Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt all of us can relate to what Chambers writes for today. The disciples, though called to a high responsibility in the garden of Gethsemane, failed because of natural fatigue. For both the Pals and Cals, added to the normal stresses of life are the emotional, mental, and physical fatigue that results from dealing with the chronic demands and stress of this disease. I'm sure we've all experienced failures in our attitudes and actions: a less than joyful tone of voice - discharging a needed task out of mere duty, but grudgingly in our heart - perhaps even resentment because of our circumstances. Then we feel awful because of these failures. I think Chambers offers good advice consistent with Php 3:13-14:

"Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
-Phil

My Utmost for His Highest
Oswald Chambers
February 18

Taking the Initiative Against Despair
Matthew 26:46

In the Garden of Gethsemane, the disciples went to sleep when they should have stayed awake, and once they realized what they had done it produced despair. The sense of having done something irreversible tends to make us despair. We say, "Well, it's all over and ruined now; what's the point in trying anymore." If we think this kind of despair is an exception, we are mistaken. It is a very ordinary human experience. Whenever we realize we have not taken advantage of a magnificent opportunity, we are apt to sink into despair. But Jesus comes and lovingly says to us, in essence, "Sleep on now. That opportunity is lost forever and you can't change that. But get up, and let's go on to the next thing." In other words, let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him.

There will be experiences like this in each of our lives. We will have times of despair caused by real events in our lives, and we will be unable to lift ourselves out of them. The disciples, in this instance, had done a downright unthinkable thing --- they had gone to sleep instead of watching with Jesus. But our Lord came to them taking the spiritual initiative against their despair and said, in effect, "Get up, and do the next thing." If we are inspired by God, what is the next thing? It is to trust Him absolutely and to pray on the basis of His redemption.

Never let the sense of past failure defeat your next step.

Psalm 131 is one of my favorites, and describes the heart of a person that has peacefully received the comfort that complete confidence in the wisdom, goodness, and faithfulness of the Lord. I think it gets to the core of what MacDonald was addressing.
-Phil

Psalm 131
O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
2 Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
From this time forth and forever.

Daily Light on the Daily Path
Samuel Bagster
February 19

Morning:

The LORD giveth wisdom:
out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Trust in the LORD with all thy heart; and lean not to thy own
understanding. If any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of
God, who giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and
it shall be given to him. The foolishness of God is wiser than
men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. God hath
chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.
That no flesh should glory in his presence.

The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth
understanding to the simple. Thy word have I hid in my heart,
that I might not sin against thee.

All bore him testimony, and wondered at the gracious words
which proceeded out of his mouth. Never man spoke like this
man. Of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who from God is made to us
wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

Pro 2:6 Pro 3:5 Jas 1:5 1Co 1:25 1Co 1:27 1Co 1:29 Psa 119:130 Psa 119:11 Luk 4:22 Joh 7:46 1Co 1:30

Evening:

The year of my redeemed is come.

Ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty
throughout all the land to all its inhabitants: it shall be a
jubilee to you; and ye shall return every man to his possession,
and . . . to his family.

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall
they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew
is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with
the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God: and the
dead in Christ shall rise first: then we who are alive and
remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to
meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will
redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave,
I will be thy destruction.

Their Redeemer is strong; the LORD of hosts is his name.

Isa 63:4 Lev 25:10 Isa 26:19 1Th 4:16-17 Hos 13:14 Jer 50:34

Streams in the Desert
L.B. Cowman
February 19

"And every branch that beareth fruit he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit" (Joh 15:2).

A child of God was dazed by the variety of afflictions which seemed to make her their target. Walking past a vineyard in the rich autumnal glow she noticed the untrimmed appearance and the luxuriant wealth of leaves on the vines, that the ground was given over to a tangle of weeds and grass, and that the whole place looked utterly uncared for; and as she pondered, the Heavenly Gardener whispered so precious a message that she would fain pass it on:

"My dear child, are you wondering at the sequence of trials in your life? Behold that vineyard and learn of it. The gardener ceases to prune, to trim, to harrow, or to pluck the ripe fruit only when he expects nothing more from the vine during that season. It is left to itself, because the season of fruit is past and further effort for the present would yield no profit. Comparative uselessness is the condition of freedom from suffering. Do you then wish me to cease pruning your life? Shall I leave you alone?" And the comforted heart cried, "No!" -- Homera Homer-Dixon

It is the branch that bears the fruit,
That feels the knife,
To prune it for a larger growth,
A fuller life.

