Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NK
City
Brooklyn
I have a quick question and hope someone will reply.

My right elbow for the last 3 weeks has had constant twitches and I'm starting to get really concerned. The muscles twitches happen are also up the back for my arm. Would like to know if you think this could be ALS. I have read that muscle twitches mean nothing although my mum passed from ALS and is always in the back of my mind. Mum is the first person in our family to be diagnosed with ALS. I have been to the doctor and he said he can't seen any muscle weakness although he can see and feel the twitches. He said he couldn't guarantee that it wasn't ALS and said I should have a nerve conduction study to rule it out.

I appreciate you advice as you must research and see a lot of posts similar to mine.

Thank you everyone for reading post and I send all of my love.
Regards
Anita

Hello there- here are your previous two threads:

I am hoping you will be seeing a neurologist- or is this who recommended the test?

I saw my doctor who recommended that I see a neurologist to elevate my panic. Do you see anything that I should be concerned about with regards to ALS? I'm starting to get really concerned about your post mentioning that I should see a neurologist.

No, not my intention- only that a neurologist would be more knowledgeable about twitching than a regular doctor and would be less likely to order tests that were not necessary.

Does anything I have outlined sound alarming to you? The neurologist is going to take 3 months to get into, unless there is a cancellation somewhere along the line. I will be a mess by then. ALS doesn't run in our family although I am quite concerned, I have a 10 year son and being a single mother.

Still not the least bit alarming I'm so happy to tell you - please follow the health advice and see a neurologist if you are still worried.

I saw my neurologist 4 weeks ago said I didn't have ALS, he did strength tests and reflex tests, no nerve testing, although I didn't have these muscle twitches either I only had muscle pain although this time no pain at all. After our conversation today he will conduct a nerve test, hopefully I get in sooner than 3 months. Again I don't seem to have any muscle weakness I don't think, does ALS start with twitches first? I think I have read it does.

Hi Zuki

It really seems like you are experiencing another wave of extreme anxiety about ALS. It's clear that your family health history has caused very strong fear and it is something you must address. The folk here are very sympathetic- losing a parent to ALS is very hard. You were sent anxiety resources the last time you came seeking reassurance and it sounds like you either have not accessed those resources, or you might need to try something different. It might now be time to work with someone directly to process how losing your mum to ALS has affected you and to deal with how much your fear of ALS is affecting your life.

Please only post after you have been to see the neuro again, as there really does not seem to be anything the folk here can tell you to provide the reassurance you require. This must be very hard for you, but this forum is not where you will find the kind of help you need- please talk to your doctor about some anxiety support while you wait for your appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back