Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
City
Columbus
I am a 32 year old female. I am very scared that I may have ALS. I began having numbness in my pinky and half of my ring finger as well as part of my hand while nursing my newborn in the hospital. It would come and go, but after several nursing sessions the numbness stayed. I have had 100% constant numbness in those two fingers and portion of my hand for 3.5 months now. It has affected the motor skills of my right hand significantly. I also have recently noticed some muscle atrophy in that hand as well. I had an EMG done and obviously it came back abnormal. The person doing the EMG said he “didn’t think” I had ALS, as I asked and told him my concerns, but he totally brushed them off. I have seen a hand surgeon (the person who ordered the EMG) and he has diagnosed me with ulnar nerve entrapment and wants to do surgery. Recently though, I have begun to have muscle twitching all over. I know this can be caused by anxiety..and I have horrible anxiety/ health anxiety as it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Everything you have said is consistent with the diagnosis you've had, but a second opinion on a surgery recommendation never hurts.

As to the relationship between twitching and anxiety, I think you answered your own question.

There is no reason to suspect ALS here.

If you’d like, we can take a look at that EMG. Findings in ALS are pretty characteristic. Just take a picture of the EMG part and the summary and conclusions, blocking out any identifying information.

If you’d like, we can take a look at that EMG. Findings in ALS are pretty characteristic. Just take a picture of the EMG part and the summary and conclusions, blocking out any identifying information.

Attachments

• 471C3192-B6AF-4250-AF62-593B2705CB04.jpeg
    471C3192-B6AF-4250-AF62-593B2705CB04.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • 4A3ED836-B973-4168-8042-AFF0B817CD4C.jpeg
    4A3ED836-B973-4168-8042-AFF0B817CD4C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
Your EMG shows the effects of damage in one area as a result of ulnar nerve damage. It does not show the type of pattern we would see with ALS. In ALS, typically the abnormalities would be more widespread and there would be increased insertional activity, positive sharp waves and fibrillations in many muscle groups. I agree with your doctor on this one.

Your EMG shows the effects of damage in one area as a result of ulnar nerve damage. It does not show the type of pattern we would see with ALS. In ALS, typically the abnormalities would be more widespread and there would be increased insertional activity, positive sharp waves and fibrillations in many muscle groups. I agree with your doctor on this one.
Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I am going to proceed with ulnar nerve surgery (after meeting with surgeon again this morning) and him reiterating to me the importance of fixing this issue.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading through various posts. Just some questions for those who have more knowledge of this than I do...does ALS cause constant numbness? I have read about “failure not feeling” and because of my apparent ulnar nerve damage/ compression I am unable to do certain movements with my fingers. But I am curious about the numbness. Also...does ALS “come on” from having a limb in a certain position? (I.e.: holding my arm in an odd position to nurse). I’m really concerned.

No, not at all. ALS does not cause numbness or from holding your arm in an odd way; not one bit. If you had been reading posts of those with ALS, not from folks on this sub-forum, you would see that something just stops working-I.e. can't button, can't do up a zip lock bag, cannot do a heel to toe step or go back on your heels. ALS is about failing, not feeling. Great news for you. Go live the life you are so truly blessed to have.

Just a tip- for those who are already anxious about their health, reading posts when you have zero ALS symptoms, is not good for one's state of mind. It exacerbates health anxiety and non-ALS symptoms.

Best of luck to you and take good care.

No, not at all. ALS does not cause numbness or from holding your arm in an odd way; not one bit. If you had been reading posts of those with ALS, not from folks on this sub-forum, you would see that something just stops working-I.e. can't button, can't do up a zip lock bag, cannot do a heel to toe step or go back on your heels. ALS is about failing, not feeling. Great news for you. Go live the life you are so truly blessed to have.

Just a tip- for those who are already anxious about their health, reading posts when you have zero ALS symptoms, is not good for one's state of mind. It exacerbates health anxiety and non-ALS symptoms.

Best of luck to you and take good care.
I’m sorry..I guess I wasn’t clear in that post. I have had some concerning symptoms (muscle atrophy, weakness, and an abnormal emg that is posted above). I do have trouble doing some of the tasks you mentioned. I guess my concern is if it’s as a result of ulnar nerve damage as shown by the emg or something else such as ALS.

The emg question was already answered the abnormalities support your ulnar diagnosis and do not support your ALS fears

As Bestfriends said numbness is not an ALS symptom. Even without having had the emg we would tell you all your symptoms do not add up to ALS. Muscle failure is not specific to ALS and it is completely consistent with ulnar damage to have tharpt and also atrophy with your condition.

I feel you have been answered. Closing the thread. Kindly do not start another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back