Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
NY
For the past six months, I've had occasional twitches in both arms and legs. Recently, I've also had some twitching in my upper lip. I'm a teacher, and I've found that my voice gets a bit tired from talking by the end of the day, though I haven't had anything that I'd characterize as weakness. I lift weights and run on most days and haven't noticed any decrease in my ability to exercise. My other concern is that in the past few weeks, I noticed a clicking sound when I swallow food, though no pain.

I went to my PCP for my annual physical and raised my concerns about twitching/talking/clicking, and he said it's not consistent with ALS. He said the clicking is likely from my bad congestion. But I wonder if I need to see a neurologist about this.

I would see an ENT, who can evaluate your throat/voice and the clicking. Twitching in the upper lip can reflect fatigue, stress, dry lips, dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, etc. a lot more than anything else.

I don't know what you are using for congestion, but this time of year especially, many people need a nasal steroid and/or non-sedating antihistamine. And making sure furnace filters are clean is always a good idea.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back