Though every budding twig be lopped,
And every grace
Of swaying tendril, springing leaf,
Be lost a space.

O thou whose life of joy seems reft,
Of beauty shorn;
Whose aspirations lie in dust,
All bruised and torn,

Rejoice, tho' each desire, each dream,
Each hope of thine
Shall fall and fade; it is the hand
Of Love Divine

That holds the knife, that cuts and breaks
With tenderest touch,
That thou, whose life has borne some fruit
May'st now bear much.
-- Annie Johnson Flint

Our Daily Walk
F.B. Meyer
February 19

THINGS FOR AND AGAINST

"Jacob said: All these things are against me."-- Gen 42:36.

"What shall we then say to these things: If God be for us, who can be against us? Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors, through Him that loved us."-- Rom 8:31-37.

THY COMPLAINT is very bitter, thou Prince of Israel! What ails thee so sorely? Is there none to comfort?

I do well to be sorrowful! The days of my years have been few and evil! Driven from my father's home; a stranger in a strange land for thirty years; in constant dread of my brother; compelled by the misdeeds of my sons to flee the country; bereaved of my beloved Rachel; lamed through my resistance to God's Angel--I had already suffered to the uttermost; but now we are straitened by famine and want; Joseph is not, Simeon is detained in prison as a hostage, and they are demanding Benjamin, the son of my old age and my right hand."

Let us beware of passing hasty judgments on God's dealings with us. He cannot work out His fair design without some cross-stitches on this side of the canvas. The black clouds are only His water-cisterns, and on the other side they are bathed in sunshine. Do not look at your sorrows from the lowlands of your pilgrimage---but from the uplands of God's purpose. No chastening for the present is joyous but grievous, nevertheless, afterward.., dwell on that Afterward! If Jacob had not been led along this special path, he would never have come out on the shining tableland, where God Himself is Sun.

"In all these things we are more than conquerors! " These are brave words, thou strenuous soul, how darest thou reverse the findings of the patriarch? Hast thou sounded the depths? Hast thou been in the pit?

"Ay! I have most certainly been there! I have experienced tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, peril, and sword; thrice beaten with rods, once stoned. In journeyings and perils, in hunger and thirst, in cold and pain. But nothing has succeeded in separating me from the love of Christ; and I am persuaded that neither life nor death, things present nor things to come.., shall ever separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Yes! thou great Apostle and Lover of Christ, thou art right! In all these things we are more than conquerors, through Him who has loved us--our Saviour, Jesus Christ!

PRAYER
Help me, O Lord, to believe that what seem to be my losses are really gains, and that each ounce of affliction is adding to the weight of glory, not hereafter only, but now! AMEN.

I couldn't help but think of all the Cals as I read today's "Utmost". May the Lord's grace abound to you all.
-Phil

My Utmost for His Highest
Oswald Chambers
February 19

Taking the Initiative Against Drudgery
Isaiah 60:1 [“Arise, shine; for your light has come,
And the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.”
]

When it comes to taking the initiative against drudgery, we have to take the first step as though there were no God. There is no point in waiting for God to help us --- He will not. But once we arise, immediately we find He is there. Whenever God gives us His inspiration, suddenly taking the initiative becomes a moral issue --- a matter of obedience. Then we must act to be obedient and not continue to lie down doing nothing. If we will arise and shine, drudgery will be divinely transformed.

Drudgery is one of the finest tests to determine the genuineness of our character. Drudgery is work that is far removed from anything we think of as ideal work. It is the utterly hard, menial, tiresome, and dirty work. And when we experience it, our spirituality is instantly tested and we will know whether or not we are spiritually genuine. Read John 13. In this chapter, we see the Incarnate God performing the greatest example of drudgery --- washing fishermen's feet. He then says to them, "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet" (Joh 13:14). The inspiration of God is required if drudgery is to shine with the light of God upon it. In some cases the way a person does a task makes that work sanctified and holy forever. It may be a very common everyday task, but after we have seen it done, it becomes different. When the Lord does something through us, He always transforms it. Our Lord takes our human flesh and transforms it, and now every believer's body has become "the temple of the Holy Spirit" (1Co 6:19)

Faith's Checkbook
Charles Spurgeon
February 19

“Better Farther On ”
- Nah 1:12

There is a limit to affliction. God sends it, and God removes it. Do you sigh and say, "When will the end be?" Remember that our griefs will surely and finally end when this poor earthly life is over, Let us quietly wait and patiently endure the will of the LORD till He cometh.

