Not open for further replies.

dbc123

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello. I’m a 52 year old female. About 2 months ago I developed an odd deep ticklish type sensation in my left leg, followed by intermittent muscle twitching in the calf and foot of that leg. I’m visited a neurologist about a month into it and they did the standard strength tests which were normal and said my reflexes were brisk but normal. The neurologist was a bit stumped and said maybe restless legs but not really. Then I went to an orthopedic doctor thinking maybe it was a pinched nerve but he said no symptoms were not consistent with a pinched nerve. Soon feel like no one really knows what this is. Sometimes I also feel the sensation in my arms but the twitching has stayed confined to my left lower leg. Is one normal neuro exam enough to rule out a neuromuscular disorder and does this sensation sound familiar to anyone?

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Does the ticklish sensation diminish with movement? Is it more severe with rest or trying to fall asleep? If so, I would (1) try therapeutic massage and if that fails, (2) ask for a trial of a drug to treat RLS/PLMD.

But no, especially without clinical impairment, twitching and weird feelings do not point to ALS.

Best,
Laurie

dbc123

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Thank you for the reply. Yes it does seem to diminish with movement, as does the twitching which I notice more when resting. Would something show up in a neuro exam even in the early stages? I just don’t know if I need to keep pursuing this worry. I don’t notice weakness and am self testing myself daily. Are sensations a part of motor neuron diseases? I never know if what I read about symptoms is accurate since I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage and my symptoms were nothing like what you read in the textbooks.

So I’m just wondering if my main symptom is a “sensation” if I should continue with neurology.

Status
Not open for further replies.