Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Coarsegold
this is the second time this year I've been down and out. The worst part is the breathing is extremely strained. that is nothing new and I have never used bipap or trilogy. I'm getting antibiotics tonight and so far my regimen is Musinex, breathing treatments with the mask and smoke stuff. Unfortunately the cough assist isn't working but I am able to cough up the gunk it's just hard to suction it because it's so far back.

any other tips out there? I actually slept well last night after having a terrible day but woke up today with a cough attack. I can't drink anything cause I have feeding tube. Thanks for all thoughts!

Can you use a nasal spray? If you can consider both a steriod spray like flonase and a saline spray. Humidification. If your breathing goes south go to te ED.

I have a cold now too so very sympathetic. I am lucky my breathing is ok.guiafenesin ( mucinex) is definitely helping me as is the nasal spray

I lost my sister to complications from a cold which is why I suggest having a low tolerance for seeking emergency care

Feel better

will the company supply cough assist come out with working one? That's what happens if equipment for breathing fails here?

Make sure your furnace filters are clean, consider a room humidifier, a nasal steroid is a good idea, and you could try warm apple, pineapple or papaya juice in your tube -- not just against the mucus but to ramp up your hydration.

curious to see if anyone has used hyoscyamine to dry up secretions and what your experience was if you had tried. The hospice nurse recommended it but I'm just not exactly sure what the benefit is.

I don’t believe in drying up secretions from a cold. You need to get rid of the virus as fast as possible not keep it inside you.

I agree with Nikki.

Main use of Hyoscyamine is to treat spasms of bowel and bladder. So in addition to drying you out, it may make it hard for you to pee and poop, and you don’t need that.

Steroid nasal spray makes sense. I also suggest using a saline nose spray (“Ocean” or equivalent store brand). Squirt this up the nose then blow it out (or suction out if you can’t blow) to clean out the nose, and follow this up with the steroid spray (Flonase, Nasonex, or equivalent).

Lots of hydration is key.

Best of luck.

To expand on Karen's comment, you/your CALS can sometimes take out nasal mucus with a baby bulb aspirator, such as are found in drug stores.

For those with suction machines, some people use an olive tip to suction out the nose, in addition to the standard attachment for the mouth.

Do you folks in the US have flu shots. We in Ontario can get them from your doctor, your pharmacist, or at many Flu Clinics. I have been getting the shots every year for about the last 15 years and no Flu. They are free no matter where you go. Is such a thing available to you folks.

We get flu shots, yes. Mine is free. Unfortunately it protects aginst certain strains of flu but does not protect against cold viruses. And if they guess wrong on flu strains you won’t have the same protection. As we get older as long as our immune systems have not been compromised we have residual protection from previous exposures.

We get flu shots, yes. Mine is free. Unfortunately it protects aginst certain strains of flu but does not protect against cold viruses. And if they guess wrong on flu strains you won’t have the same protection. As we get older as long as our immune systems have not been compromised we have residual protection from previous exposures.

Sounds like ours. Thx
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back