Meanwhile, our Father in heaven takes away the rod when His design in using it is fully served. When He has whipped away our folly, there will be no more strokes. Or, if the affliction is sent for testing us, that our graces may glorify God, it will end when the LORD has made us bear witness to His praise. We would not wish the affliction to depart till God has gotten out of us all the honor which we can possibly yield Him.

There may today be "a great calm." Who knows how soon those raging billows will give place to a sea of glass, and the sea birds sit on the gentle waves? After long tribulation the Rail is hung up, and the wheat rests in the garner. We may, before many hours are past, be just as happy as now we are sorrowful. It is not hard for the LORD to turn night into day. He that sends the clouds can as easily clear the skies. Let us be of good cheer. It is better on before. Let us sing hallelujah by anticipation.

Our Daily Walk
F.B. Meyer
February 20

JOY IN THE HOUR OF TRIAL
"Count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations. Knowing that the trying of your faith worketh patience."-- Jam 1:2-3.

WE ARE bidden to count our trials as pure Joy, since our patient endurance leads ultimately to the finished product of a holy character. All the trials and afflictions that beset us are seen and shared by our Heavenly Father. God did not save Israel from the ordeal of affliction, but passed through it with them (Exo 3:7-9; Isa 63:9). Evidently there was a wise purpose to be served by those bitter Egyptian experiences. So with ourselves. There is a reason for our trials which we do not understand now, but we shall do some day, when we stand in the light with God. Afflictions are not always chastisement, though in some cases that may be so; but more often we are in grief through manifold trials, that the proof of our faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, may be found unto praise and honour and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Let us therefore rejoice, and magnify His lovingkindness. What a theme is here for praise! Sweet psalms and hymns have floated down the ages, bearing comfort for myriads, because those who wrote them passed through searching discipline. And it may be that we who have passed through great tribulation will be able to contribute notes in the Heavenly music that the unfallen sons of light could never sing. The Psalter of Eternity could not be complete without the reminiscences, set to music, of the grace that ministered to us in our earthly trials, and brought us up out of the furnace of pain.

Then we shall tell how God's glorious arm went also at our right hand, as at the right hand of Moses; of how the stony paths became soft as mossy grass; of how He led us out of the scorching heat into green pastures and waters of rest; and how He provided for us to make for Himself a glorious Name. Yes, we will make mention of the Lord, according to all that He shall have bestowed upon us, according to His mercies, and according to the multitude of His lovingkindness. We will tell the story of how the Angel of His Presence saved us; how, in His love and pity, He redeemed us; and how He bare and carried us all the days of old. We shall have a great story to tell! "My heart and my flesh fail, but Thou art the strength of my heart and my portion for ever! None of them that trust in Him shall be desolate.'"

PRAYER
Give me, O Lord, a steadfast heart, which no unworthy affection may drag downwards; give me an unconquered heart, which no tribulation can wear out; give me an upright heart, which no unworthy purpose may tempt aside. AMEN.

Morning and Evening
Charles Spurgeon
February 20

Morning

“God, that comforteth those that are cast down.”
- 2Co 7:6

And who comforteth like him? Go to some poor, melancholy, distressed child of God; tell him sweet promises, and whisper in his ear choice words of comfort; he is like the deaf adder, he listens not to the voice of the charmer, charm he never so wisely. He is drinking gall and wormwood, and comfort him as you may, it will be only a note or two of mournful resignation that you will get from him; you will bring forth no psalms of praise, no hallelujahs, no joyful sonnets. But let God come to his child, let him lift up his countenance, and the mourner’s eyes glisten with hope. Do you not hear him sing-

“‘Tis paradise, if thou art here;
If thou depart, ‘tis hell?”

You could not have cheered him: but the Lord has done it; “He is the God of all comfort.” There is no balm in Gilead, but there is balm in God. There is no physician among the creatures, but the Creator is Jehovah-rophi. It is marvellous how one sweet word of God will make whole songs for Christians. One word of God is like a piece of gold, and the Christian is the gold beater, and can hammer that promise out for whole weeks. So, then, poor Christian, thou needest not sit down in despair. Go to the Comforter, and ask him to give thee consolation. Thou art a poor dry well. You have heard it said, that when a pump is dry, you must pour water down it first of all, and then you will get water, and so, Christian, when thou art dry, go to God, ask him to shed abroad his joy in thy heart, and then thy joy shall be full. Do not go to earthly acquaintances, for you will find them Job’s comforters after all; but go first and foremost to thy “God, that comforteth those that are cast down,” and you will soon say, “In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.”

