00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
Hi Everyone
Thank you for taking the time out to read my message.
I have recentley been through quite a traumatic period in my life, I am abit of a hypochondriac however I am on medication to help with that. I recently had a miscarriage {they first thought it was an ectopic} , went through an ugly break up, had 2 cancer scares (no cancer, tests neg) , on the verge of loosing my job because I've been in and out of hospital , I only found my appetite now after almost a month of barely eating

I have always suffered from muscle twitching from anxiety, so the twitches never really bothered me up until 3 weeks ago.
I was in hospital and noticed my thumb and index finger shaking rapidly, it then stopped I didn't pay much attention. I saw my gp who did a quick strength test and dismissed me saying theres no weakness I'm almost as strong as him.. Since then I have had an odd feeling of weakness in my left arm and my left and right hand feel like I am developing arthritis (scares me because on an als website a few people who have been diagnosed explained how they experienced this as an initial symptom) . My right foot has been twitching underneath non stop and my ankle feels weak. When I sleep I get body jerks because when I try and lay flat my chest feels heavy and I must sit up to catch my breathe.

I do plan on going back to my gp and having him look further into this, I just need to waiting for funding as I am maxed out from everything prior.

My question is does this sound like it could be the start of early als? I am a single mum and worry so much for my children.

Ps I have read the stickys and feel so silly even posting however I know each of you have had different experiences and I would truly appreciate some input

Funding to see the gp? You say you are in the UK. You have the NHS!

no it doesn’t sound like ALS. You had a normal strength exam. Your symptoms are all over and are I feel. ALS is fsilure and starts in one place and spreads insidiously.
you said you are on medicine for health anxiety. Ask your gp to send you for counseling to address your anxiety and your grief from your miscarriage. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the treatment of choice for health anxiety. Stop googling and reading als sites. They are contributing to your fears

good luck

Also ask your GP about a sleep study. But 100% agree that ALS is not on the table.

Best,
Laurie

I'm sorry to worry everyone but isn't this atrophy 💔

Attachments

• IMG-20191209-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20191209-WA0010.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Pictures are very difficult to comment on but no I don’t see atrophy. You need to see a doctor and ask your questions there

Even if it were atrophy, which I don't see either, our thoughts wouldn't run to ALS with the rest of what you've described. Do check in about a sleep study, and perhaps help with your anxiety. Your little ones surely deserve your undivided attention, which is impossible when you are full of worry.

Best,
Laurie

I don't comment much on this sub-forum but I know about hand atrophy.

First, if you re-read your first paragraph that may very well explain your
anxiety causing the "twitching" you are experiencing. Also your second
paragraph.

You have yet to have an NCS series, you have yet to be seen by a
Neurologist. So, you are way ahead of having concerns of ALS.
I'd bet you have done a lot of Googling.

Here's to that.... and others

Two in five Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have
a serious disease, after turning to 'Dr Google' – according to new research.

Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-
diagnosed online say searching for their symptoms made them worry
MORE about their health.

That may be due to the answers given by Dr Google, as the internet's
medical advice was found by respondents to be reliable less than
40 percent of the time.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose
themselves the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar
might do more harm than good.

Work with your PCP as you can afford but do yourself a favor for now
and let go of concerns of having ALS.

I agree with Laurie... I don't see hand atrophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back