Not open for further replies.

dbc123

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello. I’m a 52 year old female. About 2 months ago I developed an odd deep ticklish type sensation in my left leg, followed by intermittent muscle twitching in the calf and foot of that leg. I’m visited a neurologist about a month into it and they did the standard strength tests which were normal and said my reflexes were brisk but normal. The neurologist was a bit stumped and said maybe restless legs but not really. Then I went to an orthopedic doctor thinking maybe it was a pinched nerve but he said no symptoms were not consistent with a pinched nerve. Soon feel like no one really knows what this is. Sometimes I also feel the sensation in my arms but the twitching has stayed confined to my left lower leg. Is one normal neuro exam enough to rule out a neuromuscular disorder and does this sensation sound familiar to anyone?

Does the ticklish sensation diminish with movement? Is it more severe with rest or trying to fall asleep? If so, I would (1) try therapeutic massage and if that fails, (2) ask for a trial of a drug to treat RLS/PLMD.

But no, especially without clinical impairment, twitching and weird feelings do not point to ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the reply. Yes it does seem to diminish with movement, as does the twitching which I notice more when resting. Would something show up in a neuro exam even in the early stages? I just don’t know if I need to keep pursuing this worry. I don’t notice weakness and am self testing myself daily. Are sensations a part of motor neuron diseases? I never know if what I read about symptoms is accurate since I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage and my symptoms were nothing like what you read in the textbooks.

So I’m just wondering if my main symptom is a “sensation” if I should continue with neurology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back