Evening

“Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.”
- Mat 4:1

A holy character does not avert temptation-Jesus was tempted. When Satan tempts us, his sparks fall upon tinder; but in Christ’s case, it was like striking sparks on water; yet the enemy continued his evil work. Now, if the devil goes on striking when there is no result, how much more will he do it when he knows what inflammable stuff our hearts are made of. Though you become greatly sanctified by the Holy Ghost, expect that the great dog of hell will bark at you still. In the haunts of men we expect to be tempted, but even seclusion will not guard us from the same trial. Jesus Christ was led away from human society into the wilderness, and was tempted of the devil. Solitude has its charms and its benefits, and may be useful in checking the lust of the eye and the pride of life; but the devil will follow us into the most lovely retreats. Do not suppose that it is only the worldly-minded who have dreadful thoughts and blasphemous temptations, for even spiritual-minded persons endure the same; and in the holiest position we may suffer the darkest temptation. The utmost consecration of spirit will not insure you against Satanic temptation. Christ was consecrated through and through. It was his meat and drink to do the will of him that sent him: and yet he was tempted! Your hearts may glow with a seraphic flame of love to Jesus, and yet the devil will try to bring you down to Laodicean lukewarmness. If you will tell me when God permits a Christian to lay aside his armour, I will tell you when Satan has left off temptation. Like the old knights in war time, we must sleep with helmet and breastplate buckled on, for the arch-deceiver will seize our first unguarded hour to make us his prey. The Lord keep us watchful in all seasons, and give us a final escape from the jaw of the lion and the paw of the bear.

Streams in the Desert
L.B. Cowman
February 21

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him" (Psa 37:7).

Have you prayed and prayed and waited and waited, and still there is no manifestation?

Are you tired of seeing nothing move? Are you just at the point of giving it all up? Perhaps you have not waited in the right way? This would take you out of the right place the place where He can meet you.

"With patience wait" (Rom 8:25). Patience takes away worry. He said He would come, and His promise is equal to His presence. Patience takes away your weeping. Why feel sad and despondent? He knows your need better than you do, and His purpose in waiting is to bring more glory out of it all. Patience takes away self-works. The work He desires is that you "believe" (Joh 6:29), and when you believe, you may then know that all is well. Patience takes away all want. Your desire for the thing you wish is perhaps stronger than your desire for the will of God to be fulfilled in its arrival.

Patience takes away all weakening. Instead of having the delaying time, a time of letting go, know that God is getting a larger supply ready and must get you ready too. Patience takes away all wobbling. "Make me stand upon my standing" (Dan 8:18, margin). God's foundations are steady; and when His patience is within, we are steady while we wait. Patience gives worship. A praiseful patience sometimes "long-suffering with joyfulness" (Col 1:11) is the best part of it all. "Let (all these phases of) patience have her perfect work" (Jam 1:4), while you wait, and you will find great enrichment. -- C. H. P.

Hold steady when the fires burn,
When inner lessons come to learn,
And from this path there seems no turn
"Let patience have her perfect work."
-- L.S.P.

Our Daily Walk
L.B. Cowman
February 21

THE REFINER'S FIRE
"He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver."-- Mal 3:3.

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ."-- 1Pe 1:7.

NOTHING IS harder to bear than the apparent aimlessness of suffering.

They say that what breaks a convict's heart in gaol is to set him to say carry stones from one side of the prison to the other, and then back again! But we must never look upon the trials of life as punishments, because all penalty was borne by our Lord Himself. They are intended to destroy the weeds and rubbish of our natures, as the bonfires do in the gardens. Christ regards us in the light of our eternal interests, of which He alone can judge. If you and I knew what sphere we were to fulfil in the other world, we should understand the significance of His dealings with us, as now we cannot do. The Refiner has a purpose in view, of which those who stand beside Him are ignorant, and, therefore, they are unable to judge the process which He is employing.

Dare to believe that Christ is working to a plan in your life. He loves you, so be patient! He would not take so much trouble unless He knew that it was worth while. "We do not prune brambles, or cast common stones into the crucible or plough sea-sands!" You must be capable of some special service, which can only be done by a carefully-prepared instrument, and so Christ sits beside you as the Refiner, year after year, that you may miss nothing.

