Status
Not open for further replies.
Streams in the Desert
L.B. Cowman
February 13

"The hill country shall be thine" (Jos 17:18, RV).

There is always room higher up. When the valleys are full of Canaanites, whose iron chariots withstand your progress, get up into the hills, occupy the upper spaces. If you can no longer work for God, pray for those who can. If you cannot move earth by your speech, you may move Heaven. If the development of life on the lower slopes is impossible, through limitations of service, the necessity of maintaining others, and such-like restrictions, let it break out toward the unseen, the eternal, the Divine.

Faith can fell forests. Even if the tribes had realized what treasures lay above them, they would hardly have dared to suppose it possible to rid the hills of their dense forest-growth. But as God indicated their task, He reminded them that they had power enough. The visions of things that seem impossible are presented to us, like these forest-covered steeps, not to mock us, but to incite us to spiritual exploits which would be impossible unless God had stored within us the great strength of His own indwelling.

Difficulty is sent to reveal to us what God can do in answer to the faith that prays and works. Are you straitened in the valleys? Get away to the hills, live there; get honey out of the rock, and wealth out of the terraced slopes now hidden by forest. -- Daily Devotional Commentary

Got any rivers they say are uncrossable,
Got any mountains they say 'can't tunnel through'?
We specialize in the wholly impossible,
Doing the things they say you can't do.
-- Song of the Panama builders

The heart-attitude expressed in today's "Daily Strength" is perhaps one of the most difficult, yet most important, for us to truly learn and embrace. Our fear of what God may will for us fights against our faith in His goodness and wisdom that forms His will for our lives.

When I accept as self-evident that the wisdom of the One who created the universe is undoubtedly more trustworthy than my own, and that the Father who sacrificed His Son in order to save me is incontrovertible evidence of His goodness and kindness, then my faith will conquer my fear. Then I can in confidence and peace yield every detail of my life to His keeping.
-Phil

Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Mary W. Tileston
February 13

"Let Him do to me as seemeth good unto Him." 2Sa 15:26.

To have, each day, the thing I wish,
Lord, that seems best to me;
But not to have the thing I wish,
Lord, that seems best to Thee.

Most truly, then, Thy will is done,
When mine, O Lord, is crossed;
It is good to see my plans o'erthrown,
My ways in Thine all lost.

H. BONAR.

O Lord, Thou knowest what is best for us; let this or that be done, as Thou shalt please. Give what Thou wilt, and how much Thou wilt, and when Thou wilt. Deal with me as Thou thinkest good. Set me where Thou wilt, and deal with me in all things just as Thou wilt. Behold, I am Thy servant, prepared for all things: for I desire not to live unto myself, but unto Thee; and oh, that I could do it worthily and perfectly!

THOMAS A KEMPIS.

Dare to look up to God, and say, "Make use of me for the future as Thou wilt. I am of the same mind; I am one with Thee. I refuse nothing which seems good to Thee. Lead me whither Thou wilt, clothe me in whatever dress Thou wilt. Is it Thy will that I should be in a public or a private condition, dwell here, or be banished, be poor or rich? Under all these circumstances, I will testify unto Thee before men."

EPICTETUS.

Our Daily Walk
F.B. Meyer
February 14

GOD'S PARTNERSHIP IN OUR AFFLICTION
"In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the Angel of His presence saved them; in His love and in His pity He redeemed them: and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old."—Isa 43:9.

MANY ARE the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivereth him out of them all. There is the affliction of ill-health, which compels us to stand aside and leave our tasks to others. The languor of sleepless nights, the inactivity and loneliness of the long days, the fear of being burdensome to others. The anxiety as to how this or that interest may fare in inexperienced hands. The sense of helplessness and weakness. These are the ingredients of that cup which many have to drink!

There is the affliction of poverty, when every door seems closed against our appeal; when hundreds of applicants are answering the same advertisement; when the cruse of oil has been drained of its last drop, and the barrel scraped bare; when the rent is overdue, the boots are wearing out in vain journeys, and the faces and clothes of the children begin to tell the tale of privation--then the iron seems to enter our soul!

There is the affliction of uncongenial companionship. "Woe to them that sojourn in Mesech, and dwell in the tents of Kedar!" To how many the Psalmist's words would express their precise position: "My soul hath long dwelt with him who hateth peace; I am for peace, but when I speak, they are for war." There is even profounder suffering, when man or woman is mated for life with one who is out of Christ, or is the one Christian disciple in an irreligious family. It was with a deep knowledge of human nature that the Apostle urged his converts not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

There is also the affliction of temptation. Jealousy, pride, discontent, self-will--these assail us from without, and too often they find a response from within, as though there were an accomplice in hiding.

