I been having the doctor come to change track my once a mo. but
I think he has been wanting to quite . I need some advice on
how someone gets theirs changed. My wife wants to do it
but Iam affraid I choke before she got thru with no doctor incase
something goes wro
any advise be appreacicate

Thanks
Tom

Tom, this tracheostomy thing is still very new to us but my wife just changed my trache a couple of days ago. It went very well without any problems or concerns at all. Has your doctor had any problems changing your tube? If not then neither should your wife. I think it is marvelous she is willing to do it.

Joel- thank you so much for sharing this with us. You are changing my mind about Trachs. Cindy

joel

thanks I might try that its so much trouble getting all ready
I am on oxgen to.

Thaks for reply
Tom

Excuse my ignorance, but what's to setup? It takes about 5 seconds to make the change, so the whole time you are off the vent is less than 10 seconds. I am honestly not exaggerating .!

Cindy, Nothing would please me more than for PALS to consider getting a tracheostomy and vent! It really is not a big deal if you plan on having it done, and prepare ahead of time, and then actually have it done before it is an emergency. Quality of life has improved so much!
It I can do it anyone can!

Hi Joel -

I think you meant me when you asked "what's to set up?" You are right - the actual vent attachment switch is 5 seconds or less.

The time comes in in arranging the tubes so they do not pull - getting her into the sling - manuevering the vent and chair into position - lifting and lowering while keeping tubes from pulling on trach, then disconnecting other vent and humidifier, turning off alarms. We have it down to a well choreographed dance - and it is still an endeavor.

Her arms have to be placed just so because she cannot do it herself - we only have so much length of tubing to manuever with - so there is a lot of wheelchair and vent-stand jockeying. We go slowly so as not get entangled in 2 sets of hoses and all the attendant wires - all of which have to be carefully positioned vis-a-vis six lifting straps on the ceiling lift.

It is very easy to pull on Pat's vent tubing- remember- we are moving within a confined space with a bed and all kinds of equipment to crawl around.

The actual attachment and tie-down of the vent to the trach is a cinch - it is the entire transfer procedure with a nearly completely paralyzed person that takes time and deliberation.

Take care - Beth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back