Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MD
City
Knoxville
I am 52 and recently have a twitch in my right bicep (started maybe two weeks ago) maybe four times per day. My left shin inside calf area became numb on the surface about five days ago. My legs feel weak but my feet operate fine as do my legs. Any thoughts, I am concerned I may have ALS? My doctor (GP) ran blood work everything is good. Lymes was negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. First I hope you read this Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

As you can see twitches are very common and without other findings not worrisome.

numbness is not an ALS symptom in fact it points away from ALS.

as far as feeling weak but no loss of function ALS symptoms are actually the reverse I feel fine even in areas where the muscles are paralyzed and have felt fine right along

lastly you say “legs” plural. Als starts in one area of spread. Granted I am unusually slow progressing. It took more than 2 years for my symptoms to spread from the first limb. My more classically progressing sister still had months before spread and in both of us the first limb had significant function loss before spread.

I am glad you are working with your doctor. Continue to work with them but yiu have not described ALS

good luck

Nikki, Thank you for your reply. It is helpful to hear your encouraging thoughts. I see a neurologist tomorrow and I will update this thread. I wish I could express better how much I appreciate your time and thoughts and how helpful they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back