Status
Not open for further replies.
Edges of His Ways, by Amy Carmichael, January 11

Next time we read of David being in serious trouble he had no Jonathan to strengthen his hands. "And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him....But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God." (1 Samuel 30. 6) Long afterwards, when he was delivered from Saul, he sang one of his songs, "It is God that girdeth me with strength... Thou hast girded me with strength...The Lord liveth." (Psalm 18. 2, 39, 46) (His dear Jonathan was dead, but he does not even think of him, all that matters is, "The Lord liveth; and blessed be my Rock".)

If he had leaned on Jonathan, if Jonathan had made himself necessary to David, he would not have leaned on his Rock and proved the glorious strength of his Rock; his whole life would have been lived on a lower level, and who can tell how many of his songs would have been left unwritten, with great loss to the glory of God and to the Church of all the ages?

So let us not weaken those whom we love by weak sympathy, but let us love them enough to detach them from ourselves and strengthen their hands in God.

STREAMS IN THE DESERT BY LB COWMAN

"Reckon it nothing but joy... whenever you find yourself hedged in by the various trials, be assured that the testing of your faith leads to power of endurance" (James 1:2-3) Weymouth

God hedges in His own that He may preserve them, but oftentimes they only see the wrong side of the hedge, and so misunderstand His dealings. It was so with Job (Job 3:23). Ah, but Satan knew the value of that hedge! See his testimony in chapter 1:10.

Through the leaves of every trial there are chinks of light to shine through. Thorns do not prick you unless you lean against them, and not one touches without His knowledge. The words that hurt you, the letter which gave you pain, the cruel wound of your dearest friend, shortness of money--are all known to Him, who sympathizes as none else can and watches to see, if, through all, you will dare to trust Him wholly.

The hawthorn hedge that keeps us from intruding,
Looks very fierce and bare
When stripped by winter, every branch protruding
Its thorns that would wound and tear.
But spring-time comes; and like the rod that budded,
Each twig breaks out in green;
And cushions soft of tender leaves are studded,
Where spines alone were seen,
The sorrows, that to us seem so perplexing,
Are mercies kindly sent
To guard our wayward souls from sadder vexing,
And greater ills prevent.
To save us from the pit, no screen of roses
Would serve for our defense,
The hindrance that completely interposes
Stings back like thorny fence.
At first when smarting from the shock, complaining
Of wounds that freely bleed,
God's hedges of severity us paining,
May seem severe indeed.
But afterwards, God's blessed spring-time cometh,
And bitter murmurs cease;
The sharp severity that pierced us bloometh,
And yields the fruits of peace.
Then let us sing, our guarded way thus wending
Life's hidden snares among,
Of mercy and of judgment sweetly blending;
Earth's sad, but lovely song.

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE
EL ROI

The Lord will watch over your coming

and going both now and forevermore.

Psalm 121:8

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, do not be afraid, even when you are alone. You are never out of My sight. You can never be lost from My presence. At all times you are under My watchful eye. Listen closely, and I will tell you which direction to take. Read My words. Like a flashlight in the dark, they will light the way for you—one step at a time.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
At times, my eyes are blind to the dangers ahead. Emotion-ally and physically exhausted, I look to You, my source, to guard me. Like an ancient sentinel on guard for the enemy, You alert me from Your watchtower. Your angels are before me, behind me, and beside me.

SIMPLE TRUTH

The journey is not so hard when your eyes are on the Lord.

Edges Of His Ways, by Amy Carmichael, January 12

John 15.12: This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Was the love of Jonathan rather a cold kind of love, the love that does not care very much to be "loved back again"? David did not think so: "Very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love was wonderful, passing the love of women." (2 Samuel 1. 26) To love as Jonathan loved, and to show that love as he showed his, is not to be hard, or cold; it is not to give a stone when a hungry heart asks for bread.

We cannot love one another too much. It is impossible to love too much. "This is my commandment, that ye love one another as I have loved you." We cannot approach that, much less pass it, so we cannot love too much. Let all loving hearts then be at rest about loving. Only let the love be selfless, strong, brave, faithful. There are always chances for strengthening one another's hands in God; let us not lose our chances.

Daily Light on the Daily Path

January 12
MORNING
The only wise God our Saviour.

Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption. — Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory. — The mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: to the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known, by the church, the manifold wisdom of God.

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. — The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

JUDE 25. I Cor. 1:30. ‑Job 11:7,8. I Cor. 2:7. ‑Eph. 3:9,10. Jas. 1:5. Jas. 3:17.

EVENING
When shall I arise, and the night be gone?

