CMS Opens Consideration for Seat Elevation Systems Coverage, A public comment period on seat elevation systems coverage is open until September 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please consider doing this. Important to remember this is not standing this is adjusting your seat height (standing is a separate fight). Also remember they are looking for medical need such as a transfer from the chair to something of a different height. They do not care that being able to raise your chair to see someone eye to eye is a quality of life issue

I had to fight to get my elevation covered and I lost. The provider told me it would be covered. In the end Permobil ate the cost.

This would be wonderful. I think my elevation cost around $3,000.

The form only takes a minute to complete.

But they do matter trying to reach cabinets above the sink. It's not only for ALS but it's for other conditions, diseases, etc. I have an SCI which has limited reaching for 12 years prior to ALS.

Send it in emails, post in social media and do it every 2-4 days. Every day would push many away as they might see it as a paid ad. I just included personal bits (10-20) on a list of just under 1,000. My hope is that it won't be identified as SPAM!

I picked a Medicare advantage plan that covers 100% DME. My two ventilators, cough assist, two suction machines, two power wheelchairs, trach supplies and feeding tube formula have been covered 100%.
First PWC in 2017 my permobil had the 12" elevation covered but not the anterior tilt.
I just received my second PWC and got 12" seat, 10 degrees anterior tilt and eye gaze control. All covered 100%. I did want 30 degrees anterior tilt but couldn't get it approved.
Overall I am pretty pleased with my insurance coverage.

I have ALS and lost the ability to walk. I have a motorized wheelchair. I have a seat elevator. Thank God for Team Gleason. They helped pay for it. Medicare would not cover the cost of the seat elevator. I could not live without it. It allows me to raise up and transfer to my bed. It allows me to raise and access my freezer and different cabinet heights and my microwave which is above my stove. Helps me raise to reach things on countertops and kitchen and bathroom sinks. It is a necessity. Makes me more independent.

What state and plan did you get. Mine only covers 80%. I'm on my 3rd chair in 8 years. Someone at our church pays my portion. Crazy. I flipped my 1st one twice. I spoke at a golf fundraiser and tried to keep up with the carts, went to a tunnel and there was a back up. I turned to miss and flipped. The other I was taking a picture of our old town center and missed the curb. A guy stopped and picked my and the chair up and off he went.

REMINDER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT BY WEDNESDAY! We Need The ALS Community to Help Secure Medicare Coverage for Critical Wheelchair Technology

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this is approved. I commented, citing safety concerns when we are forced to stand on unsteady legs to perform simple tasks such as getting a drink of water, as well as the need for shorter people to be able to reach cupboards or the top of stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back