Such are some of the problems and afflictions which darken our experience. The mistake is that we face our troubles without God's fellowship, consciously realised. We carry our burdens, without casting them upon the Lord, and claiming the grace which waits to help us in our hour of need. We do not realise that He has come down to deliver us, because He knows our sorrows. In all our afflictions He is afflicted.

PRAYER
O God, we have no help but Thine, nor do we need another arm save Thine to lean upon. Teach us how to gain strength from Thee hour by hour, in the glance of an eye, the breathing of a sigh, the brief ejaculation, may we take into ourselves that strength which Thou hast stored for us in Christ Jesus our Lord. AMEN.

Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Mary W. Tileston
February 14

"I would have you without carefulness." 1Co 7:32.

O Lord, how happy should we be
If we could cast our care on Thee,
If we from self could rest;
And feel at heart that One above,
In perfect wisdom, perfect love,
Is working for the best.

J. ANSTICE.

Cast all thy care on God. See that all thy cares be such as thou canst cast on God, and then hold none back. Never brood over thyself; never stop short in thyself; but cast thy whole self, even this very care which distresseth thee, upon God. Be not anxious about little things, if thou wouldst learn to trust God with thine all. Act upon faith in little things; commit thy daily cares and anxieties to Him; and He will strengthen thy faith for any greater trials. Rather, give thy whole self into God's hands, and so trust Him to take care of thee in all lesser things, as being His, for His own sake, whose thou art.

E. B. PUSEY.

Morning Thoughts
Octavius Winslow
February 15

"He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with him also freely give us all things?" Rom 8:32.

Look at the cross; behold His precious Gift transfixed to it, and that by His own hand, and for your sins. Then look at your present circumstances, survey your needs, your trials, your chastisements, your bereavements, your heart sickening, heartbreaking tribulations, and know that God still is love. If He had love strong enough, deep enough, to give you Jesus to tear Him, as it were, from His bosom, and to transfix Him on yonder accursed tree for your iniquities has He not love enough to bow His ear to your cry, and His heart to your sorrow? Will He not rescue you from this difficulty, deliver you out of this trouble, shield you in this temptation, supply this need, and support, succour, and comfort you in this grief? Oh yes, He will! doubt it not! The cross of Calvary is a standing pledge standing until sin and guilt, need and woe, shall be known no more that God, who "spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, will with Him also freely give us all things" necessary to our good, and promotive of His glory.

Daily Light on the Daily Needs
Samuel Bagster
February 15

Morning:

Who can say, I have made my heart clean?

The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to
see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They
are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy:
there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Then they that
are in the flesh cannot please God.

To will is present with me; but how to perform that which
is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the
evil which I would not, that I do. We are all as an unclean
thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and
we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind,
have taken us away.

The scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise
by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
That God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not
imputing their trespasses to them.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the
truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and
just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
unrighteousness.

Pro 20:9 Psa 14:2-3 Rom 8:8 Rom 7:18-19 Isa 64:6 Gal 3:22 2Co 5:19 1Jn 1:8-9

Evening:

The floods lift their waves.

The LORD on high is mightier than the noise of many waters,
yea, than the mighty waves of the sea. O LORD God of hosts,
who is a strong LORD like thee? or to thy faithfulness around
thee? Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when its waves arise,
thou stillest them.

Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my
presence, who have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by
a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it?

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee;
and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee.

Peter . . . walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he
saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink,
he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched
forth his hand, and caught him, and said to him, O thou of
little faith, why didst thou doubt?

When I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Psa 93:3 Psa 93:4 Psa 89:8-9 Jer 5:22 Isa 43:2 Mat 14:29-31 Psa 56:3

I think MacDonald's entry for today offers good advice for all of us, and perhaps especially for both CALS and PALS as they deal with the chronic stress of this disease.
-Phil

One Day at a Time
William MacDonald
February 16

“Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful.” (Pro 14:13)

Nothing is perfect in this life. All laughter is mingled with sorrow. Every diamond has a flaw. Each person has some character defect. In all of life, there’s a worm in the apple.

It is good to be idealistic; God has set within us a longing for perfection. But it is also good to be realistic; we never will find absolute perfection under the sun.

It is easy for young people to think that their family is the only one that has quarrels. Or that their parents are the only ones who don’t have scintillating TV personalities.

It is easy to be disappointed with our local church fellowship, all the time supposing that everything is rosy in the church across the street.

Or it is easy to go through life forever looking for friends who are absolutely ideal. We expect perfection in others even though we can’t produce it ourselves.

