Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Hi, everyone. First, I'd like to start by preemptively thanking everyone for reading this. I wish the best of luck to everyone with their individual battles.

I'm a 42-yo caucasian male and up until February 2019 I was an avid cyclist in great shape, riding 100+ miles / week. I have a family history of heart disease, but to my knowledge, no other conditions. I consume 1-2 cups coffee a day and have 1-2 alcoholic beverages per week.
My problems unfolded as follows:

In mid-February I started to experience back pain after a day of moderate yard work. My back pain was concentrated in my upper right buttocks. I didn't think much of it for a few weeks, but as it persisted, I went to see a physiatrist which whom I worked with on some back pain a few years prior. He suggested PT, which I undertook. Given the location of the pain, I suspected piriformis syndrome, and went about working it aggressively. One day I used a lacrosse ball on it and I think I aggravated my sciatic nerve, giving me pain down the back of my right leg. In late March, I had an MRI of the lumbar spine which showed that a "small disc bulge flattens the ventral thecal sac at L4-5" and that "facet arthropathy is evident." The Impression was "degenerative disease and spondylosis L4-L5 resulting in mild spinal canal foranimal stenosis". My physiatrist said this was all not alarming.

In early April, I had a cortisone shot in my right piriformis muscle from a sports doc. This did nothing to alleviate my pain. Around this time, I developed some numbness in my left foot. I was advised to monitor this foot numbness. I endured with this until early May, when my phsyiatrist suggested trying a diagnostic medial branch block in my lumbar spine to address the "arthritis." This also did nothing to relieve my pain. Following the medial branch block, as I pointed to the location of pain in my upper right buttocks, the phsyiatrist suggested an SI joint injection. Around mid-May, just prior to the SI joint injection, I suddenly experienced some numbness in my left shoulder and significant pain and stiffness in my forearms on both arms and in my thumbs. Physiatrist noted this was strange and proceeded with the SI joint injection, which actually relieved 80% of the pain in my buttocks.

Late May - As I was now having arm symptoms, I went to see a spinal neurosurgeon, who had me have a cervical spine MRI and an upper and lower extremity EMG. The cervical spine MRI was generally fine but showed "mild degenerative changes w minimal broad-based central protruding disc at C5-C6 and central and bi foranimal protruding disc at C6-7 without signifcant canal or foranimal impingement." The EMG, conducted by a neurologist, came back generally fine as well other than "superficial peroneal sensory response showed diminished amplitude bilaterally. Finding is of doubtful clinical significance." I also had a brain MRI, which came back clean. The doctors said they could find no cause of my symptoms and attributed it to my hyperawareness of my body.

In mid June, I finally got around to seeing my GP, who did bloodwork, including Lyme. She indicated all was normal. Then, literally the day after seeing her, I experienced an odd sensation and some numbness in my LEFT quadricep. I had the feeling that my knee would buckle while walking, but it never did. I messaged with the neurologist who said it was likely an unrelated strain injury (even though I was hardly riding at this point). I did go see a podiatrist for the left foot numbness, and he diagnosed a neuroma and gave me a cortisone shot. That seemed to allieviate that symptom. I managed with the rest of my symptoms for a few weeks, and then in early July, went for a bike ride. Following the bike ride I began to experience fasciculations in both of my calves. This was the first time I've ever experienced this. In the next weeks, I continued with all of my symptoms - intermittent but steady pain / sensations in my arms, numb left quad and twitching calves. My calves would also cramp - not to the point of extreme pain, but discomfort.

In late July, my quad numbness was improving somewhat, but I went to see a neuromuscular neurologist at one of NYC's top hospitals as I was worried about the calf fasciculations. At this point my arm symptoms were also improving. He did a clinical exam and said he didn't know what was causing my twitching, but it wasn't ALS. He also conducted a second EMG where he stuck my in my left calf, left quad and right arm. He said everything was fine. I should note that by this point, with my various undiagnosed symptoms, I was suffering from quite a bit of anxiety and doing a fair bit of internet research.

