Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I first noticed my symptoms on August 1st of this year, which began with a strong feeling of tingling in my right hand/arm and foot/leg. I was also experienced some neck pain and occasional twitching on both sides of my body at that time. I saw my PCP who referred me to neuro and ordered an MRI of my neck and back, which came back normal. Blood tests showed no abnormalities or deficiencies, and I do take a multivitamin along with a magnesium supplement every day and have for quite some time.

The neurologist did not find any abnormalities in her short examination of me and said that my symptoms were likely due to an issue in my neck, although my MRI was normal and, as she acknowledged, that doesn't necessarily explain the symptoms being present in my leg. The symptoms went away after about two weeks, but in the last week or two they have returned and are presenting mostly as a feeling of weakness/tiredness in my right side, mostly in my right hand although I feel the tiredness/soreness all the way up my arm and behind my shoulder.

I have dropped small items I am attempting to pick up a couple of times, and just generally feel tired on that side. I have also been experiencing cramping and tingling in my feet and hands, most pronounced in my left foot where my three middle toes have been cramping along with the muscle along the bottom of my foot.

I called my neurologist to follow up and report on the new symptoms, and her nurse got back to me and said that the doctor thought it was a flare-up of the previous symptoms and prescribed prednisone. Does anyone have any feedback? Of course ALS is a concern of mine, especially since MS has been effectively ruled out. I am grateful for this forum and would appreciate any advice anyone can offer! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax. The fact that you have mainly sensory symptoms( tingling, feels tired) would point away from ALS. ALS is a disease that affects only the motor neurons leaving the sensory nerves intact. Symptoms also do not come and go, once you lose something, it's gone forever. As far as dropping things goes, when you can no longer pick something up start worrying, we are all clumsy at times. Have a look at the post at the top that says Read Before Posting, it should make you feel a lot better.
Vincent

Stress, sleep, nutrition, hydration and exercise are all worth looking at here, including your mattress and pillow. You might also record yourself sleeping to see if your breathing seems stable, and there are various apps as well, since fatigue/lack of deep sleep can track with the problems you have.

Like Vincent, I don't see any reason to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back