We should face the fact squarely that everyone has personality flaws, some more glaring than others. Often the more outstanding a person is, the more obvious his faults are. Instead of being disappointed with the flaws, we would do well to emphasize the good qualities in other believers. Everyone has some of these too. But only one Person has all of them combined, that is, the Lord Jesus.

I often think that the Lord has purposely left us with an unsatisfied desire for Perfection down here so that we will look off to Him in whom there is neither spot nor blemish. He represents the sum of all moral beauties. There is no disappointment in Him.

Evening Thoughts
Octavius Winslow
February 16

"I am not alone, because the Father is with Me." Joh 16:32.

Oh, what words are these! Who can harm you now? What can befall you? When and where can you be alone, if your heavenly Father is with you? He is with you on the ocean; He is with you on the land. He is with you in your exile; He is with you at home. Friends may forsake, and kindred may die, and circumstances may change but "my Father is with me!" may, still be your solace and your boast. And, oh, to realize the presence of that Father to walk with God in the absorbing consciousness of His loving eye never removed, of His solemn presence never withdrawn, of His encircling arm never untwined welcome the solitude, welcome the loneliness, welcome the sorrow, cheered, and sweetened, and sanctified by such a realization as this! "I am not alone, because the Father is with Me."

Daily Light on the Daily Path
Samuel Bagster
February 16

Morning:

Thy name is as ointment poured forth.

Christ . . . hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an
offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. To
you therefore who believe he is precious. God also hath
highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every
name: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow. In him
dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. The love of God is shed
abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given to us.
The house was filled with the odour of the ointment. They took
knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the
earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. Emmanuel . . .
God with us. His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor,
The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth
into it, and is safe.

Son 1:3 Eph 5:2 1Pe 2:7 Php 2:9-10 Col 2:9 Joh 14:15 Rom 5:5 Joh 12:3 Act 4:13 Psa 8:1 Mat 1:23 Isa 9:6 Pro 18:10

Evening:

We that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened.

Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not
hid from thee. . . . My iniquities have gone over my head: as an
heavy burden they are too heavy for me. O wretched man that I
am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

The whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together
until now. And not only they, but ourselves . . ., who have
the firstfruits of the Spirit, . . . groan within ourselves,
waiting for the adoption, that is, the redemption of our body.
Now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through
various temptations.

Shortly I must put off this my tabernacle. For this
corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put
on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on
incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality,
then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death
is swallowed up in victory.

2Co 5:4 Psa 38:9 Psa 38:4 Rom 7:24 Rom 8:22-23 1Pe 1:6 2Pe 1:14 1Co 15:53-54

One Day at a Time
William MacDonald
February 17

“In pressure thou hast enlarged me.” (Psa 4:1 Darby)

It is true that “calm seas never made a sailor.” It is through tribulation that we develop patience. It is through pressure that we are enlarged.

Even men of the world have realized that difficulties have educative and broadening values. Charles Kettering once said, “Problems are the price of progress. Don’t bring me anything but problems. Good news weakens me.”

But especially from the Christian world come testimonies to the profit derived from trials.

We read, for instance, “To suffer passes, but to have suffered endures for eternity.”

The poet adds this confirmation:

And many a rapturous minstrel among those sons of light
Will say of his sweetest music, “I learnt it in the night;”
And many a rolling anthem that fills the Father’s home
Sobbed out its first rehearsal in the shade of a darkened room.

Spurgeon wrote, in his inimitable way:

“I am afraid that all the grace I have got out of my comfortable and easy times and happy hours might almost lie on a penny. But the good I have received from my sorrows and pains and griefs is altogether incalculable. What do I not owe to the hammer and the file? Affliction is the best bit of furniture in my house.”

And yet why should we be surprised? Does not the unnamed writer to the Hebrews tell us, “Now obviously no ‘chastening’ seems pleasant at the time: it is in fact most unpleasant. Yet when it is all over we can see that it has quietly produced the fruit of real goodness in the character of those who have accepted it” (Heb 12:11, Phillips).

A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God
William Mason
February 17

Evening

That in me ye might have peace, in the world ye shall have tribulation: But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.- Joh16:33.

Such is Christ's legacy to all his brethren: peace in him: tribulation in the world. Every disciple shall receive these bequests. The former, a triune God of truth and faithfulness is engaged by promise and oath to give. The latter, from the combined trinity, the world, flesh, and the devil, every follower of Jesus will be sure to receive. But, alas! how apt are we, when in the mount of peace with Jesus, to cry, 'Tribulation shall no more affect me!' On the other hand, when in the dreary valley of tribulation, then we are ready to conclude, 'O there is no end to my troubles; I shall see peace no more.' This was the case with David. One while we find him triumphing: "In my prosperity I said I shall never be moved."- Psa 30:6. At another, mournfully complaining, "Thou hidest thy face, and I am troubled."