Whilst the Fire is hot keep conversing with the Refiner. Ponder these words: "He shall sit as a Refiner and Purifier of silver." The thought is specially suitable for those who cannot make long prayers, but they can talk to Christ as He sits beside them. Nicholas Hermann tells us that, as he could not concentrate his mind on prolonged prayer, he gave up set times of prayer and sought constant conversations with Christ. Speak to Him, then, in the midst of your daily toil. He hears the unspoken prayer, and catches your whispers. Talk to Christ about your trials, sorrows, and anxieties! Make Him your Confidant in your joy and happiness! Nothing makes Him so real as to talk to Him aloud about everything!

PRAYER
Let the Fire of Thy Love consume in me all sinful desires of the flesh and of the mind, that I may henceforth continually abide in Jesus Christ my Lord, and seek the things where He sits at Thy right hand. AMEN.

Morning and Evening
Charles Spurgeon
February 21

Morning

“He hath said.”
- Heb 13:5 [Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,”]

If we can only grasp these words by faith, we have an all-conquering weapon in our hand. What doubt will not be slain by this two-edged sword? What fear is there which shall not fall smitten with a deadly wound before this arrow from the bow of God’s covenant? Will not the distresses of life and the pangs of death; will not the corruptions within, and the snares without; will not the trials from above, and the temptations from beneath, all seem but light afflictions, when we can hide ourselves beneath the bulwark of “He hath said”? Yes; whether for delight in our quietude, or for strength in our conflict, “He hath said” must be our daily resort. And this may teach us the extreme value of searching the Scriptures. There may be a promise in the Word which would exactly fit your case, but you may not know of it, and therefore you miss its comfort. You are like prisoners in a dungeon, and there may be one key in the bunch which would unlock the door, and you might be free; but if you will not look for it, you may remain a prisoner still, though liberty is so near at hand. There may be a potent medicine in the great pharmacopoeia of Scripture, and you may yet continue sick unless you will examine and search the Scriptures to discover what “He hath said.” Should you not, besides reading the Bible, store your memories richly with the promises of God? You can recollect the sayings of great men; you treasure up the verses of renowned poets; ought you not to be profound in your knowledge of the words of God, so that you may be able to quote them readily when you would solve a difficulty, or overthrow a doubt? Since “He hath said” is the source of all wisdom, and the fountain of all comfort, let it dwell in you richly, as “A well of water, springing up unto everlasting life.” So shall you grow healthy, strong, and happy in the divine life.

Evening

“Understandest thou what thou readest?”
- Act 8:30 [Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”]

We should be abler teachers of others, and less liable to be carried about by every wind of doctrine, if we sought to have a more intelligent understanding of the Word of God. As the Holy Ghost, the Author of the Scriptures is he who alone can enlighten us rightly to understand them, we should constantly ask his teaching, and his guidance into all truth. When the prophet Daniel would interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, what did he do? He set himself to earnest prayer that God would open up the vision. The apostle John, in his vision at Patmos, saw a book sealed with seven seals which none was found worthy to open, or so much as to look upon. The book was afterwards opened by the Lion of the tribe of Judah, who had prevailed to open it; but it is written first-”I wept much.” The tears of John, which were his liquid prayers, were, so far as he was concerned, the sacred keys by which the folded book was opened. Therefore, if, for your own and others’ profiting, you desire to be “filled with the knowledge of God’s will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding,” remember that prayer is your best means of study: like Daniel, you shall understand the dream, and the interpretation thereof, when you have sought unto God; and like John you shall see the seven seals of precious truth unloosed, after you have wept much. Stones are not broken, except by an earnest use of the hammer; and the stone-breaker must go down on his knees. Use the hammer of diligence, and let the knee of prayer be exercised, and there is not a stony doctrine in revelation which is useful for you to understand, which will not fly into shivers under the exercise of prayer and faith. You may force your way through anything with the leverage of prayer. Thoughts and reasonings are like the steel wedges which give a hold upon truth; but prayer is the lever, the prise which forces open the iron chest of sacred mystery, that we may get the treasure hidden within.

Daily Light on the Daily Path
Samuel Bagster
February 22

Morning:

What man is he that feareth the LORD?
him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thy eye be
good, thy whole body shall be full of light.

Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path. Thy
ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way,
walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn
to the left. I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way
which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with my eye. Be ye not
as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding:
whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come
near to thee. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he
that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall surround him. Be glad in
the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye
that are upright in heart.

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it
is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Psa 25:12 Mat 6:22 Psa 119:105 Isa 30:21 Psa 32:8-11 Jer 10:23

Evening:

When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid:
but, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.

There arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into
the boat, so that it was now full. And he was in the stern of
the boat, asleep on a pillow.

Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and
supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known
to God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I will both lie down in peace, and sleep: for thou only,
LORD, makest me dwell in safety. He giveth his beloved sleep.

They stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord
Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a
loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he
had said this, he fell asleep. Absent from the body, . . .
present with the Lord.

Pro 3:24 Mar 4:37-38 Php 4:6-7 Psa 4:8 Psa 127:2 Act 7:59-60 2Co 5:8

We are informed in the Scripture passage referenced in today's "Daily Strength" that thanksgiving is to accompany our prayers and requests. We offer thanksgiving before we have seen the manifestation of God's answer because, by faith, we know that He will answer our prayers with the best possible answer. He might not answer in the way the we, in our wisdom, think best and desirable; but it is our faith in His wisdom, goodness, and love by which we can be absolutely certain that His answer will always ultimately prove to be the best. Such faith in Him can allow us to be genuinely thankful for the answer even before we know what it is. Lack of genuine thanksgiving in our heart betrays a lack of faith in His wisdom and kindness.
-Phil

Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Mary W. Tileston
February 22

"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Php 4:6.

We tell Thee of our care,
Of the sore burden, pressing day by day,
And in the light and pity of Thy face,
The burden melts away.

We breathe our secret wish,
The importunate longing which no man may see;
We ask it humbly, or, more restful still,
We leave it all to Thee.

SUSAN COOLIDGE.

That prayer which does not succeed in moderating our wish, in changing the passionate desire into still submission, the anxious, tumultuous expectation into silent surrender, is no true prayer, and proves that we have not the spirit of true prayer. That life is most holy in which there is least of petition and desire, and most of waiting upon God; that in which petition most often passes into thanksgiving. Pray till prayer makes you forget your own wish, and leave it or merge it in God's will. The Divine wisdom has given us prayer, not as a means whereby to obtain the good things of earth, but as a means whereby we learn to do without them; not as a means whereby we escape evil, but as a means whereby we become strong to meet it.

F. W. ROBERTSON.

A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God
Morning Meditations
William Mason
February 22

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God, for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.- Psa 42:11.

We are not to expect the sunshine of joy all the way through this vale of tears. Comfortable frames and joyful feelings, though sweet and delightful, are not always so profitable to the soul. Were we always on the mount of joy, alas, we should forget we are strangers and pilgrims on the earth; but should be for building tabernacles of rest in a polluted place; and cry out with the highly-favored disciples, "It is good for us to be here; but they knew not what they said."- Luk 9:33. It is the glory of a Christian to live by faith on Jesus; to judge of his Saviour's love from the word of truth, more than by sense and feeling; yea under dejection and disquiet of soul, then to hope and trust in God, to check and rebuke one's self for doubts and diffidence; this is truly the exercise of faith. Faith supports the soul, and lifts it above the determinations of carnal reason and the suggestions of sense. The believer is to abide steadily by the word of truth, though in heaviness for a season; being persuaded that shortly he shall rejoice in and praise God, even for this gloomy dispensation; concluding from the word of God's grace and faithfulness, "Jehovah Jesus is the health of my countenance, and my God." This is the very joy of faith. Such the sweet experience of David. Mark the frequent declarations to this purpose in the 42d and 43d- Psalms. The Holy Ghost hath recorded these for our instruction.

Disciple, it is well for thee to learn wisdom hereby. Thy frame may vary; the foundation of God's love standeth sure; his promises cannot fail; the word of truth, yea the oath of Jehovah, are engaged for the salvation of all who "have fled to Jesus for refuge." Thou mayest meet with many things, from within and without, to cast down thy soul, to distress and disquiet thee; but thou art called to look to Jesus, not to stagger at the promises through unbelief; but, like the father of the faithful, "against hope to believe in hope;" not to consider thine own corrupt nature, its lustings to evil, its enmity to grace, so as to give up thy hope. There is ever cause of humility, but no reason for casting away thy confidence in Jesus in and under thy worst frames. Though thou sinkest to hell, in the view of thy deserts, yet through the righteousness of Jesus, life and salvation are procured for the hell-deserving. Encourage thy soul to hope in him, so shall thou praise and glorify him. "I will bless the Lord at ALL TIMES, his praise shall continually be in my mouth." Why so? "Because my soul shall make her boast in the Lord."- Psa 34:1-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back