Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily Light on the Daily Path

January 8
MORNING
They that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. — I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. — For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints, they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off. — The LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people. — Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us.

Be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

PSA. 9:10. Prov. 18:10. Isa. 12:2. Psa. 37:25. Psa. 37:28. I Sam. 12:22. II Cor. 1:10. Heb. 13:5,6.

EVENING
They are without fault before the throne of God.

The iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve. — Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy. He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
He hath made us accepted in the beloved. — To present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight.

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

REV. 14:5. Jer. 50:20. Mic. 7:18,19. Eph. 1:6. Col. 1:22. Jude 24,25.

STREAMS IN THE DESERT BY LB COWMAN

Delayed Blessings

"For the Vision is yet for an appointed time…though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry" (Hab. 2:3).

In the charming little booklet, Expectation Corner, Adam Slowman was led into the Lord's treasure houses, and among many other wonders there revealed to him was the "Delayed Blessings Office," where God kept certain things, prayed for, until the wise time came to send them.

It takes a long time for some pensioners to learn that delays are not denials. Ah, there are secrets of love and wisdom in the "Delayed Blessings Department," which are little dreamt of! Men would pluck their mercies green when the Lord would have them ripe. "Therefore will the Lord WAIT, that He may be gracious unto you" (Isa. 30:18). He is watching in the hard places and will not allow one trial too many; He will let the dross be consumed, and then He will come gloriously to your help.

Do not grieve Him by doubting His love. Nay, lift up your head, and begin to praise Him even now for the deliverance which is on the way to you, and you will be abundantly rewarded for the delay which has tried your faith.

O Thou of little faith,

God hath not failed thee yet!

When all looks dark and gloomy,

Thou dost so soon forget--

Forget that He has led thee,

And gently cleared thy way;

On clouds has poured His sunshine,

And turned thy night to day.

And if He's helped thee hitherto,

He will not fail thee now;

How it must wound His loving heart

To see thy anxious brow!

Oh! doubt not any longer,

To Him commit thy way,

Whom in the past thou trusted,

And is "just the same today."

--Selected

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

GOOD SHEPHERD

"I am the good shepherd;

I know my sheep and my sheep know me."

John 10:14

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, you may think you know where the pastures are greener. At times you may even try to sneak under the fence or walk another path. But as your good shepherd, I know your name. And I will never stop looking for you and calling you back. You may not understand My reason for boundaries, but the gate is there to protect you. I will feed you with nourishing food—not just for your body, but for your soul. I will give you rest, refreshment, and joy for your journey. Stay close, because I am all you need.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
Wherever I go—up steep mountain paths, through the deep valleys and green pastures, or around still waters—You walk beside me, refreshing my spirit and restoring my soul. If I stray, You pursue me until I can rest safely in Your arms again. What a wonderful shepherd You are!

SIMPLE TRUTH

You can't hear the shepherd's voice if you're always following the wrong sheep.

THE EDGES OF HIS WAYS BY AMY CARMICHAEL

Jan 8

2 Sam. 7:25 Do as Thou hast said.

This morning, just as I had read for the first time, the words “Do as Thou hast said” brought a deep sense of restfulness.

David was thinking about his kingdom. We may be thinking about the great dark world, or about our selves and our strangely persistent need of grace, strength and guidance. Whatever be the subject of our thoughts, we are met by the eternal promises of God, promises that exactly meet our need. And how many soever be the promises, we know that in our Lord Jesus Christ is the Yea, and through Him is the Amen.

So all we have to do is to do what David did, take God at His word. We do not need to say much. With the confident simplicity of a very small child who has never heard of a grown-up breaking his word, we may say, “Do as Thou hast said.”

January 9
MORNING
Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth.

Jehovah Nissi (The LORD my banner). — When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners. — The LORD hath brought forth our righteousness: come, and let us declare in Zion the work of the LORD our God. — We are more than conquerors through him that loved us. — Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. — The captain of our salvation.

My brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. — Valiant for the truth. — Fight the LORD's battles. — Be strong, all ye people of the land, saith the LORD, and work: fear ye not. — Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. — Yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

PSA. 60:4. Exo. 17:15. Isa. 59:19. Psa. 20:5. Jer. 51:10. Rom. 8:37. I Cor. 15:57. Heb. 2:10. Eph. 6:10. Jer. 9:3. I Sam. 18:17. Hag. 2:4,5. John 4:35. Heb. 10:37.

EVENING
One thing is needful.

There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us. Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God. — O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.

