Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
South Glens Falls
I'm New To Forums, And Found My Way Here After I Searched A Google Website.
In Any Case; I Believe That My Sinus Drains Mucus/phlegm During The Time That
I'm Sleeping And Accumulates In My Throat.
What Happens Next, Is That I Will Wake Up Suddenly Choking On The Phlegm.
Until I Can Cough It Up, I Will Spend Several Seconds (maybe Minutes) Panicking To Breath Normally.
I Have This Fear That I Will Pass Out Or Even Die. This Problem Also Occurs During Times When I Have A Bad Chest Cold And/or Sore Throat.
Can Anyone Help Me With A Solution To The Stopped Breathing Problem And Subsequent Panicking ?
Thank You.......nick

Hi, Rick ... Have you talked to a doctor about this? I'd suggest seeing your regular doctor and asking if a sleep study is appropriate.

Good luck!

In the mean time, have you tried a decongestant before bedtime to dry up your sinuses so they don't drain as much?

AL.

Or Antihistamine they dry things up even for excess saliva Geo

What are people using for excess saliva? Antihistamines?

Hi, sral ... I'm using the "transderm-scop" prescription patch behind my ear. It's about the size of a dime. It's a sea-sickness med, but cuts down saliva as part of the anti-nausea effect. It works a little too well ... I have a dry mouth, except when eating or drinking, when the saliva kicks in again.

However ... I have thick saliva, probably from not taking in enough liquids and not swallowing, so I use Musinex to cut that. It works pretty well, if you can get the pill down ... it's like swallowing a bitter hockey puck, and you can't mash it as it's time released.

I'm having some side effects that I think are related to the scop patch, including painful eyeballs, which is very strange! But this sent me researching the warnings about the patch, and I learned that it can bring on glacoma, so I'm going to get some feedback from my neuro about getting something else. I've also had difficulty urinating, which is a switch for an elderly woman! (lord, we talk about everything here, don't we?), and also the patch makes my skin around it and scalp very itchy.

The warnings that come with it say it should be used with care with older patients. Your mom is younger than me, but if she considers using the patch, she should be aware of the side effects. But aside from that ... it works on cutting down saliva!

Hope you and your mom are both doing well.

'

Beth,

Thank you for sharing your info and for your kind wishes.

My mom's excess saliva requires her to constantly swallow. I think she chokes on it every now and then but nothing serious just more of a nuisance.

The patch seems to have too many side effects. If something with a similar relief but not as many side effects existed then it would be worth a try for her. Right now seeing that the excess acts mainly as a nuisance I think she'll pass on the patch.

Thanks again Beth for your kindess in sharing!

I have learned that we swallow every 2 minutes wether we are concious of it or not even while sleeping .Most who dont have this disease are just not aware of it as they are given no reason to be concerned . if you find your not choking on it ,i dont see a problem i have caught myself at times choking on it but rarely .Keep in mind when you are choking on it at least your not silently aspirating it into your lungs
These are called silent aspirators ,this is where the Epiglottis dosent shut and you dont get a signal to choke or cough . Pneumonia sets in because of the liquid, too much of it the lungs cant handle just like a drowning victim .This is why i highly recommend a Pneumonia shot . Geo

My mom is using the patch behind her ear and 75mg of amitriptlyne and still has excessive saliva that is driving her crazy. Also getting a raw spot on the left side of her chin from wiping so much.
Tfisher

I was just recently put on glycopyrrolate (Rubinol) because of phlegm. I take 1 mg at night but can take it up to 3 times a day. At 1 mg it hasn't solved the problem but it has helped it quite a bit.

I wonder if a little dab of petroleum jelly or the fluid inside a vitamin "E" capsule would help that raw spot? It would protect it, at any rate!

Hey Jeff,
Put on the same medicine, and I am finding it does help some. I guess we all have the same but different symptoms. I have so much thick phelgm in my throat always.. Hope it helps us and others. Keep us posted, and I will do the same..

My mom's doctor suggested Rubinol for the saliva, but instead she upped her amitriptlyne but maybe she should change to the Rubinol since I had to do the Hemlick the other day because she couldn't clear her through of the phelgm and this problem seems to be getting worse.

My mom believes she is getting very close to not being able to eat anything, does that include not being able to swallow either?

I was just recently put on glycopyrrolate (Rubinol) because of phlegm. I take 1 mg at night but can take it up to 3 times a day. At 1 mg it hasn't solved the problem but it has helped it quite a bit.

That helped me a lot. Best thing since fried chicken!

Started the Rubinol about 2 weeks ago, this has helped my mom a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back