07/2014
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Several things we've found helpful, thought I'd post here:

1) "Compression boots" or "sequential leg massager" (Search that term on Amazon and you'll see what I mean). Friends bought these for a Christmas gift, and they've been very helpful. We had seen them and discussed them before -- got a model that cost about $80. My husband is often awakened in the early morning by painful, restless legs, meaning many requests for me to move/bend them, which were frequently met with grouchiness. These boots often allow me a few extra hours sleep or, if I'm already up, allow him to sleep comfortably when he would usually have just surrendered due to an inability to sleep through the discomfort. Most of the brands I see seem similar, ours attach with Velcro and go to just below the knee. Downside it that it auto-stops after 15 minutes -- not sure if some brands allow for continuous operation. Also, is a little loud, so if you find ones that are marketed as quiet and plan to use them for sleeping, that might be good.

2) The "infinity scarf" that my mother bought for my 16 year old daughter for Christmas (deemed "hideous" by the recipient, though she expressed appropriate gratitude to her grandmother) was re-purposed -- we loop it one time, and find it's just the right size to hold his knees together a little so they don't fall off the WC footrests. Realize there are WC attachments for this, but he did not like those so much for some reason...

3) Microwaveable slippers -- have helped a lot when his feet feel ice cold. Another Christmas gift! But searched the term on Amazon and came up with a bunch of similar products. We got the ones that go up the ankle like boots -- they have wheat hulls or something sewn into the foot bed to hold the heat. Seems many (including ours) have lavender added for fragrance, so just a heads up if you hate that smell.

Re: Compression boots, Grandma's "infinity scarf," and microwaveable slippers

Thanks for the ideas. Re:2) My pALS had been using a long belt that is the woven type, so infinitely adjustable, to hold his legs together. I can imagine that a wider, knit infinity scarf could also add some warmth, as he's always cold.

Re: Compression boots, Grandma's "infinity scarf," and microwaveable slippers

Glad it was helpful. We also find that it does double duty in helping keep legs warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back