Come for Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of BACON.... feel like watching Footloose & munching on a bacon cheeseburger!

My family calls me "the baconater" now. They're still in shock (as am I) that it's my new fav. food choice- given that I've been the sole family vegetarian for over 20 yrs. D 'ya think this bacon fixation is an un-reported ALS symptom?

must be something in the curing of bacon that ALS folks need...! Lack of caring about cholesterol doesn't hurt either.

Now I'm going to have to have bacon ASAP!

Elaine, I think so. I CRAVE bacon like there's no tomorrow. It used to be very very rare for me to ever eat it.

Also, I would like to further clarify my bacon-wrapped weenies recipe. Some substitutions are allowed, with the following exceptions:

baconwrapnot.jpg

Elaine, I think so. I CRAVE bacon like there's no tomorrow. It used to be very very rare for me to ever eat it.

:idea::idea::idea:Hey Sarah, maybe we'll win the Nobel prize for figuring out there's a link between ALS and bacon! You think? Ah, truth be told it is a pig of a disease! :razz:

Years ago I worked for an animal feed additive (flavors) company out of Chicago (Northbrook) and the R&D guys explained that pigs have the same taste buds as humans! In fact, I was told, pigs are closer to us than apes are. Who knew? Wonder if pigs crave us too?;)

Ok if we're going to turn this into a genuine scientific study, then we'll need to follow the scientific method.

HYPOTHESIS: Craving bacon is an unreported ALS symptom.

PREDICTIONS:
Theories supporting this phenomenon include:
1. Lack of caring about cholestrol unleashing formerly inhibited bacon cravings;
2. Body desires something bacon possesses from the curing process; and
3. Awesome people like us just eat a lot of bacon.

On to data collection... everyone must keep a bacon eating journal. Please note the date and time of consumption, brand of bacon consumed and cooking method, and number of slices consumed.

Also, we need to actively seek other PALS Bacon Eaters. Who would like to be in charge of recruitment?

This is exciting, ladies! We're gonna be famous... if I don't fall out on the floor, dying of laughter first! ;D

It is so funny about Sarah and the bacon cravings. My dad who has ALS has always loved bacon too. My mom who passed away in '97 was always worried that he ate too much bacon and was worried his cholesterol would get so high that he'd have heartattack. But, he came down with ALS instead. But, my dad is quite awesome too though Sarah.
I'm have a good head cold now but emotionally am feeling a little better. I asked my youngest last night if he'd like to call his grandpa in Texas. He said "Sure." So, I helped him dial the #. Eric had a nice chat with his grandpa and without any prompting he told him how much he loved and missed him. I then talked to my dad too. My dad was so thrilled that Eric was so happy to talk to him.
I'm trying to take it one day at a time. All of your support and sometimes goofiness really have helped me out. I wish none of us had to live this nightmare of this horrible disease but it helps to talk to others who understand what I'm going through.
Good luck on the recruitment Sarah! lol Sending everyone a big hug! Kim

Sarah, I would suggest swab sampling keyboards, it tells the whole story. I just ate two by the way.

Johnny - clever sheepdog. Our dogs have a smug look on their faces when they've done something. Thinking of training them to go into the local shop to "retrieve" a bottle of wine or two.
Bacon....I just put bacon, sausages (square sliced - scottish thing), black pudding, fruit pudding, sliced haggis etc into a big dish with some oil and pop it in the oven, low heat for a while. Ducks eggs and tattie scones are done on the hob. Serve the lot with hot buttered oat cakes. Yum.

I draw the line at haggis!

every morn without fail, i have me porridge oats......

Hot wallpaper paste Johnny, can't stand the stuff. Hubby does it properly with a bowl of cooked oats and a bowl of warm milk. Like a strange ritual. Bacon butty for me. :) Having said that, he is 69, walking 20 miles a day with a heavy rifle on his back (gamekeeper) and I'm puffed out climbing the stairs with the washing.......and I'm 15 years younger.

used to love me bacon butties...now me taste buds wont take meat for odd reasons....am really put out that a scottish lass dont eat porridge....and envy yer old man, walking like he does........och..i de..noo...johnny

Oh my... You all have me laughing out loud...I'll be part of the bacon study, not the haggis though and I like my bacon cooked in the oven... Less splatter and smell...fairly crisp but not burnt... Keep the dogs away from my bacon, smug ones they are!

Jen

Anyone ever cook bacon in a toaster oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back