I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. Lord, evermore give us this bread. — Mary ... sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. — One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

LUKE 10:42. Psa. 4:6,7. Psa. 42:1,2. Psa. 63:1. John 6:35,34. Luke 10:39. Psa. 27:4.

Vineyards in the Wilderness

"I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness…And I will give her her vineyards from thence" (Hosea 2:14-15).

A strange place to find vineyards--in the wilderness! And can it be that the riches which a soul needs can be obtained in the wilderness, which stands for a lonely place, out of which you can seldom find your way? It would seem so, and not only that, but the "Valley of Achor," which means bitterness, is called a door of hope. And she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth!

Yes, God knows our need of the wilderness experience. He knows where and how to bring out that which is enduring. The soul has been idolatrous, rebellious; has forgotten God, and with a perfect self-will has said, "I will follow after my lovers." But she did not overtake them. And, when she was hopeless and forsaken, God said, "I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her." What a loving God is ours! --Crumbs

We never know where God hides His pools. We see a rock, and we cannot guess it is the home of the spring. We see a flinty place, and we cannot tell it is the hiding place of a fountain. God leads me into the hard places, and then I find I have gone into the dwelling place of eternal springs. --Selected

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

FORGIVENESS

"For I will forgive their wickedness

and will remember their sins no more."

Jeremiah 31:34

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, of course I know your past. Why do you wrestle with something that I so long ago forgave? My death paid for your wrong actions and attitudes. The "books" are now balanced. I no longer hold you accountable for what you did in the past. You are forgiven. Now let Me fill those clean pages with a future that I have designed especially for you. Hold your head up, but keep your heart bowed before Me. Together, let's press on to the prize for which I have called you.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
Lord, the past is gone, and I must leave it behind. Although I remember my sins well, You have thrown them into the sea of forgetfulness. You remember them no more; You refuse to hold me responsible for what You have forgiven. If You forgive me so completely, can I do any less?

SIMPLE TRUTH

God will never abandon a repentant heart

THE EDGES OF HIS WAY BY AMY CARMICHAEL

The only thing that matters is to please Me.

Have you noticed that if you go to sleep with the thought of Him Whom your soul loveth, you waken---at least often it is so---with some little word from Him, a verse from His Book, or a hymn, or just a simple word that tells you nothing new, but somehow helps.

"The only thing that matters is to please Me," that was the word that woke me a few days ago, and it has not gone away. When the thought of the things that I cannot do comes and tries to trouble me, this little word comes at once. The other things seem to matter. I often think they do matter. But they are as though they did not matter in comparison with pleasing the Lord Jesus.

The word---that simple word---reminded me of those other words, "All that pleases is but for a moment. All that grieves is but for a moment. Only the eternal is important." Are any of you tried about anything? I think if you listen you will hear Him say, The only thing that matters is to please Me.

January 10
MORNING
I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Christ loved the church, and gave himself for it; that be might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. — Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.

The peace of God ... passeth all understanding. — Let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body.

Our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work. — Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I THES. 5:23. Eph. 5:25,27. ‑Col. 1:28. Phi. 4:7. ‑Col. 3:15. II Thes. 2:16,17. ‑I Cor. 1:8.

EVENING
Will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth?

Let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them. — I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by my glory. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.

Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them.

Ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. — Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you. — Ye ... are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
The heathen shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

II CHR. 6:18. Exo. 25:8. ‑Exo. 29:43,45. Psa. 68:18. II Cor. 6:16. ‑I Cor. 6:19. ‑Eph. 2:22. Ezek. 37:28.

Polish Comes Through Trouble

"He hath made me a polished shaft" (Isa. 49:2).

There is a very famous "Pebble Beach" at Pescadero, on the California coast. The long line of white surf comes up with its everlasting roar, and rattles and thunders among the stones on the shore. They are caught in the arms of the pitiless waves, and tossed and rolled, and rubbed together, and ground against the sharp-grained cliffs. Day and night forever the ceaseless attrition goes on--never any rest. And the result?

Tourists from all the world flock thither to gather the round and beautiful stones. They are laid up in cabinets; they ornament the parlor mantels. But go yonder, around the point of the cliff that breaks off the force of the sea; and up in that quiet cove, sheltered from the storms, and lying ever in the sun, you shall find abundance of pebbles that have never been chosen by the traveler.

Why are these left all the years through unsought? For the simple reason that they have escaped all the turmoil and attrition of the waves, and the quiet and peace have left them as they found them, rough and angular and devoid of beauty. Polish comes through trouble.

Since God knows what niche we are to fill, let us trust Him to shape us to it. Since He knows what work we are to do, let us trust Him to drill us to the proper preparation.

