Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
My husband (DX 8/07 - limb onset - 1st symptom 6/05) has cold hands all the time. His refill time is very slow. His right hand, which is where his symptoms first started is worse than the left hand, which is also slow.

I am going to call his Dr. about this, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any thoughts about it. Is circulation affected when the muscle dies? He has very limited use of his hands left.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Linda. My legs from the knees down to my feet are always cold and my hands have started to be cold all the time in the last week or so. I know the circulation is not as good as the muscles do play a role in helping the heart to move blood. My blood pressure is lower than it's ever been and I've been taken off 2 of my BP meds in the last year or so. The Cardio said with less moving around BP will be less. My hands have been cold all night and are starting to feel warm now after typing and mousing for 40 minutes. I guess the movement helps.

AL.

hi linda

my right hand that is weaker is ofton freezing cold,you can feel the difference to my left hand that is room temp.
my feet are also ofton freezing cold,i sometimes need to wear socks in the summer or use a heater to warm them up.
if als is effecting his hand then i would say it is also effecting the circulation.
i know the freezing hands/feet is not always due to not moving at all,but due to a weakness as while using the computer my hand can go stone cold.
i think giving a good rub down and applying heat is all you can do.
i hope you and hubby are ok,i will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

I am just putting in my two cents here to let you know that low blood pressure isn't a cause for alarm. If you are on medication, it means you should lessen or eliminate it altogether though... But be sure to consult your doctor before tampering with changing your doses. And another thing, if you aren't drinking enough (I mean water) your blood pressure readings are lower.

May I ask, what is refill time?

In the issue of cold hands, doesn't that mean you have a warm heart? Marjorie..

About cold hands (and warm hearts :)) . . . I've had cold hands for years, not related to ALS, but I've found the fastest way to warm them up is under hot water. Back when I was working, I'd go to the john and run hot water over them for a couple minutes amd the effect lasted a long time.

And I agree with Al, sometimes movement and activity will warm them up ... but if your husband can't use them much, that could be contributing to the coldness.

Thanks for your responses.

Marjorie, you know how if you press on an area (say your finger or toe) and the spot turns white and then you can see it return to normal color? That is refill. The time it takes to return to normal color is the refill time.

My husband's hands are the only place that the refill time is slow. I even checked his gums to be sure.

refill time

Thanks for the info on refill time. Now I'm pressing everywhere to see how long I stay white! You know, I have done something often while growing up. I can take my forefinger of my right hand and write my name on my left arm, and you can see it in white for several minutes. Does that mean I have slow refill time? Thanks. M

My hands and feet are freezing all the time. The only way I can get warm anymore is hopping into the Jacuzzi. It warms me up for quite awhile. There is one draw back, however, I get super weak also. I guess that's to be expected, but I can live withit, I just have to be very careful.

My Feet Were So Cold Blue With Blisters I Went To The Doc And She Said It Was Chillbain A Form Of Frost Bite
Now I Use A Electric Blanket On Them

Pat1

Wow, Pat- that sounds painful. I remember reading in old stories that people used to get Chillbain but I never knew what it was.

Pat,

I was wondering how you were you haven't been on much. Do they do anything for the frostbite.
I also sit with a heating pad on my feet at times when they get really cold.

It Took About A Month For The Blisters To Go Away
Now I Wear Heavy Socks Warm Slippers And A Electtric Blanket
My Computer Died Thats Why I Been Missing For A While
I Have Been The Same For A Month Now Which Is A Plus:)

Pat1

I was raised in northeren N.Y. I live down south now and will be all bundled up while others have a light jacket on...... I could never live in the cold again, I give kudos to those of you that do! It is strangest when your face can be hot from the glaring sun in your vehicle but your legs and feet can get frozen because of no heat down below your seat........ I always apologize for my hands, i hate when i have to touch or shake hands with someone.... Even my nose will get ice cold, i get a lot blankets for presents! Happy Holidays, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back