Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
I suffered from mild fasciculations and tremors about 7 years ago and saw a neurologist who gave me the all clear on a physical examination (without EMG or MRI) but suggested I had Fybromyalgia. My GP is not 100% certain this is an actual disease, or just a label given to unexplained random symptoms.
I have suffered from tingling legs arms feet etc from then on but have learned to live with them and ignore them.

However in the last 2 months I have got a lot of very exaggerated fasciculations. My left calf is on the go CONSTANTLY and wakes me at night. I have the odd smaller fasciculation in othere areas i.e arm face and tongue. My left calf feels it has a mind of its own and never stops jumping and twitching. Some of them are huge twitches. I also have had some weird internal vibration symptoms. The internal vibrations are mainly in my abdomen bicepts and tighs.

My GP says I have normal strength in my legs and my reflexs are normal but is sending me back to a neurologist to rule out anything else.
Unfortunately I can not get an appointment with a neurologist until September, which is a long time to wait when you are worried.

My questions are
- Can the ALS fasciculations start before the muscle weakness? Or is it always the case that weakness comes first followed by fasciculations
- Do exaggerated fasciculations as opposed to smaller ones mean anything?
- Are internal tremors a sign of ALS?

I appreciate the time you have taken to read this and look forward to any feedback

nah, nothing in there even remotely suggests ALS.

Try reading this really carefully, it's our official position and took a lot of work to put together to help you.

All the very best, you would not be writing here 7 years after starting symptoms I can assure you.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it
However, I had read the "Read before posting" article before I posted my thread and my questions were not answered in the article
My questions were
- Can the ALS fasciculations start before the muscle weakness? Or is it always the case that weakness comes first followed by fasciculations
- Do exaggerated fasciculations as opposed to smaller ones mean anything?
- Are internal tremors a sign of ALS?

I hope its ok if I still put those unanswered questions out there, and if someone has the time they might reply
I would appreciate it
Thanks in advance

Twitching without weakness means nothing. Generally weakness is the very first symptom. occasionally twitches happen simultaneously with weakness. 8 years of twitching as a prelude? Absolutely not.
2 no
3no

Thanks for answering my questions Nikki. I appreciate it.

Can I just say, as a new member, I have been looking at other threads under the heading “Could this be ALS”. Most people posting new messages under this topic are anxious, worried and asking for help. I understood this was the whole reason for having a forum for “Could this be ALS”, otherwise why would this even be a topic for discussion.

On the whole, the replies are informative and helpful , but some of the replies can be dismissive and downright cruel.

People are sometimes being berated for their anxiety, their questions, and even their punctuation !!

Without knowing the figures, I would hazard a guess that an anxious depressed mind is responsible for more deaths a year than ALS

I would kindly ask the responders to these people, to keep this in mind when replying. In fact I would go as far as to say, if you don’t have anything kind to say…then SAY NOTHING and leave the replying to those with a more understanding disposition.

Thanks again Nikki for your help

The actual reason for this subforum was that anxious people were posting extensively on the regular part of the forum distressing the regular members. This was supposed to quarantine ( for lack of a better term) them so they could be ignored.

this is not a place for the anxious to linger and get support for their anxiety. We have not the strength time or desire for that
this is a place to get basic questions answered and ( for the rare person who might actually be facing a diagnosis )support through the process Once questions are answered especially when ALS has been ruled out by a doctor and or diagnostic testing people are supposed to leave.
I agree that civility is important but it goes both ways. Asking questions that have been addressed, arguing and not bothering to read the pinned post or follow the rules are very rude actions too.

Anna, I agree with Nikki J above but.... sometimes people suffering from health anxiety
(And., over the years we have read hundreds of posts)... we know health anxiety.
Often Threads ramble on to two pages, three pages and some have gone for four.
Extremely ALS knowledgeable members have told them they do not have ALS but
they persist.

Finally... it comes to a point where being just plain blunt applies. Several
Threads have been closed to further comment. Some, like you, may find this
being crude, cruel or rude. Anything comes to a point.

For health anxiety suffers.... this is a chat room/forum that may better serve them.

HealthfulChat Anxiety Chat Room

HealthfulChat is glad to be offering you this friendly, supportive portion of the web
site where you can befriend others living with the sometimes crippling world of anxiety.
From social anxiety to generalized anxiety disorder and all in between, HealthfulChat
is here to present, for your use, an Anxiety Chat Room, anxiety forums, and an anxiety
social network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I will sign off now...
Consider me quarantined and ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back