"O blows that smite! O hurts that pierce This shrinking heart of mine! What are ye but the Master's tools Forming a work Divine?"
"Nearly all God's jewels are crystallized tears."

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

HIGH PRIEST

For we do not have a high priest who

is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses,

but we have one who has been tempted in every way,

just as we are—yet was without sin.

Hebrews 4:15

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, are you struggling with temptation? Rest in Me. Your weakness is My opportunity to make you strong. You are not fighting your battles alone. I walked in your shoes before you ever took a step. As your high priest, I paid the supreme sacrifice with My own life—to make a way of escape for you. Ask Me, and I will keep evil far from you.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
In the desert, garden, cities, or on the mountaintop, Lord, You faced the temptations of Your enemies without failing. You've experienced my sorrows, shared my joys, understood my weaknesses, and felt my struggles. You have made me a victor of God's dreams, not a victim of Satan's schemes. Thank You, Lord.

SIMPLE TRUTH
When temptation comes knocking at your door, reply firmly, "No room."

Edges of His Ways, by Amy Carmichael

1 Samuel 23. 16: And Jonathan Saul's son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.

God make us all His Jonathans. There is a great hunter abroad in the world. Like Saul who sought David every day, he seeks souls every day, never a day's respite, always the hunt is on. Although the words stand for ever, "but God delivered him not into his hand" (vs. 14), yet sometimes souls tire of being hunted, and like David they are in a wilderness in a wood. Then is Jonathan's chance. But notice what he does, he does not so comfort David that he becomes necessary to him. "He strengthened his hand in God." He leaves his friend strong in God, resting in God, safe in God. He detaches his dear David from himself and he attaches him to his "Very Present Help" (Psalm 46.1). Then Jonathan went to his house, and ode in the wood---with God.

January 11
MORNING
Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Zion.

To us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. — All men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. — By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. — Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.

I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and peoples, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; and cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

PSA. 65:1. I Cor. 8:6. ‑John 5:23. ‑Heb. 13:15. ‑Psa. 50:23. Rev. 7:9,10,12.

EVENING

Who redeemeth thy life from destruction.

Their Redeemer is strong; the Lord of hosts is his name. — I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction.

As the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. — When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe.

PSA. 103:4. Jer. 50:34. ‑Hos. 13:14. Heb. 2:14,15. John 3:36. Col. 3:3,4. ‑II Thes. 1:10.

"Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God" (Isa. 40:1).

Store up comfort. This was the prophet's mission. The world is full of comfortless hearts, and ere thou art sufficient for this lofty ministry, thou must be trained. And thy training is costly in the extreme; for, to render it perfect, thou too must pass through the same afflictions as are wringing countless hearts of tears and blood. Thus thy own life becomes the hospital ward where thou art taught the Divine art of comfort. Thou art wounded, that in the binding up of thy wounds by the Great Physician, thou mayest learn how to render first aid to the wounded everywhere. Dost thou wonder why thou art passing through some special sorrow? Wait till ten years are passed, and thou wilt find many others afflicted as thou art. Thou wilt tell them how thou hast suffered and hast been comforted; then as the tale is unfolded, and the anodynes applied which once thy God wrapped around thee, in the eager look and the gleam of hope that shall chase the shadow of despair across the soul, thou shalt know why thou wast afflicted, and bless God for the discipline that stored thy life with such a fund of experience and helpfulness.
--Selected

God does not comfort us to make us comfortable, but to make us comforters.
--Dr. Jowett

They tell me I must bruise
The rose's leaf,
Ere I can keep and use
Its fragrance brief.
"They tell me I must break
The skylark's heart,
Ere her cage song will make
The silence start.
They tell me love must bleed,
And friendship weep,
Ere in my deepest need
I touch that deep.
Must it be always so
With precious things?
Must they be bruised and go
With beaten wings?
Ah, yes! by crushing days,
By caging nights, by scar
Of thorn and stony ways,
These blessings are!

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

MASTER

"Master, Master". . . .

"Who is this? He commands even

the winds and the water,

and they obey him."

Luke 8:24-25

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, you will never be at peace until you submit to My authority. My commands are not burdensome, and neither are they unreasonable. Have you not learned that with one word I can send demons fleeing and dispense angel beings to carry out My wishes? Relinquish your misplaced control, no matter what your circumstances. You are not the captain of your fate. I am.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
Lord, I hear Your quiet whispers as You comfort my heart and calm my fears. With a simple "Peace, be still!" a thousand raging thoughts obey Your voice. Gently, You set my sails toward land. I praise You, master of my life.

SIMPLE TRUTH

When God is in control, He puts our fears on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back