Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ny
City
ossining
Started having twitching in mid april. body wide. along with it came arm/tricep pain and some leg pain on and off. both legs. I remember having some sort of soreness or pain in three body parts in like a week. I said to myself. I dont think that is how als works. The twitching continued and i saw some atrophy in my bicep after working out. First nuero gave me the full blood work and and emg. It came back fine. my blood work was fine. I said to him its only been 30 days if i had something wrong is this enough time. He said yes. That your body would start to break down way before u showed symptoms. So as of mid may i had a clean emg. but still didnt feel right.

twitches spread to my face on and off and too my neck on and off. now i had some cramping on and off. I took diff antioxidants, the steve shakel variety like milk thistle and the c,e, and zinc, grape seed extract along with NAC and alpa lipoic acid, anyways, after a month i stopped it and went for a second opinion. the sec nuero gave a reg exam and said i dont have it. to sit tight and relax. I called my first doctor back last week and he said i have bfs and that that could sometimes cause cramps and to come see him in two weeks just to have him look me over. That all sounded fine, but over the last month i noticed atrophy in about six body parts. Ive also just two days ago felt that ball in the bottom of your throat when you swallow. I also had tongue tingling about amonth ago. that went away after a week and the second nuero said he saw nothing wrong with my tongue. Ive been on this site on and off for two months and ive finally decided to post. I dont get whats going on with me. I had three nueros tell me that if an emg comes back clean your fine.

1.Is it possible to have atrophy in like six different spots in about two months time
2 Its hard to judge weakness, i mean im afraid to go lift weights because if i do have it , then it will burn out my muscles even more. So i do pushups at home from time to time and dont have a problem.
3 if this is limb onset, then why would it go to my throat area already without killing off a limb or damaging it severly. it looks like i have atrophy in a spot in my face. Is that possible this quick and would that be considered bulbar with my ball in bottom of my throat and a slightly sore neck.
4. I told my doctor that i had sore/cramps in my hands and feet on and off for two and a half months. not everyday but maybe every third day or so. He said if that was the case u would be much worse in those areas right now. I am not. So all this made me feel ok, until the ball in bottom of throat came along along with what i think is facial atrophy.
5.could all of the antioxicdants triggered a bad reaction.

Any info would be appreciated. going to see first nuero who gave me and emg next week

Hi,

It is very scary when different things start happening to your body..... Anxiety can make things 10x worse....
Why would you think of ALS as your first thing? There are so many different things it could be....Or it might be BFS like the dr said.....You should go to the gym just don't overdue it.....atrophy in 6 different spots at once is alot for ALS in a short period of time and you would start to notice weakness.... it might be from not workingout.... How was your Nuero exam? Reflexes, etc.

thanks for responding

i started to twitch and get wierd muscle sensations so i googled and bugged out. id say from one month in to two months in i have noticed calf, lower ab left side, face, left pec, upper right pec, and above the knee. all small areas about an inch in diameter that dont look right. i remember going to the gym two weeks ago and lifting 135 155 175 on the bench . im 173 pounds. i usually do it around 6 or 7 times each. i did it almost that amount. i lift up my 30 pound two year old in my left hand every day. So i say tomyself if i had als after 11 weeks wouldnt i have trouble doing ceertain things. Then i get the tingling in the tongue and the throat situation. i dont get it. how do i get face atrophy 10 weeks in at the age of 37. this is insane. what could of i been exposed to.

also

my reflexes and babinski was done twice. both normal. I hope all these antioxidants i took didnt make things worse.

Normal reflexes and babinski is a very good sign. Don't blame yourself about the antioxidants.
I was going to ask did you google muscle twitching and ALS came up. Enjoy your 2 year old, you will never get this time back. Are you taking anything for anxiety?

yes

i take xanax once in a while. makes me tired sometimes. i only take half of a .5. sometimes it seems to slow down my twitching, but then i fall asleep so i dont know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back