Watchman, what of the night? The watchman said, The morning cometh.
Yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. — He shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds.

I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you.

Let all thine enemies perish, O Lord; but let them that love him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might. — Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

There shall be no night there.

JOB 7:4. Isa. 21:11,12. Heb. 10:37. ‑II Sam. 23:4. John 14:2,3,27,28. Judg. 5:31. ‑I Thes. 5:5. Rev. 21:25.

STREAMS IN THE DESERT BY LB COWMAN

In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us" (Romans 8:37).

This is more than victory. This is a triumph so complete that we have not only escaped defeat and destruction, but we have destroyed our enemies and won a spoil so rich and valuable that we can thank God that the battle ever came. How can we be "more than conquerors"? We can get out of the conflict a spiritual discipline that will greatly strengthen our faith and establish our spiritual character. Temptation is necessary to settle and confirm us in the spiritual life. It is like the fire which burns in the colors of mineral painting, or like winds that cause the mighty cedars of the mountain to strike more deeply into the soil. Our spiritual conflicts are among our choicest blessings, and our great adversary is used to train us for his ultimate defeat. The ancient Phrygians had a legend that every time they conquered an enemy the victor absorbed the physical strength of his victim and added so much more to his own strength and valor. So temptation victoriously met doubles our spiritual strength and equipment. It is possible thus not only to defeat our enemy, but to capture him and make him fight in our ranks.

The prophet Isaiah speaks of flying on the shoulders of the Philistines (Isa. 11:14). These Philistines were their deadly foes, but the figure suggested that they would be enabled not only to conquer the Philistines, but to use them to carry the victors on their shoulders for further triumphs. Just as the wise sailor can use a head wind to carry him forward by tacking and taking advantage of its impelling force; so it is possible for us in our spiritual life through the victorious grace of God to turn to account the things that seem most unfriendly and unfavorable, and to be able to say continually, "The things that were against me have happened to the furtherance of the Gospel."
--Life More Abundantly

A noted scientist observing that "early voyagers fancied that the coral-building animals instinctively built up the great circles of the Atoll Islands to afford themselves protection in the inner parts," has disproved this fancy by showing that the insect builders can only live and thrive fronting the open ocean, and in the highly aerated foam of its resistless billows. So it has been commonly thought that protected ease is the most favorable condition of life, whereas all the noblest and strongest lives prove on the contrary that the endurance of hardship is the making of the men, and the factor that distinguishes between existence and vigorous vitality. Hardship makes character.
--Selected

"Now thanks be unto God Who always leads us forth to triumph with the Anointed One, and Who diffuses by us the fragrance of the knowledge of Him in every place" (2 Cor. 2:14, literal translation).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

BREAD OF LIFE

"I am the bread of life.

He who comes to me will never go hungry,

and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."

John 6:35

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, I sense your hunger to grow. No one who seeks My presence leaves empty. I will feed you, body, soul, and spirit. Come, sit at My feet daily, and we will share together. I've baked an abundance of delicious bread you've never even tasted. My manna is not of this world, but once you eat it, you will never be hungry again. I will fill you up with Myself.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
From the day I was born, You have known me. These hands You have designed to reach out in love; these feet You have prepared to run swiftly; this mouth You have formed to feed others, as You have fed me daily. You fill my hungry life, Lord, with Your very presence.

SIMPLE TRUTH

Why eat crumbs from the beggar's table, when we can feast with the King?

Weekly Verse

LORD, You establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished You have done for us.” - Isaiah 26:12

Weekly Quote

“How completely satisfying to turn from our limitations to a God who has none. Eternal years lie in His heart. For Him time does not pass, it remains; and those who are in Christ share with Him all the riches of limitless time and endless years. God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirit and relax our nerves.” - A. W. Tozer

Weekly Thought

In a study on "peace of mind" performed by Duke University, several factors were found to contribute greatly to emotional and mental stability. Among common-sense indicators like avoiding self-pity and accepting challenges as a part of life, researchers identified other factors of peace of mind, including the ability to forgive and avoid living in the past, and a belief in something larger than oneself. Not surprisingly, these findings support God's recipe for personal peace: accept His will; believe in His love for you and His plan for you; forgive and receive forgiveness; look forward to the future.

No matter what circumstances or habits are waging war on your inner peace right now, God can give you the grace to live in peace in His presence.

Dear God, I need to trust You more to experience Your peace. I do affirm my absolute faith in You. Amen.

January 13
MORNING
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee.

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee; he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. — I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? — Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. — In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.

