ? Neurologist in Brazil prescribed it...first week 25mg...now 50mg...i am on day 14.
One last side note my right upper arm is stiff sore and on Saturday went down my forearm to my hand I felt aching soreness to open hands for a good moment(like electric shocks) and got me really scared.. rested arm for hours still aching stiff but I can use them ..however when I use my right hand(holding phone..knife ...book) I see clearly visible my Hypothenar twitching jerking like crazy as I hold things...any thoughts?
Now can stop thinking twice before using my right arm which adds fuel to anxiety . it is the solely cause.. ..any thoughts? Anxiety can do all those things??
Getting terrible upper back pains as well.

Thank u again for your reply and help walking this road. .

Please take all this back to your doctor.
Anxiety can cause so many things. However, we are only working with you in text messages, you need to do this in person with a doctor.
All the very best in returning to full health.

(Affected) thank u for your reply.
Your are correct cant diagnose /advise via text...i was just venting....
I was able to schedule an appointment with a head dept neurologist here(telaviv) on August 1st to check me out...till then I am reading (i shouldnt) every single post and replies of this forum/ threads.........
I was reading trough many posts and I am really sorry for the lost of your husband.
Thank you for the best wishes. Will keep posted if a may. God bless.

..I Beg 4 your opinion...your knowledgeable and patience is a light
Tower trough the passing storm.
I am having terrible chronic upper back pain(since the start of symptoms about month ago.
I must seat with a pillow on the sofa and rest 4 every 20/30 minutes standing... [I know from reading pain is sensorial)however I feel heat...burning, something moving alive inside my upper back (shocks?)feel pulsating even trough the pillow...and got today sweaty on neck..is it common phenomenon of als and especially the back muscles? What the odds?distal?? Sweat means something ?
my back is not getting better with time..... I am starting to losing faith that it's all a extreme chronic panic anxiety disorder./depression as 1st neurologist told me in Brazil.
Since the backpain is getting worse I had to increase the use of lorezapam (not just b4 sleep)but during the day to get by until neurologist doc checks me or changes meds monday.
I wonder if I go for his physical clinical exam under influence of lorezapam by the daytime ..will it affect my performance ?
Thank you again for any input .Much appreciated 🙏

Not ALS symptoms. Work with your doctors. We can’t help you here. Closing thread. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back