Too, too apt are we to judge of God's love to us by his providences, instead of his promises. Tribulation in the world is as necessary for the soul as peace in Jesus; or our loving Saviour would not have appointed it for us. One is not incompatible with, nor destructive of the other. Nay, is it not oft the case with thee, O Christian, as of old, that "as sufferings abound, consolation abounds also"?- 2Co 1:5. Hast thou access by faith into the same grace with the church of old? dost thou with them "rejoice in hope of the glory of God?" learn the same note which they sung: "We glory in tribulation." Why? Because they knew that "all things work together for good." Therefore they found by experience these soul-reviving effects: "knowing that tribulation worketh patience, and patience experience, and experience hope, and hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost given unto us."- Rom 5:2-5.

Thus as Christ is ours, all things are ours. Tribulation and distress in the world are ours, as well as hope, patience, peace, love, and joy in Jesus. Sweet is it to observe how our dear Saviour words his legacy: it is like a cross richly ornamented with jewels of infinite value. Tribulation in the world stands encompassed with PEACE in the front, GOOD CHEER and VICTORY in the rear. "Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"- 1Jn 5:5.

Hath my dear Lord this world o'ercome,
In which I've trials great!
Be of good cheer then, O my soul,
Thy vict'ry is complete.

Faith in my Lord doth share the spoils,
And bring me peace of mind:
What tho' the world doth smile or frown
In Christ I vict'ry find

My Utmost for His Highest
Oswald Chambers
February 17

Taking the Initiative Against Depression
1 Kings 19:5 ( He lay down and slept under a juniper tree; and behold, there was an angel touching him, and he said to him, “Arise, eat.”)

The angel in this passage did not give Elijah a vision, or explain the Scriptures to him, or do anything remarkable. He simply told Elijah to do a very ordinary thing, that is, to get up and eat. If we were never depressed, we would not be alive --- only material things don't suffer depression. If human beings were not capable of depression, we would have no capacity for happiness and exaltation. There are things in life that are designed to depress us; for example, things that are associated with death. Whenever you examine yourself, always take into account your capacity for depression.

When the Spirit of God comes to us, He does not give us glorious visions, but He tells us to do the most ordinary things imaginable. Depression tends to turn us away from the everyday things of God's creation. But whenever God steps in, His inspiration is to do the most natural, simple things --- things we would never have imagined God was in, but as we do them we find Him there. The inspiration that comes to us in this way is an initiative against depression. But we must take the first step and do it in the inspiration of God. If, however, we do something simply to overcome our depression, we will only deepen it. But when the Spirit of God leads us instinctively to do something, the moment we do it the depression is gone. As soon as we arise and obey, we enter a higher plane of life.

Morning Thoughts
Octavius Winslow
February 17

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." Psa 116:15.

It is solemnly true that there is a "time to die." Ah! affecting thought a "time to die!" A time when this mortal conflict will be over when this heart will cease to feel, alike insensible to joy or sorrow when this head will ache and these eyes will weep no more best and holiest of all a time "when this corruptible shall put on incorruption, and this mortal shall put on immortality," and we shall "see Christ as He is, and be like Him." If this be so, then, O Christian, why this anxious, trembling fear? Your time of death, with all its attendant circumstances, is in the Lord's hand. All is appointed and arranged by Him who loves you, and who redeemed you infinite goodness, wisdom, and faithfulness consulting your highest happiness in each circumstance of your departure. The final sickness cannot come, the "last enemy" cannot strike, until He bids it. All is in His hand. Then calmly, confidingly, leave life's closing scene with Him. You cannot die away from Jesus. Whether your spirit wings its flight at home or abroad, amid strangers or friends, by a lingering process or by a sudden stroke, in brightness or in gloom, Jesus will be with you; and, upheld by His grace, and cheered with His presence, you shall triumphantly exclaim, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me: your rod and your staff, they comfort me," bearing your dying testimony to the faithfulness of God, and the preciousness of His promises. My time to die is in Your hand, O Lord, and there I calmly leave it.

God has designed a great irony into the path by which wisdom and understanding can be obtained. If we set our minds to understand according to our natural reasoning we will inevitably draw a wrong conclusion. As He has informed us in Is 55:8-9:

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

It is the greatest folly to put our childish wisdom above that of our Creator. And this is what we do when we presume to judge His wisdom as we critique the ways by which He governs the universe.

