Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
Most of my stable of wheelchairs, all known by the colourful name Bugger, have been modified out in the shed before they first set wheel inside the house. But when B4 finally arrived it was immediately evident that there was a great deal of work to be done! Bugger Mark IV is actually the property of our local health service (a fact I sometimes forget, perhaps because we paid a fair slice of the cost…) given to me on permanent loan. In order to take possession of this wonderful vehicle an official ‘letter of loan’ had to be signed, and hidden within the fine print were these enticing words….

“…shall refrain from making inappropriate use of,
or modification to, items supplied.”

Well, what could I do? There were any number of highly appropriate modifications just begging to be made! In my travels I’ve not seen another chair with much done to it, and from the comments of health workers I gather B4 may be fairly unique. The basic out-of-the-box wheelchair is a pretty inflexible and often uncomfortable contraption. I’ve often thought that some simple additions could make a world of difference to other wheelchair users; and so this essay is a step towards sharing some ideas that might be useful to someone, somewhere.

So, may I introduce you to my great friend…

clever-bugger-42kb.jpg

Arm Rests
armrest 1.jpg armrest 2.JPG The chair arrived brand new with short, narrow arm rests that provided very little support. A longer, contoured arm rest was available from the supplier, but the cost was absurd – like so much else in the world of disability equipment. These arms are made from $20 worth of Tasmanian Oak from Bunnings. They are of slightly different lengths, so that the user’s arms are in matching position while operating the controls. The arm rest is long enough to support the user’s hand right up to the control unit. At the back are two small rails that support the driver’s elbow, and at the front a small rail underneath the arm provides good grip. Without exageration, these armrests changed my world.

Glove Box
glovebox 2.JPG It’s impossible to get to your pockets when you drive a car, and a wheel chair is no different. In the glove box I keep my phone, keys, a pen, small tools, a telescopic mirror, voice cards and various special things that my Little One deems suitable! Recessed into the lid is a fob watch, essential if you don’t want to miss the bus!

Roll-Up Table
roll up table 1.JPG The most useful thing! I’ve seen an occasional wheelchair with a table, but they are large and ungainly, and there is nowhere to store them onboard. A table is so handy when travelling, or outdoors, or even indoors, and especially when using a computer. This table is made from timber slats strung together with elasticized cord; it sits in a slot in the right hand armrest, and under the lid of the glove box on the left. It rolls up, and is stored in a 60mm PVC pipe under the seat. (Pictures of the unrolled table sitting in its place are seen here under the headings 'Arm Rests' and 'Voice Amplifier').

Useful Stick
uesful stick 1.JPG useful stick 2.JPG Stored in another PVC pipe, this stick is useful for everything that is slightly out of reach. I use it a dozen times daily for power points, self-closing doors, and even for driving the chair itself when it is parked too far away.

Voice Amplifier
voice amplifier 2.JPG Voice amplifiers are usually supplied with belt clips and neck straps; cumbersome ways of managing the device. This voice amplifier sits in a recess in the right hand arm. The volume control is always at the user’s fingertips, and because the loud speaker faces away from the microphone the volume can be turned up considerably without feedback. I now use the amplifier with a netbook computer to produce synthesised speech. The netbook’s carry bag can be seen hanging beneath the armrest, and is easily accessible from the chair.

Pick-Up Stick
pick up stick.JPG A collapsible pick-up stick can be stored in a length of PVC pipe, and is always on hand at the front of the chair. In wet weather this is also a good place to stow the umbrella once undercover or on a bus. Althougth the pick-up stick looks exposed to damage in this position, I have found that it has lasted perfectly well throughout a year of constant use.

Walking Sticks & Umbrella
walking sticks 1.JPG Never leave home without them! A squash ball keeps sticks secure in a length of PVC pipe and prevents them rattling. A spring-loaded, automatically opening umbrella is a great asset. Mounting the PVC pipes at a single point on the bar behind the seat allows them to pivot when the chair is tilted backwards.

Seat Belt
A ‘racing harness’ style belt is made from 50mm webbing and plastic buckles that loop onto the chair’s lap-sash belt. Adding this has provided much more stability, greatly increasing my range and reducing fatigue while driving.

12 Volt Power
12 volt power.JPG I ordered the chair with two 12 volt power outlets, useful for charging phone or computer. A 12 volt charger on the other side of the chair keeps AAA batteries charged and ready for lamps and for the amplifier. A timber guard protects the wiring from weather or accidental fingers.

Head and Tail Lamps
Lamps are essential for travelling after dark, and are useful indoors as well. You can’t exactly ‘feel your way’ down a dark hallway in a power chair! Bicycle lamps are an affordable alternative to purpose built wheelchair lights.

Larger pictures and some additional pictures can be found here.

I feel sure that I would not have achieved nearly as much in the last twelve months without these straightforward improvements. Of course, not everyone has the opportunity to tinker with timber and screws in the shed; and I’m grateful I did all this months ago, as most of it would be beyond my ability today. I’m also enormously grateful to have grown up in the home of a carpenter, where there were tools aplenty and every encouragement to learn to build. I’d love to think something here might be of use.

Wow. Ingenious, Roderick. The table alone is fantastic, but you've incorporated so many wonderful helps into your chair. I wonder if you could patent and sell your ideas. Thanks for the visit to Clever Bugger!

Ann

I am at awe of your geniousness and creativeness! I think Ann has a good idea. Get some patents going and see if you can sell the idea to chair manufacturers. Could bring in a chunk of change to help with finances!

Wow. Isn't B4 fantastic. Well done. Mind you I feel a little sad too as it shows me how far away from being able to use a chair (or should I say character) like B 4 we are. Happy driving. May you have many adventures with your newly minted chair. Hope you do patent some of your ideas. Wonderful adaptations.

Very cool!

But where is the death ray and ejector button for the seat?

Very cool!

But where is the death ray and ejector button for the seat?

I know Richard! There are those moments when you so wish you could deploy a rocket or two; or at least fire a warning shot over the heads of the medical profession!

Wow. Isn't B4 fantastic. Well done. Mind you I feel a little sad too as it shows me how far away from being able to use a chair (or should I say character) like B 4 we are. Happy driving. May you have many adventures with your newly minted chair. Hope you do patent some of your ideas. Wonderful adaptations.

Oh, I am glad you said "character", that is so true! I don't think Ive ever before formed such a bond with an inanimate object. I do understand your comment about sadness as well, and isn't that a hard thing. I want to share the high points, and yet I realise that there is a sorrow in that as well. God bless you and your mum.

w00t! I was planning on holding out for the robosuit, but don't that chair beat all!

Roderick, kudos to you, your so creative.

Definitely creative--but does having arms resting on the wooden armrests increase pain in the elbow? (I always buy even office chairs with padded arms for this reason)

Definitely creative--but does having arms resting on the wooden armrests increase pain in the elbow? (I always buy even office chairs with padded arms for this reason)

I had originally planned to put some thin padding along the rear third of the timber arm rests, but soon discovered it was not neccessesary. I use the chair many hours per day, and although I put considerable weight on my arms I have not fournd the timber to be uncomofortable, even in short sleeved shirts. I'm a bit surprised about this myself!

Just remember that resting your elbows on something hard increases your risk of nerve issues down the road--cubital tunnel, I believe it's called, but don't quote me on the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back