Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
HI!

First off, I realize how incredibly irritating it can be to have one more relentless hypochondriac post on this forum. So just would like to apologize in advance. If I had ALS, I would find it difficult to suffer fools myself :p Just wanted to post my symptoms and ask if it even sounds like possible onset of ALS.

In the past two weeks, I've had awful spasticity, soreness, and a feeling of weakness that probably could be better characterized as heaviness in all of my limbs. The weakness/heaviness in my legs doesn't seem to be particularly more pronounced in either, I am not experiencing foot drop, nor am I unable to walk on my toes. It's just that walking is incredibly fatiguing and my balance and coordination have been off. I am able to lift heavy objects with my hands, but have been clumsy and continuously dropping things. Have had occasional fasciculations in my legs, but not enough to be notable. I visited my GP who told me my reflexes seemed normal.

I'm 100% aware anxiety can cause all of these perceived 'symptoms', but they feel incredibly physically palpable and not particularly anxiety-wrought.

Obviously, two weeks is not enough time to even imagine ALS, but did anyone's symptoms begin with sudden weakness and spasticity in all four limbs? Or does this sound like it could be a different neurological issue, if one at all?

Any insight would be deeply appreciated,
Elliot x

It does not sound like any ALS onset I have heard of.

Kindly read the sticky for this section. "Read before posting." You clearly did not do so as you posted in the wrong section

Thanks, and sorry-I will take note in the future, though obviously should probably avoid posting in general so as not to take up your time.

More likely systemic than neurological. If/when persistent, progressive and interfering with daily activities, see an internist for a workup.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie, what possible systemic causes could there be? Lyme disease, or something along those lines?

Too many to count -- top probability a passing virus.
Dropping things is very easy to do once your brain begins to wonder about weakness. Don't take it too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back