Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I have been asking myself about my recent dreams. The situations vary, but usually I am involved in something interpersonal that is stressful or worrisome. My therapist says that I am revisiting past experiences to improve the outcomes.

Offsetting this are memories that give me warm and comfortable feelings. Summer shop camp where I made my own leather stamps for tooling wallets and other items and the wood holders and case to hold them all. Playing table top pool at the boys club and collegiate style wrestling at the YMCA; Woodworking and using the lath. These are all comforting thoughts from my early years. There are many others. Fishing, boating, crabbing during my early teens. First kisses on the church steps...memories that need no correction. These are memories that we all posses. Memories that I am finding once more as I remember my past.

Just rambling on.... makes it feel better though.

Feel free to ramble. Most do it down in the OTHER Forum.

AL.

I dont see anything wrong with remmebering those times. I am finding myself in my short time dealing with ALS taking stock in all my memories, all the things I have done and enjoy, and the people I did them with. It more comforting to remember way back than to think to far ahead. Maybe they dont meant anything they are just there for you to enjoy anytime you want, your own little TIVO lol.

I believe what you are going through mirrors my experience. Early on after diagnosis I stopped looking ahead with the exceptons of visualizing my funeral and my wife's life without me. I instead began thinking about past experiences some very distant and some I had never before recalled. I agree with your therapist that improving past outcomes was much of the thinking. I'd like to go back and relive some of these to enhance the experience.

I don't like thinking about the future. It is not a pretty picture. Now I'll get off the couch.

Thanks for sharing.

- - Good marks for your analyst! My dreams have vastly improved in the past three months, much to my delight. Negative dreams were really getting to be a drag. I really really relate to your post. Thanks for sharing this tidbit ! ! Good luck wishes to you.

I like remembering but i do it in a journal, on my laptop. That's because i like to write. Remembering is a great gift. My Dad used to help me through bad dreams by getting me to finish them differently, with a good ending. I think we can do this with any memory that haunts us...from bad things that happened to us, to bad things we did and regret. We can work them through to some kind of completion.
I saw a bumpersticker yesterday when I was out on my scooter enjoying the sun. It read: "DO NOT POSTPONE JOY! I think that is fabulous. I am working on letting go of everything that keeps me hung up in the past and the future, so that I can really enjoy the now.
Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back