But when we begin, not by intellectual striving, but simply trusting and believing Him, then He, by His Spirit, will freely give us insight into true wisdom.

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.
(1Cor 2:10-16, NASB)

We can never expect to understand the depths of God's ways, but MacDonald points us today to the first essential step in learning truth from the One is is the Truth. Namely, our first step of true wisdom is to discard our own natural wisdom absolutely confident that He is right even in the things that are most contrary to what we naturally perceive as "right". This is faith. It falls under the principle articulated by Jesus: "
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."(Mt 16:25) This is the great irony.
-Phil

One Day at a Time
William MacDonald
February 18

“Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?” (Gen 18:25)

When there are mysteries in life too deep for us to fathom, we can relax in the confidence that the Judge of all the earth is the God of absolute and infinite righteousness.

There is the question of the status of children who die before reaching the age of accountability. For many of us, it is enough to know that “of such is the kingdom of God.” We believe that they are safe through the blood of Jesus. But for others who are still not satisfied, the words of our verse should be sufficient. God can be counted on to do what is right.

There is the perennial problem of election and predestination. Does God choose some to salvation without at the same time choosing some to be damned? After the Calvinists and Arminians have all had their say, we can have full confidence that there is no unrighteousness with God.

Again there is the seeming injustice that the wicked often prosper while the righteous are passing through deep tribulation. There is the recurring question as to the fate of the heathen who have never heard the Gospel. Men puzzle over why God ever allowed sin to enter. We often stand dumb in the face of tragedies, of poverty and hunger, of horrible physical and mental impairments. Doubt continually murmurs, “If God is in control, why does He permit it all?”

Faith replies, “Wait till the last chapter is written. God hasn’t made His first mistake. When we are able to see things from a clearer perspective, we will realize that the Judge of all the earth has done right.”

God writes in characters too grand
For our short sight to understand;
We catch but broken strokes, and try
To fathom all the mystery
Of withered hopes, of death, of life,
The endless war, the useless strife,—
But there, with larger, clearer sight,
We shall see this—His way was right.
John Oxenham

A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God
William Mason
February 18

Evening

Now abideth-hope. 1Co 13:13.

Gospel faith and Christian hope are twin graces in the heart: they are inseparable. Faith exists not without hope. Hope has no being without faith. Such as a man’s faith is, such is his hope. They both flow from God’s word, as light and heat from the sun. Take away a word spoken, and faith has no being. Without a promise made, hope has no existence. Faith receives and takes possession of Christ, as set forth in the word: hope expects all promised blessings, comforts, and joys in him, with him, and from him, according to the word. “The word of God liveth and abideth for ever.” (1Pe 1:23.) Jesus, who is the essential word, “is our hope.” (1Ti 1:2.) He is the cause of our hope; the object of our hope; and the life of our hope. Therefore, our hope abideth. Yea, though all in nature fails; all in sense forsakes us; and all, as to outward appearances, are against us;-though corruptions rage and foam, and lift up their boisterous waves: though, like St. Paul, we are in the great deep, and see neither sun, moon, nor stars for a season,-yet hope abideth. For Jesus, the object of hope, lives. The grace of hope cannot perish: it is an anchor to the soul; it keeps it sure and steady. Why? because it is not cast within us, but without us. What a foolish mariner would he be, who should think his vessel would ride safe and steady against wind and tide, because he had an anchor on board! Just as foolish are those professors, who cast the anchor of hope within themselves, on their own graces, inherent righteousness as it is called, etc. Why, as the sea-phrase is, the anchor will come home; it will not hold the vessel: there is no ground for it to fasten in. But the Christian’s hope “entered into that within the vail.” (6:19.)-Into heaven itself. It fixes and fastens upon Jesus, who is entered into heaven for us. As by faith we receive the atonement of Christ for our sins, and trust in his righteousness for our justification; so hope looks for, and expects the heart-reviving, soul-sanctifying comforts of this from the Holy Spirit in time; and all the glory and blessedness which Jesus hath, by his life and death, obtained for us, in an endless eternity. Faith has to do with things invisible to sense. God’s truth is the foundation of faith. Faith keeps hope in lively exercise; “looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God, and our Saviour Jesus Christ,” Tit 2:13.

The word of God calls forth my faith,
From thence my hope doth spring:
Founded alone on what God saith,
I can rejoice and sing.

His word is truth, his promise sure;
Hence, faith and hope abide:
My soul in safety shall endure,
Nor aught from Christ divide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back