Forum Supporter
Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone on this forum who have been super helpful!

I have concerns about my ongoing symptoms that's making me very anxious and I'm also not able to do anything else in my daily life. I'm just sitting at home being worried.

My symptoms: 3 months ago, I started noticing twitching in my body (happens at multiple places at random times). I assumed it's just my anxiety/normal and had let it go. That still persists and I still get some induced twitching in my little finger when I bend the finger and hold it a certain way.
But since a month, I've been having very strange symptoms. I have extreme weakness in my arms where they burn/get fatigued when I lift my hand to do something.
More than that, I have a tightness/stiffness and weird sensation in the throat/neck (consistent throughout) and I get tired muscles in mouth after eating and talking.
I've also noticed that I make a few mistakes while speaking such as mispronouncing words, my partner says he doesn't see anything slurry, but my mistakes are increasing off late. If I repeat the same word/sentance, I notice that I don't make the same mistake again. I don't have any swallowing problems so far.

I'm very anxious about getting ALS at the age of 27 and this is consuming me. Could someone please help in telling me if Bulbar ALS presents itself like this?

Thanks,
Ragu

No. See a doctor to be reassured on this. I would ask about possibilities like GERD, allergies, dry mouth, sleep apnea. You can also see a dentist to consider a night guard.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply Laurie! I had visited my Primary Care doctor a few days ago and she said I have a few dry mucous membranes in my mouth.
For the tightness/stiffness in my throat and slight tingling at the tip of tongue, does it point anywhere towards ALS?

I am trying to get an appointment with a neurologist, but they are booked out for the next 2-3 months.

No, it does not.

I would take what your PCP says to heart; there are many sprays and ointments that can help dry mouth/throat, as well as better hydration. There seems no need to see a neurologist from my perspective, before addressing the simplest explanation.

Try cough drops and/or throat lozenges. Having dry mouth is not ALS.

Thank you so much for replying Laurie and @Bestfriends14! Before I leave, I just had one last question about my worrisome symptom.

-- I've also noticed that I make a few mistakes while speaking such as mispronouncing words, my partner says he doesn't see anything slurry, but my mistakes are increasing off late. If I repeat the same word/sentance, I notice that I don't make the same mistake again. I don't have any swallowing problems so far.

In ALS, Do these kind of mistakes happen even when you try to repeat the same word/sentence again?

If your partner isn't hearing anything out of the ordinary, these questions are moot. Bear in mind lack of sleep and anxiety are common reasons for thinking like the words are not just tripping off your tongue.

No, I can assure you that what you describe is nothing like the speech issues we see in ALS.

No. Now please move on; for the sake of your own happiness and well-being

Ragu, don't mean to pile on here but... I see you are still on site.

"I am trying to get an appointment with a neurologist, but they are booked out for the next 2-3 months."

If your Primary Care Doctor saw anything MND concerning.... she would be the one to make a referral to a
Neuro. The reason they are telling you that they are booked out for the next 2 to 3 months is mostly likely...
no referral and no indication of urgency.

They do keep slots open for requested referrals of urgency.

Also, you being just 27 years old gives 6 or 7 digits to one that you do not have ALS. I'd bet... you've
read threads where that has been written many times.

You really need to stop chasing ALS... it just ain't there.

This is super helpful and reassuring, thank you so much everyone for taking the time out and responding!

Hi,
I'm sorry that I'm back here, but my symptoms have progressed. I have increased phlegm behind my nose (my nose is not blocked, it's mostly in between the nose and the throat) and also my voice has become nasal. Especially certain sounds like words with 'S' sound feel nasal and shrill. (I have no trouble swallowing and I do not have noticeable slurring yet)

I went to the ENT and said he did not see any infections or other ENT problems causing this. Previously I also had tightness in the throat while eating etc, but that has reduced now.

My current symptoms mainly include the above, is this indicating the Bulbar onset of ALS?

Hi Ragu-

Unfortunately you're asking people for something they can't provide you here. While you seek to relieve your worry about ALS, there really isn't much more this forum can give you. We've provided you information and reassurance to the best of our ability, but only a doctor can help with actual diagnosis. If your ENT did not see anything when they gave you an examination, including something that could be neurological in nature, or it seems any problem with function at all, we would not contradict that. You will have to speak with your doctor about next steps, but ALS should not be your focus.

Take care

Hello,

I have been in a very bad space since the past 3 days. I have symptoms like - started with tingling/pricking sensation on the tongue and then that led to tongue soreness and at work I couldn't speak properly (I felt like my sentences are not clear and I have a lisp while talking and there isn't the usual clarity I have while forming words). I took off from work since this has consumed me and I not able to do anything else.

Is this something that I need to be concerned regarding Bulbar symptoms?

Hi ragu-

This is not the place. I am sorry you are struggling so badly, but you are simply returning to a place where the people can not help you. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns and follow their guidance. If you are struggling with anxiety that is preventing you from functioning, please seek appropriate support as it is outside of the focus of this forum.

I am closing this thread. Please do not open another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back