The effect of righteousness [shall be] quietness and assurance for ever. — Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. — Peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come.

ISA. 26:3. Psa. 55:22. ‑Isa. 12:2. Matt. 8:26. ‑Phi. 4:6,7. ‑Isa. 30:15. Isa. 32:17. ‑John 14:27. ‑Rev. 1:4.

EVENING

Let not the sun go down upon your wrath.

If thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother ... Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. — When ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Put on, therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. — Be ye kind one to another, ten-derhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

The apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

EPH. 4:26. Matt. 18:15,21,22. ‑Mark 11:25. Col. 3:12,13. ‑Eph. 4:32. Luke 17:5.

January 14

MORNING

My Father is greater than I.

When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven. — My Father, and your Father; ... my God and your God. As the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. — The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. — Thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? — I and my Father are one. — As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's cornmandments, and abide in his love.

JOHN 14:28. Luke 11:2. ‑John 20:17. John 14:31. ‑John 14:10. John 3:35. -John 17:2. John 14:8‑10. -John 10:30. ‑John 15:9,10.

EVENING

[The woman's seed] shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

His visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men. — He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

This is your hour, and the power of darkness. — Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above.

The Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. — He cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.

All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. — In my name shall they cast out devils.

The God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

GEN. 3:15. Isa. 52:14. ‑Isa. 53:5. Luke 22:53. ‑John 19:11. I John 3:8. ‑Mark 1:34. Matt. 28:18. -Mark 16:17. Rom. 16:20.

January 15
MORNING

My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

If ye ... be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For your life is hid with Christ in God. — Our conver-sation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

The flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. — Brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. — Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.

PSA. 119:25. Col. 3:1‑3. ‑Phi. 3:20,21. Gal. 5:17. ‑Rom. 8:12,13. ‑I Pet. 2:11.

EVENING

The measure of faith.

Him that is weak in the faith. — Strong in faith, giving glory to God.

O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? — Great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt.

Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord ... According to your faith be it unto you.

Lord, increase our faith. — Building up yourselves on your most holy faith. — Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith. — He which stablisheth us with you in Christ, ... is God. — The God of all grace ... after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

We ... that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. — Let us not ... judge one another ... but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.

ROM. 12:3. Rom. 14:1. ‑Rom. 4:20. Matt. 14:31. ‑Matt. 15:28. Matt. 9:28,29. Luke 17:5. ‑Jude 20. ‑Col. 2:7. ‑II Cor. 1:21. ‑I Pet. 5:10. Rom. 15:1. ‑Rom. 14:13.

January 16
MORNING
It pleased the Father, that in him should all fulness dwell.

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. - God hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. - Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come. - By him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.

Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. - And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power. - Of his fulness have all we received.

COL. 1:19. John 3:35. Phi. 2:9 11. Eph. 1:21. Col. 1:16. Rom. 14:9. Col. 2:10. Rom. 1:16.

EVENING
Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.

Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. - That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. - He that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

We have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. - That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

REV. 1:19. II Pet. 1:21. I John 1:3. Luke 24:39,40. John 19:35. II Pet. 1:16. I Cor. 2:5.

January 17
MORNING
Thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption.

God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy. He will turn again, he will have com-passion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea. - O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me. O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. - When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. - I waited patiently for the LORD. He brought me up ... out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock.

ISA. 38:17. I John 4:9,10. Mic. 7:18,19. Psa. 30:2,3. Jon. 2:7. Psa. 40:1,2.

EVENING
The things which are.

Now we see through a glass, darkly. - Now we see not yet all things put under him.

We have ... a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts. - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. - The Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.

Little children, it is the last time. - The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

REV. 1:19. I Cor. 13:12. Heb. 2:8. II Pet. 1:19. Psa. 119:105. Jude 17,18. I Tim. 4:1. I John 2:18. Rom. 13:12.

Sharon, are you okay?

January 18
MORNING
Him that was to come.

Jesus ... made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, ... that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. - One died for all. - As by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. - That was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. - God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him. - God ... hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person. - Thou hast given him power over all flesh.

The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

ROM. 5:14. Heb. 2:9. II Cor. 5:14. Rom. 5:19. I Cor. 15:45. -I Cor. 15:46. Gen. 1:26,27. Heb. 1:1 3. John 17:2. I Cor. 15:47,48.

EVENING
Things which shall be hereafter.

As it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit. - The Spirit of truth ... will shew you things to come.

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

REV. 1:19. I Cor. 2:9,10. John 16:13. Rev. 1:7. I Thes. 4:13,14,16,17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back