Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
Minnesota (MN)
City
Fridley
What do you do for a coat? I've lost a lot of movement and strength in my arms and as winter is approaching I need to wear a coat. I can't put on a coat or take it off very easily. I searched the internet and they seem to make things for people in wheelchairs but I couldn't find anything for those of us that can still walk.

So what do you do for a winter coat.

Thanks in advance

Cloaks and shawls but I realize these are easier for a woman to carry off than a man!
Stay warm!

I had the same problem last winter - ended up buying an oversize lightweight coat which was easier to get on and off and that I could lift - but was no fashion statement! Then I layered as temperatures dictated. I put the coat on it like we learned in kindergarten - both arms in and toss it over the head. When that got tough, I laid it on the back on the couch and kinda crawled into to it.

This year - I'll be shopping for wheelchair type coat.

I found a sweater coat that zips in the back, assuming you have someone to zip it for you from epiphany designs.

Sounds like you get dressed on your own. So I would echo a lightweight raincoat style from London Fog or Lands End or somewhere like that. They are lined and layer well. Weather permitting, since you probably do better w/ shirts, consider warmer shirts, e.g. flannel/fleece, and then try a button down sweater or a zip-insulated vest. Shirt-jacs can be well-insulated as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about a cape but couldn't find one that was made for a man. I have a really hard time even putting on a regular shirt and have gone to pull-overs. I put my arms in then lay back on the bed to get my head in then get up and shake until the shirt falls into place.

I have someone that can sometimes help before I leave home but once I'm at work I'm on my own. So getting the coat off and then back on is almost impossible.

I'll keep looking and keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks

I did find some for men try also looking for cloaks. They all look pretty dramatic though even the non costume ones! Is there truly no one at work to give a hand? I had an assistant who had a hand disability. Did not need help with coat but did need assistance sometimes. I never gave it a thought when she asked for help and neither did her coworkers
Sorry this is such a struggle for you

maybe try a pancho?

Ooooooh I SO want a Clint Eastwood poncho

Attachments

• poncho.png
    poncho.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 234
Love the Clint Eastwood poncho but getting it over my head would be a problem. I'm leaning towards a cape but I may have to find someone to make one for me. I searched online but the majority are just a little to dramatic for me to wear on a daily basis.

On another note I did order a murse so I can see me now sporting a cape with my man purse.

I found these but I can't find where they are sold. The tan one looks manly and rugged.

867eb7a2bb772687320926f21a25fefc_6399.png

Whatever you get, if it is lined with a slippery fabric like nylon it will be easier to get on and off. I was recently given a heavy sweater with a zip opening instead of buttons. It thought it would be difficult to don but in fact it has a very slippery liner and I use it constantly now that cool fall weather is here.

Love the Clint Eastwood poncho but getting it over my head would be a problem. I'm leaning towards a cape but I may have to find someone to make one for me. I searched online but the majority are just a little to dramatic for me to wear on a daily basis.

On another note I did order a murse so I can see me now sporting a cape with my man purse.

Would it be harder that a regular shirt? Also, you could probably find one that is more cape like that has a simple clasp near the neck.

Let us know what you find!

Maybe if you design it. The sharks will fund it?..

Well to put on a regular shirt is difficult at best. I only wear pull over shirts now and to put them on I put my arms in the armholes and pull my arms through the sleeves then I lay down on the bed and raise my arms over my head and get my head aligned with the neck opening and slide it over my head and then I get off the bed wiggle a little until the shirt is in place. I used to always wear my shirts tucked in but gave that up during the summer.

So I'm pretty sure that a cape is the way to go. I don't really want anything with armholes since I can't even put on a bathrobe without help.

If and when I find something I'll post a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back