Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Southport
Veterans with ALS need to know that in order to get their special monthly compensation (SMC) increased as their condition worsens they will need to get a Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) filled out by a doctor of your choice or submit for a C&P exam arranged by the VA.

My recent experience trying to get an increase in my SMC is proving to be a nightmare. The Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) represents me when I must deal with the VA. The PVA is now trying to get my SMC increased because my condition has gotten worse.

In July 2018 I attended the ALS clinic at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. A week after attending the ALS clinic a neurologist that I saw in February 2018 at Mayo but not in July 2018 filled out the DBQ minus important information like hand and finger strength measurement and leg strength measurements. My condition had deteriorated since February 2018 due to a knee injury in April 2018. The doctor stated on the DBQ that my condition had not changed. He did not see me in July 2018 after my knee injury and how my condition had deteriorated. My sister and niece were with me and questioned his statement that I had not changed.

My condition changed to the point that I had to move into my niece's home in May 2018 while waiting on a bed in a veteran's nursing home to open. I now have a C&P exam scheduled by the VA to see a nurse practitioner (NP) to fill out the DBQ. All this could have been avoided if the doctor at Mayo had turned over the DBQ to the NP that I did see in July 2018 at the ALS clinic. I do not see how the doctor can sign a DBQ when he did not physically see or examine me in July 2018.

<commercial links removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually got notes from my husband's visits. I would fill out everything possible on the dba and take it to clinic. At the end of clinic, we left with a newly completed dba. Any time my husband had a change and we saw a Dr, we brought a dba and submitted it.

Great idea thanks. I was told by my PVA representative that the Mayo Clinic will call me to do another DBQ form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back