Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
us
State
california
City
san francisco
Since January I have had body wide twitching which gets worse at night. I don't have it all the time, it comes and goes. My left side of my body seems to shake. When I curl my toes sometimes my left will shake but the right toes don't. Same with my left hand, if I squeeze something it will shake. I noticed this in December after dancing all night in really high high heels which hurt my feet really bad. It is my non dominate side. I don't feel like it is weaker though.

My tongue is constantly twitching but I can not feel it and I think I remember always having a twitching tongue. No atrophy. Went to the neurologist last week and said he did not think I had ALS because of my age (34) but said he could not rule it out. I performed all the test and was able to pass them. He did say I had clonus and hyperactive reflex on both sides but no loss of strength, was able to walk on heels and toes just fine.

I have had horrible health anxiety and started on 10mg of Lexapro a month ago. Since the neuro said he could not rule it out, it has me really worried. I go for a MRI in a week, which he was not going to do originally but realized I was worried. He checked my creatine kinase which was normal. He didn't mention any other test.

I had two ESWL surgeries for kidney stones and after that is when everything started. I do have a stressful job, a young child, husband and insomnia...not to mention health anxiety. Thank you in advanced for any responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
No ALS. Your doctor has a good handle on it, and so do you.

Most doctors don't officially rule out anything. Some doctors won't rule out a Zombie Apocalypse. They have to CYA because if you developed ALS five years from now--completely unrelated to your current problems--they would be exposed to charges of missing the diagnosis.

Again, no ALS. Not even close.

Small nutritional deficiencies, as well as dehydration, lack of sleep and stress, can cause the symptoms you describe. I would focus on those -- a food/symptom diary can help. It may be time to bag the high heels and look for a new job.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back