I got through late July / early August and ramped up my cycling. My quad seemed to be getting better. However, after going on a short run in early August, my quad numbness returned and was quite bad. I once again got progressively more concerned and scheduled an appointment with a peripheral neuropathy neurologist at another top NYC hospital. She conducted a clinical exam and concluded that there was no major neurological process. She did order an EMG to reassure me that ALS was not a concern. Upon conclusion of that EMG, should called and said no ALS, but evidence of lower back arthritis. The results of that EMG are attached. In the time since then, I felt reassured for a time, but my quad has not improved. Just the other day, I noticed that when standing I cannot seem to tense it up as I do the right quad. I note that when they did the EMG, the needle was in the center of the quad, and my pain / numbness seems to be on the interior portion. I also just received the write-up of the EMG and I note that it refers to "Left gastrocnemius shows fasciculations, long duration MUAPs and reduced recruitment on submaximal effort." The conclusion was" Abnormal study. There is electrophysiological evidence of a chronic lumbosacral radiculopathy possible affecting from L4-S1 with no active denervation. There is no eletrophysiological evidence of lower motor neuron disease, conduction block, demyelination, large fiber neuropathy, right cervical radiculopathy or mononeuropathy of the right arm or left leg."

I have read all of the great advice on this form about EMGs and BFS. I still remain anxious. My question is, given this history and the latest EMG findings, is there in your opinion any chance of ALS? Should I be concerned the EMG showed the fascicultions? Could they have stuck the needle in the wrong part of my quad?

I finally wanted to note that I've been seeing a psychiatrist (for the first time in my life) about anxiety and potential somatic disorder. He doesn't think I display elements of this. Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpeg
    IMG_4407.jpeg
    897.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    794.3 KB · Views: 244
First please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

You have numbness and discomfort which points away from ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Your EMG looks really good and does not suggest ALS. EMG changes with ALS tend to be widespread, so they would not have stuck the needle in the wrong place.

I don’t see any reason for you to be concerned about ALS.

First please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

You have numbness and discomfort which points away from ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Your EMG looks really good and does not suggest ALS. EMG changes with ALS tend to be widespread, so they would not have stuck the needle in the wrong place.

I don’t see any reason for you to be concerned about ALS.

Thank you Karen. I appreciate the prompt response and reassurance.

Here is a layman’s description even though I am somewhat studied
on this… in my simple words.

*Those who dwell on the past are depressed.
(“Can’t do anymore” –“Used to be able to do…” – “I’ve lost the use of…”
and overly focus on the past of their lives.)

You have written rather extensively about yourself.

*Those who are overly focused on now and what the future what may deny
them suffer from Anxiety. Fear of having ALS.

There is career anxiety, money anxiety. relationship anxiety and now
social media anxiety.

*But… the worst anxiety is Health Anxiety. It can be physically debilitating
which can amplify all of the above.

Health Anxiety is curable. ALS is not. Don’t deny it. Accept it, recognize
denial… ask for help.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can expand on this or
correct it.

I mentioned the odd feeling in the left quad. It’s continued and gotten worse. Also, I can’t seem to relax the left quad line I can the right. I went to see a non-neurologist who specializes a piriformis syndrome (which I think I suffered from on the right side) and back pain. He did an EMG and decided to stick the needle in my left quad. He said he saw “denervation” there which he said likely to my mild L4-L5 and L5-S1 bulges. This was a new finding as just a month prior Columbia neurology had some the EMG that I posted. Could it be that Columbia and the other major NY hospitals missed something in EMG in the prior EMGs? This has me worried about the inability to relax the left quad and the bilateral calf twitching (ongoing for 3 months) potentially being ALS. Sorry to be obsessing if that’s what I’m doing.

Please re-read Karen and Al's reply to you. Those answers remain relevant to today's question. Yes, you are obsessing,but please do not obsess here. It's unfair to the members and since you have been cleared of not having ALS, due to the fact that you have zero ALS symptoms, a clean EMG, and zero clinical signs of the disease, continued posting on this forum is unnecessary. And no, such big, reputable medical centres would not miss something regarding ALS.

Please move on and let this obsession go. It is only ruining your life. Good luck and take good care.

Please re-read Karen and Al's reply to you. Those answers remain relevant to today's question. Yes, you are obsessing,but please do not obsess here. It's unfair to the members and since you have been cleared of not having ALS, due to the fact that you have zero ALS symptoms, a clean EMG, and zero clinical signs of the disease, continued posting on this forum is unnecessary. And no, such big, reputable medical centres would not miss something regarding ALS.

Please move on and let this obsession go. It is only ruining your life. Good luck and take good care.
Thank you and I apologize for my obsessive behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back