Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
Hello everyone, I am very worried right now. A couple months ago I randomly had like a twitch/tremor in my right thumb and my index finger. I kind of brushed it off until month later it happened again. About 3 weeks ago I started having weird twitches (lip, eye, fingers continued, and now they range from my right upper arm, my thighs and mainly they stay in my calf on my right side. I usually cannot feel them until I sit down to relax or and not moving around and especially at night. I feel that my right hand it weaker than my left hand. I had an MRI done and it was normal. I cannot get into the neuro until December! I am 29 years old and very scared. The twitches will not stop. And I feel that my right side is a lot weaker than my left. Yesterday when I was grabbing the mouse my thumb twitched and I feel that it is getting worse.

I would appreciate any advice or reply! I thank you for your time !! God bless all of you

Last edited:
Yes they did an MRI and everything came back ok. Waiting for my neuro appt but it’s not till December. Just wanting to know if this leans anywhere near ALS. Also blood work came back normal.

You are probably lying on your R side when sleeping. Try taking a video. That can mean that you need a new pillow or mattress. Even talking on your phone or texting in a bad position can contribute. If you mouse righthanded, that can create repetitive stress injury over time, and you can find lots of exercises on YT to address it, as well as taking hourly breaks. If it gets worse, you can ask about a referral to hand therapy. There is nothing in what you have said that should cause worries as to ALS or anything like it.

Twitching that you feel at rest is often just the greater awareness of our body that we have when things are more still and quiet. Focus on the activities that you are doing at the time, even if it's just a movie or talking, and see how far that takes you.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the reply. Just worries me because I have never had twitches like this ever before and they are very bad in my leg. It will sometimes go to my left leg as well. I have seen the twitches and they are very noticeable. I feel like my right leg is also getting worse and harder for me to pick up while walking.

Twitching means NOTHING, so that is the good news and what you need to focus on.
Feeling things means you are very likely now hyper-focusing, but doesn't happen with ALS.
Please, Nikki gave you a post to read that we spent a lot of time creating. Read it again slowly, then see your doctor for help.

Thank you for that information. I appreciate it, I guess this is just a suspicion of having an early onset that I am worried about.

Yes we get many people here certain they have this suspicion, no matter how many times we tell them it does not start that way.

I do have one more question , I am sorry ! I have read the post but just want to clarify, you say that in a hand/arm you will not feel any weakness before it just stops working? Like noticing that brushing your teeth your doing your hair with that arm or texting feels more weak on that side than the other and you feel like you have to make more effort on that side doesn’t happen before it just gives out? Just want to clarify!

I still don’t feel weak and that includes muscles that are paralyzed. It honestly seems like what it really is. A loss of signal from the brain. example I tell my foot to point and it just doesn’t. There is no sensation of trying- I feel like I am not trying and if I just did try it would work.
in ALS of course a whole area doesn’t go simultaneously but there is something that doesn’t work like doing up a button. Maybe a few weeks later you can’t squeeze the toothpaste and then can’t grasp your coffee cup handle and so on

Okay, so you just can’t do it? It doesn’t progress by weakness? Like a month or so ago my fingers started twitching after I would grab something a couple times, then now my hand feels weaker when I grab the mouse or text and it feels overused all the way up to my shoulder. It feels harder to even keep my arm up to text this. And the twitches continue even in my arm and calf and sometimes in my neck. Just wanted to double check on all this, sorry for too many questions!

For the third and last time, no, one does not feel weak, they simply cannot make a move or grab something. You're not double checking, you're asking the same question over and over. It's been asked and answered. It's time to move on now.

I do sincerely wish you the best. Take good care and good luck to you.

I understand and I am very sorry for questioning a lot. It is very scary so it is very easy to get anxiety over this. Especially when everything on Google states my symptoms!

Google does not replace actual, in-person medical consultation with a doctor, nor does getting advice from this forum. I know it feels like a long wait, but December will be here before you know it. In any case, nothing you've posted sounds like ALS and that's great news. Please update after you've seen the neuro in December.

Until then, take care.

We've done all we can, please go work with your doctor. We understand that many people refuse to believe us, that's ok. But don't expect us to continually engage on it over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back