Not open for further replies.

ac1560

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello! I read each sticky before posting, and I have tried to look online before posting. However, I’ve just had some difficulty understanding and would just like to find some clarity. For the past two months, I have had increasingly bad swallowing issues. These choking spells occur roughly every two days. I either cough heavily after drinking water (with a choking sensation but nothing comes up), or I actually physically choke up my drink, and it gets everywhere. After I have these spells, I cough for the next few days and have constant tickle in my throat.

Now, I have been choking more frequently, with two of the instances happening a day apart. Is this normal, or should I approach my doctor with my concerns (ALS or not)? I can’t tell if choking like this is normal or if I actually have something wrong with me. I used to choke semi-regularly, but the past month as gotten me concerned.

I appreciate any possible response!

edit: I meant to say choking/swallowing issues when drinking. My apologies!!

Yes see your doctor as one should always do when experiencing a symptoms that is worrying the person.

do not go in saying I think I have ALS but rather describe your symptoms as you did here. There are many causes of swallowing difficulties and to focus on one rare one would hinder you finding a true answer. If you swallow ok in between it is even more unlikely to be ALS but your doctor will direct your care

Thanks Nikki! I planned to approach my doctor with just the symptoms as it could uncover a more likely diagnosis, as you said. I’ve just been really confused discerning what is normal versus what should be a concern. It does not happen every time I swallow, but once every other day/few days. I really appreciate the time you took to respond, and I will schedule an appointment with my GP to see if he can refer me to an ENT or even provide a swallow test in house. Thanks again for your response, and I hope you have a great day!

Just a note that your issue may not require a swallow test or an ENT referral, so don't show up expecting that to be the case. Allergies to airborne irritants, food allergies (that certainly can emerge in adults), dry mouth, and GERD are the most common reasons. Obstructed breathing in sleep can also contribute, so you can video your sleep as well.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back