Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
NO
State
BC
My das had als, his arms and hands are very weak and he has a drop head and it keeps getting worse and worse. We live in Norway, and it doesn't seem like there´s anyone in this country who knows a lot about this disease. Till now he´s gotten one collar from the hospital, and ordered around 10 different once online, but he cant seem to find the perfect one. It needs to be kind of stong, since the head is dropping and he needs to be able to relax bit. It would be nice if it can go up and down too, so he can eat while he has it on. Preferable it would be so good if its easy to put on, since he doesn't have help with that all the time. Does anyone have a tip for us? It would mean the world to us. Thank you everyone.

My dad has the same problem. I would appreciate any advise from other members

There are two basic categories of collars: foam and plastic. Then are some that are both.

There is soft, medium and firm density foam. We used medium. They come in heights of 3, 3.5 and 4". Height is important. Too tall and you smother. Too short and you flop.

These are on Amazon. Look for VIVE adjustable neck brace for some kinds and the ITA-MED brand for others, including the plastic + foam one. You can also search on plastic cervical collar.

There is a softer one with less bulk in back that we used in the wheelchair, the Embrace Sleep Collar.

We tried the Headmaster, Aspen, Philly, Shane's Brace -- all too structured or flimsy. For the more structured collars, if you want to try, Neck Solutions carries most of them.

We used tilt/recline in the wheelchair so Larry did not have to wear a collar in his wheelchair, except for going out (bouncing over curb cuts, etc.) and transfers. For transfers, we used the plastic w/ foam one or usually the medium density foam. But everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back